Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
1/16-17 Anafrontal/Coastal Low Snows Disco/Obs

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, jfklganyc said:

Reading posts on here from afar I thought when I landed at Kennedy today that I’d be landing in a snowglobe with treacherous roads And at least 2 inches on the ground. Little did I know that I would not even begin to see snow cover until I was abeam co-op city in the Bronx...Sporadic dusting at best!

If you guys want to keep the integrity and professionalism of this weather site some of you have to get real with your observations. I have a Birdseye view of the New York City metro area several days a week… And I find some of the descriptions on these observation threads very questionable.

I can't name one person here from NYC who reported anything more than half an inch...if you can provide evidence to the contrary please oblige. 

16 minutes ago, Wetbulbs88 said:

I can't name one person here from NYC who reported anything more than half an inch...if you can provide evidence to the contrary please oblige. 

I don’t need to point out specific posts because it makes it personal. I pointed out something yesterday and I did it again today. Everyone is well-intentioned; but let’s not get too carried away with the obs. ❄️ :)

1 hour ago, jfklganyc said:

Reading posts on here from afar I thought when I landed at Kennedy today that I’d be landing in a snowglobe with treacherous roads And at least 2 inches on the ground. Little did I know that I would not even begin to see snow cover until I was abeam co-op city in the Bronx...Sporadic dusting at best!

If you guys want to keep the integrity and professionalism of this weather site some of you have to get real with your observations. I have a Birdseye view of the New York City metro area several days a week… And I find some of the descriptions on these observation threads very questionable.

We had a solid inch at 120th and Broadway. So not all of the city was shut out   

3 hours ago, Bluesnow said:

Don't know who you are but I'm certainly not going to lie about 1". Grow up. I'm at work in Grest Neck 200' elevation. This pic was taken out my window at 9:45. It snowed hard for 2 hours after this. Melting some. Is that it stopped. Driving up here was brutal at the height of it. Mostly because people are morons. 

IMG_0762.JPG

Welcome to the board and thanks for posting.  Just curious, what's with the water bottle?

PS, I am originally from Syosset.  Got some old photos here, including the Blizzard of 1978:

http://www.northshorewx.com/19780207.html

5 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Welcome to the board and thanks for posting.  Just curious, what's with the water bottle?

PS, I am originally from Syosset.  Got some old photos here, including the Blizzard of 1978:

http://www.northshorewx.com/19780207.html

Thanks for those pics of 78, I was in HS in 9th grade and had never seen anything like it: I was in central NJ and I think we had 17 inches. Did not see its like again until 83; then all the way to 96 ( March 93 was wicked but was more of ten inch ice and sleet storm here ) since 2001 well you know the rest.....my kids think huge blizzards are common....

4 hours ago, jfklganyc said:

Judging by the well written and intentioned statement above, a lot of us will be taking remedial obs. 101 in summer school. On the other hand we may have finally found out who mentored the Central Park measure crew.

Some folks are obviously more accustomed to driving in winter weather than others, but I think it's fair to say that any accumulation of snow on roadways reduces traction and slows down traffic. The first inch or two usually makes for the most difficult conditions, whereas driving in deep snow is fairly easy in comparison. Maybe that's just my perception?

15 minutes ago, seanick said:

Perfect. Trying to plan out where I'm going to photograph sunrise. Looking for a nice snowy foreground 

I think I'm going to hit up Mohonk for sunrise. The pitch pines always catch and hold snow very well due to the stiff needles and rigid branches that don't sway much in the wind. A repeat of this from 2015 would be nice. 

6 hours ago, Bluesnow said:

The picture below was just taken where I work.  Queens/Nassau border 7 miles due NE of JFK.  T

keep in mind there was a lot of melting and compaction yesterday.  I would venture to guess you could see this from up in a plane, and it’s in the NYC metro area.  BIG difference between north and south shore

8ED35D67-9A48-45FE-824B-50282EC6EA66.jpeg

Nice!! Pretty similar to what we had on the UWS. The north shore is a whole different climate from the south shore for many reasons, snow being just one. At home in wantagh T.

6 hours ago, Bluesnow said:

The picture below was just taken where I work.  Queens/Nassau border 7 miles due NE of JFK.  T

keep in mind there was a lot of melting and compaction yesterday.  I would venture to guess you could see this from up in a plane, and it’s in the NYC metro area.  BIG difference between north and south shore

That picture looks like you got it off google. Lol ok jk I got a dusting in the bronx

On 1/18/2018 at 8:49 AM, Bluesnow said:

I was just in great neck and was surprised at how much snow there was. The snow cover really didn’t start until great neck. So it really was confined to just that area 

3 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I was just in great neck and was surprised at how much snow there was. The snow cover really didn’t start until great neck. So it really was confined to just that area 

Drove from Commack to Bayside yesterday morning. Was a light dusting of snow in my area in the morning, which continued along the northern state Pkwy in the hills until about exit 38. From exit 38 to the Wantagh there was no snow. Starting at the Wantagh, there was a light dusting all the way along the NSP until the Queens line, when there was clearly a bit more snow. From the Cross island north to Bayside there was maybe 1/2" of snow on the side of the road. Didnt see any areas with close to an inch, but i was not in Great Neck so i cant speak for there. 

I will say that GN has its own micro-climate. I lived in Albertson for years and when we would visit our cousins in GN they would always have more snow on the ground, and did exceptionally well in marginal events, which is to be expected given its far NW location and hilly terrain. 

On 1/18/2018 at 8:49 AM, Bluesnow said:

lol I didnt even follow or track this "storm" it's like it didn't happen :P

glad for you guys but unless it's a big event it's not worth it to me to obsess over days of tracking.

Archived