Newest Member
    joxey
1/16-17 Anafrontal/Coastal Low Snows Disco/Obs

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Nibor said:

I know a few who take the train from Port Jervis.

It's interesting how some people view Orange County so far yet a good chunk of it is closer to Manhattan than 75% of Suffolk. I live in far western Orange County (51 miles as the crows fly ) to Manhattan which is the equivalent to Coram on the island. 

5 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

This is the key to watch. Models have this warm tongue steadily advancing Northward until about 6-8z

925mb_sf.gif?1516138714880

Crazy wind shift. South of the LIE is 5-6* warmer than north, all of sudden my temp plummeted. Maybe the cold sound helps us out a bit, who knows. But i certainly was not expecting my temp to plummet like that. Very cool mesoscale feature, maybe it holds off the warm nose a bit. 

1 minute ago, psv88 said:

Crazy wind shift. South of the LIE is 5-6* warmer than north, all of sudden my temp plummeted. Maybe the cold sound helps us out a bit, who knows. But i certainly was not expecting my temp to plummet like that. Very cool mesoscale feature, maybe it holds off the warm nose a bit. 

I've always felt the North shore would do markedly better than the South, however QPF has now become an issue thanks to the dry slotting.

1 hour ago, HeadInTheClouds said:

What's your best guess for ratios north of 84 in dutchess county? I was thinking 10-12:1. 

I'd hedge a bit lower than climo, which is around 12:1 in our area. Forcing undershooting the DGZ, heavy riming, and compaction due to marginal surface temps are all limiting factors, though I did briefly discuss in the NW 'burbs thread one possible upside. My expectations are around 8:1. Should be a nice sticky snowfall that makes everything look beautiful when the first rays of sun break through tomorrow afternoon.

25 minutes ago, psv88 said:

some hi-res guidance has hinted at this, even to the point where parts of the city start as freezing rain. 

Archived