Newest Member
    joxey
1/16-17 Anafrontal/Coastal Low Snows Disco/Obs

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

That’s actually not entirely true. The cold ocean flow prevented a total meltdown from the blizzard. At least at my house on the south shore. I still have a decent amount of natural snow left.

I’m not sure where you’re at exactly...but I just flew over Long Beach on the ILS31R. Beyond the frozen edges Of the bay I did not see any snow cover whatsoever. Not doubting your account, But I just want to paint an accurate picture...I flew over 20 minutes ago and there is no snow cover in Long Beach west to Rockaway east to Lido and Jones. Again, I’m not being confrontational but I’m just putting that out there.

11 minutes ago, jfklganyc said:

I’m not sure where you’re at exactly...but I just flew over Long Beach on the ILS31R. Beyond the frozen edges Of the bay I did not see any snow cover whatsoever. Not doubting your account, But I just want to paint an accurate picture...I flew over 20 minutes ago and there is no snow cover in Long Beach west to Rockaway east to Lido and Jones. Again, I’m not being confrontational but I’m just putting that out there.

We don’t have snow cover anymore in Long Beach, we have shopping mall piles and that’s it. I have a couple of tiny left over ice piles. The warm torch last weekend took the solid cover out.

Some observations:  I just left JFK drove up to Hastings on Hudson. The entire ride through Queens into the Bronx and Westchester featured cloudy skies and the temperature was 35 +/-3 degrees for the entire stretch. No sun, no 40s in this south- north corridor. Coldest point crossing the Whitestone Bridge warmest point in the bowels of the Van Wyck near Jamaica.

2 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

We don’t have snow cover anymore in Long Beach, we have shopping mall piles and that’s it. I have a couple of tiny left over ice piles. The warm torch last weekend took the solid cover out.

Yeah, same here. The greatest snow piles I ever saw living in Long Beach was at the end of the epic 12/26/10 - 1/27/11 run. It looked like a new mountain range forming in the empty lot between Edwards and Riverside near the boardwalk. 

13 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

There's a few drifts around, maybe even a few traces in very sheltered locations if you care to look for them, but mostly just old piles.  That was mostly warmth and fog.  We only had 0.45" of rainfall over the weekend.

Temperature roller coaster continues.  Down to 36 now.

1 minute ago, snowman19 said:

Guys, beware using 10:1 snow ratios!  The ratios are going to be lower than that. The lift in the DGZ is not good, the boundary layer is extremely marginal and mid-level temps are marginal. The ratios are going to stink for this storm

Mostly a non event until you're north of the metro. A nuisance 1-3" type storm that won't affect many since temps/roads will be above freezing. 

4 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Guys, beware using 10:1 snow ratios!  The ratios are going to be lower than that. The lift in the DGZ is not good, the boundary layer is extremely marginal and mid-level temps are marginal. The ratios are going to stink for this storm

That's not entirely accurate. The warm layer is extremely shallow. The interior has a period of good lift around 700mb where temps will be -8C  to -12C which is generally favorable.

This has the potential of delivering a period of very heavy wet snow around sunrise. 

Archived