Newest Member
    SnowHabit
1/16-17 Anafrontal/Coastal Low Snows Disco/Obs

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, PB COLTS NECK NJ said:

This is a 4 to 8 inch snowstorm per the UKEMT . 

Rates to that extent cool the column.

UKIETotalPrecip.png.075bbfea1db0e3336215cd25a35b088a.png

Again , this is still trending S .

0z

IMG_0770.GIF

UKIETotalPrecip.png.075bbfea1db0e3336215cd25a35b088a.png

12z

PA_000-072_0000.gif

You’re really banking on that precip shield digging South and clipping Long Island. Models could easily be overdone South of the city today.

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

You’re really banking on that precip shield digging South and clipping Long Island. Models could easily be overdone South of the city today.

0z last night 

IMG_0770.GIF

The models are catching to a stronger WAR and bringing the energy up and not out. The A/F gets to the coast in time for this is start in CNJ and SNE like it did yesterday 

Honestly I would be surprised for anyone from NYC N/W to see anything but snow, maybe some snow will be wasted in extreme E NJ, NYC, etc., but I just cant see much mix/rain NW of there with this set up (arctic air in place, no wind of the ocean, low off the coast, most precip on the front or behind, etc.)

4 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

It is not trending south. Trends in the last 24 hours are for a slower and more moist system that is closer to the coast.  Forecast soundings suggest to me this won't take long to flip to snow, even at JFK and most of Long Island.  

5a5ce95bd1d81_gfs.sfcwind_mslp.us_ma.trend(1).gif.e9aba1c48ec9447c6602ba6285065401.gifIt is

See the UKMET precip shield , that west trend is allowing the neg to snow further south.

I have been on the west trend for 5 days 

Now go look at the precip on the GFS from 12z yesterday goes from nothing in N/E SW bending into NNJ 

That`s South  with the .4 amounts / not to DC or Philly but it will start in CNJ 

Models are rightfully keying in on that warm tongue for heat release and the location of initial development.  There have even been a few thunderstorms east of the Outer Banks this morning. Otherwise, most of this system involves that weak low throwing Atlantic moisture up over the cold dome, as the upper jet structure isn't entirely favorable for cyclogenesis until the low is way up in Canada.

180109_009_2352_n18.thumb.jpg.47c70e62027ac91299e412cc5fcbaa94.jpgMod

9 minutes ago, Zelocita Weather said:

How much QPF does the EURO show for NE NJ/NYC?

not much - Euro shows rain to start south of I-80 and total snowfall south of I -80 an inch or so -  North of I-80 amounts increase significantly every mile north you go 

Just now, NJwx85 said:

The Euro is weak with the over running and more robust with the surface low, that's why precip is so light over the West and heavier for the far interior and New England.

Much of what you see here is rain or a mix outside of the area of purple.

5a5cf1a53adc2.png

This is a mix ? 

KNYC 

Hour 48 

850 -4

925 - 2

BL 32

DP 31

Just now, jm1220 said:

The Euro isn’t seeing the coastal enhancement of precip the GFS has at all. Most of it’s well inland. I think we need heavier precip where I am to be confident that it’s snow. This would probably be rainy/showery stuff for LI. 

The strongest lift is over the interior even on the GFS. The difference is that the GFS and NAM eventually pull that a bit South because of the stronger SLP.

2 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Dude you need to give it a rest. Look at the snowfall maps. There could also be a warm layer in there somewhere that you wouldn't see without looking at the soundings.

I would like if you presented some hard evidence of what you have been preaching here lately Yanksfan……….not saying you will be wrong …….

Just now, NJwx85 said:

Dude you need to give it a rest. Look at the snowfall maps. There could also be a warm layer in there somewhere that you wouldn't see without looking at the soundings.

Look at the snowfall maps ? 

I will never take you seriously again / no one should.

THESE ARE THE LEVELS /YOU DON`T USE SOME ALGO PRECIP GRID TO MAKE A FORECAST 

Hour 48 

850 -4

925 - 2

BL 32

DP 31

what layer is warm there WHAT LAYER ? 

Dude , no one should ever view you an even a passable analyst in here after that. 

Just now, NEG NAO said:

I would like if you presented some hard evidence of what you have been preaching here lately Yanksfan……….

I'm not preaching anything.

I speak objectively. I'm sorry if it's not what some posters want to hear.

If all the models are showing a sharp cutoff on the snowfall close to the city then it's probably safe to assume that it is correct. 

As the SLP pulls away temps crash and everyone ends as a period of snow. I have never argued against that.

Archived