Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Med/Long Range Disco Part 2

WinterWxLuvr

14 minutes ago, WeathermanB said:

If we get this pattern would that be more favorable for Jonas-like snowstorms or more boldly, the Feb. 2010 snows?

Not into TWC's absurd winter storm naming with zero criteria, but as for Feb 2010 type snow I would say pretty unlikely. That was a Nino and a much different pattern overall than the upcoming one. Realistically what we should hope for in Feb-March is a few light to moderate events. Maybe a 6-10 type deal somewhere in the subforum.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

^ The EPS looks pretty impressive and is moving things along nicely with the pattern progression in the LR from it's previous runs. Hopefully it is more correct than the GEFS at this point, which looks to have taken a step back from yesterday's runs.

The GEFS has been wrong on almost all of the long term shifts beyond Day 10 this winter so I fully expect it’s wrong again 

2 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Not into TWC's absurd winter storm naming with zero criteria, but as for Feb 2010 type snow I would say pretty unlikely. That was a Nino and a much different pattern overall than the upcoming one. Realistically what we should hope for in Feb-March is a few light to moderate events. Maybe a 6-10 type deal somewhere in the subforum.

Yeah.. i was thinking that as the least we could get from Feb-March, but we'll see how it pans out

50 minutes ago, WeathermanB said:

If we get this pattern would that be more favorable for Jonas-like snowstorms or more boldly, the Feb. 2010 snows?

Check out the met class thread. I just posted a bunch of pattern looks that deal with this. To get a 2010 type storm we would need nao blocking.  I did post on what a pna driven snowy pattern could look like. 

I'll post this over in the met class thread too but the early march 2015 storm is another example of how to snow in an epo driven pattern with no Atlantic help. I already posted some others. The key is having the cold centered to our north so the boundary can press south of us but we stay close enough that waves can ride along and affect us. 

That looks like the EPS.  3/15 worked by having a lead wave pull the front south then aother wave rode the boundary.  That's a typical way to snow in an epo pattern with no Atlantic help.  

IMG_3735.GIF.51b370f3661874f8c304304bc6ff3f47.GIF

1 hour ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The GEFS has been wrong on almost all of the long term shifts beyond Day 10 this winter so I fully expect it’s wrong again 

Gefs got the flip right during Christmas week. Eps was hanging the trough back while the gefs was more progressive. Tables are turned right now with the eps being more progressive and gefs being more stubborn. My guess is verification will be somewhere in between unless the gefs speeds things up over the next 3-4 days. 

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

Check out the met class thread. I just posted a bunch of pattern looks that deal with this. To get a 2010 type storm we would need nao blocking.  I did post on what a pna driven snowy pattern could look like. 

Yea, miller a or blocked coastal pattern isn't even on the radar right now. Progressive flow with cold lurking works but med range is the earliest we can take anything seriously. We're a long way away from getting a feel for anything discreet. This week is going to be boring for a while. 

Yea, miller a or blocked coastal pattern isn't even on the radar right now. Progressive flow with cold lurking works but med range is the earliest we can take anything seriously. We're a long way away from getting a feel for anything discreet. This week is going to be boring for a while. 

If EPS is right, we should start seeing some good fantasy hits.

11 minutes ago, Superstorm said:

If EPS is right, we should start seeing some good fantasy hits.

Yea, I'm personally pretty sick of that game. Return on investment has been ugly and that's being kind. Lol. We can keep an eye on the trailing wave with the front during the 28th-30th period. Longshot but within a range now that can trend better and be somewhat believable. Oddly the eps likes it more than the gefs. Still a long shot no matter how you look at it though. 

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

Yea, I'm personally pretty sick of that game. Return on investment has been ugly and that's being kind. Lol. We can keep an eye on the trailing wave with the front during the 28th-30th period. Longshot but within a range now that can trend better and be somewhat believable. Oddly the eps likes it more than the gefs. Still a long shot no matter how you look at it though. 

I think teleconnections have been better than ensembles at d7+ this winter.  There has been hints at them moving in our favor, but it's not consistent yet where they're heading.

I thought the 12z gfs ticked a little more in the right direction for the trailing wave deal.  FL panhandle --> ATL --> C VA.  Cold air will be iffy.  But if we can get a little more separation for a stronger system and a bit further east track it could turn into a rain to snow situation.

1 hour ago, Bob Chill said:

Yea we knew a progressive northern stream Nina pattern wasn't a year for tracking day 10 storms. Pattern recognition at best until inside day 5 then we can look at details. 

6 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Gefs starting to light up d10-15. 12z was a nice run. 

Things are going exactly how we wanted so far. The other side of the relax pattern is showing right on time and progressing. It's nice if that continues and we don't have to deal with the delay delay delay that often comes in a bad year. 

I know many are down on this winter. And the western crew has a right to be. But in general I'm not.  Unless were in a moderate or modoki Nino I just assume we're not getting one of those 2-3 great winters a decade. The odds of pulling a 2014 is so remote it's not worth getting your hopes up. And if we throw out those couple of aberration winters a decade and set expectations on what the majority of others are like then this year is on track to be acceptable. If we had lucked into one 3-6" event during the last 3 weeks we would be having a very good year so far. But we have prime snow climo in front of us and if we manage to pull off just one solid region wide event and tack on a few small stat padders then this ends up as well as we had any right to expect. 

17 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Things are going exactly how we wanted so far. The other side of the relax pattern is showing right on time and progressing. It's nice if that continues and we don't have to deal with the delay delay delay that often comes in a bad year. 

I know many are down on this winter. And the western crew has a right to be. But in general I'm not.  Unless were in a moderate or modoki Nino I just assume we're not getting one of those 2-3 great winters a decade. The odds of pulling a 2014 is so remote it's not worth getting your hopes up. And if we throw out those couple of aberration winters a decade and set expectations on what the majority of others are like then this year is on track to be acceptable. If we had lucked into one 3-6" event during the last 3 weeks we would be having a very good year so far. But we have prime snow climo in front of us and if we manage to pull off just one solid region wide event and tack on a few small stat padders then this ends up as well as we had any right to expect. 

And really, in talking about this decade...Is it accurate to say that we have had more storms that hit 12" (that's my personal happy mark for snow :lol:) than we did in the previous two decades? Seems like we've rattled off a few more of those than usual this decade!

If February does indeed wind up featuring a prolonged period of well below average temperatures in the east like December and this month have had, then this will truly go down in the books as a blockbuster winter as far as temperatures go. The only fly in the ointment is that you're never gonna have a clear, confident idea of what lies ahead for the latter portion of winter on January 21st of any year. That's because every year it's the same broken record right now from most of the pro long-range mets. Remember last year's "American Pie February" we were supposed to have? Or how 'bout "December to Remember"? How can you take someone seriously after monumental fails like that? Their biases, regardless of what motivates them, are pretty obvious. Dig deep enough for cold signals in the dead of winter and you'll find them. Doesn't mean they're gonna come to fruition verbatim.

February would have to be very cold and consistently so for most of the month to tilt this winter to a cold one.  Can't see it being recalled as a blockbuster for cold regardless of how it ends.  December was within a half-degree to a degree of normal region-wide, in spite of two (non-consecutive) below-normal weeks.  The first week of January saw historic cold, but when the month ends we may again fall about where December did.  If anything I suspect this winter will be remembered like most Ninas for its variable temperatures.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived