Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Days and days of snow disco

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Eh... I wouldn’t count on that, especially down this way. Maybe I’m wrong, but it looks kind of warm too.

and 3-5 isn’t a light event?

This is the model thread.  I’m correcting your mis-statement.

CMC with more coming after 72 has urs.

B291C9F9-2EF3-4520-852F-0F9740F372E3.png

It's really always been about two waves in this week's trough evolution.

Some runs earlier on ... two or more days ago, they were melding the two together.  In recent cycles the 2nd of the two waves has been minoring out, such that what remains now is the first of the two. 

I just think that's interesting, because should the Euro come in a bit more robust with the 2nd system ...then the boundary between it and the first of the two may get skewed again.

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Ukie is juiced too. 

IMG_0867.GIF

She’s coming. I like H5 height trends I’m seeing off the east coast. Def better downstream ridging showing up across guidance. 

Expectations in check though. The progressive problem won’t go away entirely, but i do expect it to continue to abate. Not anticipating a huge correction here, but I think this is a good spot to be with upside potential for a SECS and lowside potential (higher confidence) for widespread 6” snowfall for majority of eastern NE.

8 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It's really always been about two waves in this week's trough evolution.

Some runs earlier on ... two or more days ago, they were melding the two together.  In recent cycles the 2nd of the two waves has been minoring out, such that what remains now is the first of the two. 

I just think that's interesting, because should the Euro come in a bit more robust with the 2nd system ...then the boundary between it and the first of the two may get skewed again.

Yea noticed the same tip. I have given up on the trailing wave predominating given current guidance (inside day 4) has latched onto wave one, and even the EPS now appears to favor wave one.

No doubt this still remains an important piece of uncertainty in the grand scheme of things...

58 minutes ago, weathafella said:

This is the model thread.  I’m correcting your mis-statement.

CMC with more coming after 72 has urs.

B291C9F9-2EF3-4520-852F-0F9740F372E3.png

It’s hardly a mis-statement, just different threshold for what is light moderate etc.

Either way, any snow is good snow. Hopefully this keeps trending better and we can talk low end warning.

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

And Brett, I think 1-3 is light, 3+ is moderate, 6+ is heavy.  You’ve been alive for unreal snow times.

Young people weren't around for...

1985-1986, 1988-1989, 1990-1992, 1997-1998. Except for November-December 1989 snow was horrible in sne from February 1988-February 1993 with a few exceptions like December 1992 for interior areas.

57 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Yea noticed the same tip. I have given up on the trailing wave predominating given current guidance (inside day 4) has latched onto wave one, and even the EPS now appears to favor wave one.

No doubt this still remains an important piece of uncertainty in the grand scheme of things...

OH yeah ...barring something rather unusual in the department of data assimilations/sampling nuance ... that 2ndary system idea set sail.  

While on the subject, ...to sure what other folks' opinion on that is, but, I feel the Euro hiccuped a bit on this one (2nd that is..).  I'm not really sure how far to take that impugning ...but, when this thing was day 4 for St Louis ... ~ lat/lon, that should have been inside the proverbial "wheelhouse" for the nation's heartland,... yet, the morphologies in the run in the cycles immediately thereafter ultimately dimmed the potential back here in the east. Those changes reflected that it had less awareness what would ultimately get dumped into that region via transit from Canada. 

Since I'm talking about transitive arguments here...it may not be fair to blame the Euro for a D5.5 on the EC ...which was "outside" it's wheelhouse?  Even though the better resolved/more accurate St Louis scenario would have had to translate eastward.  Hm, interesting debate.   It's like it could have scored exceptionally well for day 5.5 if it just did more typically better at D4 west of here - sort of like that.

Just now, weathafella said:

12/13/07 was a crippling 6-10.

I used to think of 6-10 as a huge storm back in the day during our snow drought years. But now I just think of it as moderate to heavy. 

Either way, it's a warning criteria snowfall for our area.  

1 minute ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I mentioned this earlier... I’m not convinced this isn’t just slop down this way. Temps look somewhat marginal

I wouldn't worry yet. Onshore flow is light. Could easily be some man snow. It gets to 0C at 925 near BOS, but could be he euro a little ampy too.

Archived