• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    NW_of_GYX
    Newest Member
    NW_of_GYX

Potential 1/17-1/18 threat

17 minutes ago, wxdawg10 said:

Look at the radar and the movement of precip, look at previous posts in this thread, read what the NWS Raleigh says, and various twitter accounts of local mets.  all the info is out there for you

That’s the problem.  I have been reading everything and everything says that we should be getting moderate to heavy snow but we aren’t.  I would say it’s light to moderate at best.  It’s just bizarre.

• Haha 1

Seems like it's staying a bit warmer just miles to the east, but in Cary the heavier bands are definitely all heavy snow. Just looking out the window at the deck looks like a couple of inches already and the roads are mostly covered now. I'm surprised it seems to cut off so quickly for the Raleigh people.

• Like 1

Just now, soonercane said:

Seems like it's staying a bit warmer just miles to the east, but in Cary the heavier bands are definitely all heavy snow. Just looking out the window at the deck looks like a couple of inches already and the roads are mostly covered now. I'm surprised it seems to cut off so quickly for the Raleigh people.

It definitely has cut off for us.  Dang snow shield is working pretty well!

At least north raleigh does not have a temp issue. Stuck at 35 here for over hour. If snow lightens up...it will melt. Tired of waiting for the temps to drop. What is the deal!

Just now, PackGrad05 said:

It is like a blizzard near Fuquay right now.  

The Low is literally right over southern wake.  Heavier rates are moving in and all of wake is gonna get pummeled for a few hours

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wxdawg10 said:

The Low is literally right over southern wake.  Heavier rates are moving in and all of wake is gonna get pummeled for a few hours

Will it lift out NE, back, or east?

1 minute ago, CaryWx said:

Will it lift out NE, back, or east?

crawling east and intensifying through about 1-4 pm that's when we should see the best rates 

3 minutes ago, wxdawg10 said:

crawling east and intensifying through about 1-4 pm that's when we should see the best rates 

Thanks.  So it looks like the best rates are already SE of Cary in Wake.  Will the heavier rates build back NW at all?

18 minutes ago, JoshWeather said:

laymens terms?

Looks like UL is going negative. Packing the gradient up against the  mountains. Hence back building and more moisture . also notice the fire hose in Central NC 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CaryWx said:

Thanks.  So it looks like the best rates are already SE of Cary in Wake.  Will the heavier rates build back NW at all?

it's possible.  hard to predict exactly where it'll set up though. all indications point to the system's energy creating alot of lift up and down central NC so pockets of heavier rates could develop anywhere  at the height of the storm

A solid 4.5" currently with a steady moderate snow.  Temp is 29º.  Based on everyone saying it would be a dry fluffy snow I am a bit surprised to see it stuck to every branch on every tree. Power outages could become a concern.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, frazdaddy said:

Going on the generator in Moncure already.

Pay your bill.

Seriously though, if the winds pick up I can see some widespread possibilities of power troubles.

2 minutes ago, PackGrad05 said:

It is definitely not dry fluffy in south Wake.  Reallly wet and doesn’t stick to sidewalks or roads.  Only grass 

Where is that crazy arctic air than was in Tennessee? This could have been epic in our area. Oh well.

12 minutes ago, Pilotwx said:

Looks like UL is going negative. Packing the gradient up against the  mountains. Hence back building and more moisture . also notice the fire hose in Central NC 

im just trying to learn.  Does this mean that its basically gonna skip over me for the rest of the storm, or will it eventually swing through with higher rates?