SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Potential 1/17-1/18 threat

BullCityWx

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cumberland County NC (Fayetteville) Schools have already pulled the trigger and cancelled for tomorrow.

I do hope no one tries to be cute with a late start/early dismissal situation and runs the risk of buses being on the road while snow is coming down. We haven't had a daylight storm like this in a few years.

Edit: Durham County just cancelled for tomorrow as well. Good.

From the AKQ discussion at 4pm.

Confident in period of moderate snow inland, given well-modeled
narrow band of negative EPV dropping over the SW zones in the
Piedmont (I-85 corridor). There could be a very narrow corridor
of 4-6" of snow in this band. However, expect this would be very
localized and hard to pin- down, so there is no need for a
watch or warning at this time. Slightly less confident into SE
VA. To reiterate...we have issued a Winter Weather Advisory
over Hampton Roads for the late morning and afternoon. However,
we are still a bit concerned with sharpening axis of F-Gen/OPRH
depicted by the 12z (and now 18z) high-res NAM. Issue will be
that we will have a very narrow window within which to receive
moderate snows into Tidewater area, before best axis of moisture
slides offshore. Potential is there for warning criteria snows
(and criteria is 3" for SE VA). However, after collaboration
with neighboring offices and WPC, will hold off with warning for
now. Narrow window of potential snowfall is the primary issue.
Should later model runs continue to depict this potential, an
upgrade to a Winter Storm Warning for all or part of the Hampton
Roads area may be needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, fountainguy97 said:

Watch this area over the next few hours. By 7PM this area should be exploding with moisture and will be our moisture "train." we want to see great QPF in this area going into the evening.  radar.thumb.jpg.c81833ff6f37f9835a0dff62683c6eae.jpg

It wouldn't hurt to have it fill in there, but really, a new band should get going in N GA and east and NE of there as the trough bottoms out 

Just now, griteater said:

It wouldn't hurt to have it fill in there, but really, a new band should get going in N GA and east and NE of there as the trough bottoms out 

Yeah that's the real show tomorrow as we go neutral.  What we want to see downstream is good GOM moisture. Radar looks great too our south currently

I have lurked for about 6 months and this is my first post so if this is a dumb question that’s why. Why is the gradient so sharp in that 50-75 miles to my NNW is looking at 3-5” and Pitt County is looking like <1”? Thanks in advance, truly enjoy watching and learning from you guys. 

1 minute ago, PirateWx said:

I have lurked for about 6 months and this is my first post so if this is a dumb question that’s why. Why is the gradient so sharp in that 50-75 miles to my NNW is looking at 3-5” and Pitt County is looking like <1”? Thanks in advance, truly enjoy watching and learning from you guys. 

Welcome to the board.  The models have the energy weakening and the band dying as it moves east.  Maximum dynamics occur farther west and then wane, as the system exits east.  Many times, these bands hold together longer than modeled.  So there is hope.

1 minute ago, fountainguy97 said:

Kuchera has Wake county in the 8-10:1 range.  

Because of surface temps at 31. But i expect temps to crash faster than that

Ok, thanks.  I expect that also.  If Raleigh averages 8:1, I will be very surprised.  I guess it could happen, but I don't think so.

19 minutes ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

Perfect visual. Unfortunately, I think that is what is really going to be a limiting factor for the NEGA/Upstate area, cold always, ALWAYS takes longer than forecast to make it over the mtns, and with our limited precip problems, being a fast mover, and how worm we got today, it is going to be a struggle. Looks like a lot of our early precip will be rain and that will further hinder our situation. I really hope I'm wrong, and Lookout and Burrel and others are much better at this than me, but I just feel like I have seen this too many times and I think it will be a struggle anywhere west of Spartanburg in the upstate, and outside of elevation. 

normally that is the case but i don't think it will be so much of a problem this time as there is a very strong push in the low levels and the airmass is unusually cold. Seeing a 10 degree temp drop over the span of just 20 or 30 minutes behind the front in west/northwest ga. 

11 minutes ago, NorthernUpstateSC said:

Lookout I noticed as well the short term models seem to be picking up on this as well better then the operational models. In december's storm our area in northern pickens county was forecasted to get very little and we ended up with just over 4 inches. The mountains just above us in Cashiers & Toxaway got crushed with 12-18 inches. The short term models picked up on the quicker changeover and increase in precip amount where the operationals played catch up. Are they just calculated better to handle local terrain and lee side down sloping impacts?

Yeah, they have finer resolution than the global models and if  there are some meso effects from the mountains/topography they likely will pick up on it better than the coarser global models.  Plus they are having input continuously put into them. I much rather have the HRRR on my side than not. 

11 minutes ago, calculus1 said:

Oh, but that leeside minimum is still quite visible.  I know it puts 3.1 over KHKY, but it's oh, so close to lesser amounts.  That leeside minimum is always in the back of my mind.

I live just west of you in Burke County(Valdese). One thing we have on our side is the latest HRRR and RAP both have our areas getting 3-5 inches. We can hope right?

hrrr.PNG

1 minute ago, FallsLake said:

The Kuchera output has our area in the 8:1 range. RAH thinks differently (well over 10:1). The same issue occurred today in Tenn and Kentucky; whereas they had much higher ratios. 

If we stipulate that .4 will fall over Wake and we use an average of 12:1, that gives 4.8".  Not bad.

Archived