SnowHabit
Potential 1/17-1/18 threat

BullCityWx

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, lilj4425 said:

Hopefully that initial batch of rain doesn’t hurt us. :lightning:

I feel like we already know the answer to that question. Latest HRRR did not look so good with 2m temps. 850's are fine but what does it matter if you're at 42 degrees the last 300 feet..

On 1/15/2018 at 11:20 AM, NCSNOW said:

I only make one call map for an event and just for my neck of the woods: Not one to waffle and adjust every 6hrs leading into an event. If it Bust Ill loose zero paid subscriptions lol. Anyway seen enough and for Forsyth,Davidson,Guilford,Randolph going with 2-5. Think if there is a chance for anyone to lollipop and kiss the 6 inch mark its somewhere in the 85 corridor. So we'll see how she turns out. 

Almost kick off time and Im sticking to my guns from 24 hrs ago  (1st and only call map). Am I Underdone, Time will tell!

4 minutes ago, ncskywarn said:

Interesting that all of those are totally based on the American models and today's 12Z GFS is not included in there.

The American models are all that Meteogram uses. 12z GFS came in at 3.4" snow for RDU.

http://www.meteor.iastate.edu/~ckarsten/bufkit/image_loader.phtml?site=krdu&nam=on&nam_mos=on&namm=on&gfs_mos=on&gfs=on&gfsm_mos=on&gfsm=on&nws=on&rap=on&obs=on&nam4km=on&con=on&ratio=10&max_t=on&cobb=on&compaction=on&mean_mt=on&max_mt=on&mean=on

Stepping away from QPF for a moment...

These charts show Q-Vector Divergence in blue shading (sinking motion), while the Q-Vector Convergence is in red shading (rising motion).  Flipping through the charts, you can see how the Q-Vector convergence congeals in E GA thru the Carolinas as the trough bottoms out and swings through.  This gives credence to a nice precip band moving through these areas.  In comparison, if you backtrack and look at the convergence thru the southern plains, it's not as stout there even though they've had some good precip in areas.  The other thing I notice is that the convergence swings through the heart of the Carolinas as opposed to moving NE into VA.  This may give some credence to how the hi-res models are focusing more of the precip through the Carolinas as opposed to the north in VA.

wQB6Oq3.png

Zc3MJHw.png

22VDfvi.png

xazH9IO.png

3 minutes ago, griteater said:

Stepping away from QPF for a moment...

These charts show Q-Vector Divergence in blue shading (sinking motion), while the Q-Vector Convergence is in red shading (rising motion).  Flipping through the charts, you can see how the Q-Vector convergence congeals in E GA thru the Carolinas as the trough bottoms out and swings through.  This gives credence to a nice precip band moving through these areas.  In comparison, if you backtrack and look at the convergence thru the southern plains, it's not as stout there even though they've had some good precip in areas.  The other thing I notice is that the convergence swings through the heart of the Carolinas as opposed to moving NE into VA.  This may give some credence to how the hi-res models are focusing more of the precip through the Carolinas as opposed to the north in VA.

wQB6Oq3.png

Zc3MJHw.png

22VDfvi.png

xazH9IO.png

Great post grit,makes sense.

58 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

The RAP looks to ease worries for leeside downslopers.. This is only through 21 hours and much more will fall in Piedmont areas 

snku_acc.conus.png

Not for GA... ☹️ I’m convinced that this area of Northeast Georgia outside of the mountains is one of the hardest places in the country to get snow... Year after year now of watching it snow in every direction at some point, while being lucky to see flurries.

17 minutes ago, Solak said:

Thanks for sharing that link Solak. I've never seen that one before. I have it bookmarked now. :)

1 minute ago, BooneWX said:

Update for you guys down east. High clouds are just now rolling into the mountains, so if you’re counting on clouds to cap the temps, don’t. Just a heads up. Still think you guys are going to do great though! Best of luck and I hope all of you get a ton. 

I'm actually hoping they hold off until after sunset. Let the temp drop some under clear skies..

Archived