Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Potential 1/17-1/18 threat

BullCityWx

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

I think he's one of the best. But, I don't watch him or other on air mets because they're too conservative and simplistic. Don't get me wrong, I understand that they have to cater to the general public. So really my problem is I know more than the general public and because of this I don't watch TV/cable mets. This site and the NWS is it.     

So does Forbes magazine and the AMS. Google him. Very well respected nationally.

4 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

I think he's one of the best. But, I don't watch him or other on air mets because they're too conservative and simplistic. Don't get me wrong, I understand that they have to cater to the general public. So really my problem is I know more than the general public and because of this I don't watch TV/cable mets. This site and the NWS is it.     

Producers lock them down at times. Public panic is a real thing.

4 minutes ago, Poimen said:

Something to watch today is how the HRRR handles the advancing precipitation and it's crossing of, or redevelopment east of, the mountains. The early trend has been to collapse the precipitation but redevelop it quickly just east of the higher ridges. 

Just looked at our local NBC affiliates in house radar ( RPM)?, showed a very solid line of atleast moderate snow, and expands as its over the upstate! It has snow for about 12 hours. Starting at midnight and ending around noon! If that's even close to being right, easy 1-3" snow!

2 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Just looked at our local NBC affiliates in house radar ( RPM)?, showed a very solid line of atleast moderate snow, and expands as its over the upstate! It has snow for about 12 hours. Starting at midnight and ending around noon! If that's even close to being right, easy 1-3" snow!

Look at the radar down in Florida Mack. Robert at WxSouth said that if the Florida Panhandle gets snow, then there is a shot at ALL 50 states having snow on the ground at the same time. I wonder when the last time that happened?

12 minutes ago, Rankin5150 said:

Look at the radar down in Florida Mack. Robert at WxSouth said that if the Florida Panhandle gets snow, then there is a shot at ALL 50 states having snow on the ground at the same time. I wonder when the last time that happened?

Didn't that happen a couple of weeks ago with the coastal crusher?  [Or did the snow that fell in FL not accumulate]  Still an infrequent achievement. 

Other broadcast mets have actually been kind of condescending in the past few storms to us weather hobbyist.

This is our super bowl! There is no greater natural high than checking model to model forecasts. It is like a sports game. Of course we root for some over others. We all want to win! I think it is sad when they give us one of the "don't model hop" lectures on the vlogs. I live for model hopping. 

The ironic thing about it is, some of them hug the EURO or GFS harder than I hug the NAM-3

44 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

I just think they are so scared of busting with predicting too much and getting grief from the public. They start low and that way they at least warn the public of the threat so they are aware of the possibility. If it ends up being more than they forecasted, that's okay because they still warned the public about it. But if they say 4 inches now and it doesn't do anything, then they worry the next time the public won't believe them when they say there is a threat of snow. 

3 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Thanks.  It's been said that that portends a jump with the upcoming NAM output.  Didn't work like that last time, but we'll see.

Something doesn't seem right with the last 2 NAM outputs. It's qpf looks off to me. I know it had some issues on the 0z run, but I don't know about the 06z.

1 minute ago, Brick Tamland said:

I just think they are so scared of busting with predicting too much and getting grief from the public. They start low and that way they at least warn the public of the threat so they are aware of the possibility. If it ends up being more than they forecasted, that's okay because they still warned the public about it. But if they say 4 inches now and it doesn't do anything, then they worry the next time the public won't believe them when they say there is a threat of snow. 

That sounds right. And really it's what they have to do. I probably would as well put in their place.

6 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

good post Brick

You’re correct in that assessment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived