Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Potential 1/17-1/18 threat

BullCityWx

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

I think some of those yellows and reds are melting aloft.  It’s snowing moderately here. Certainly no 1”/hr, even though it may appear that way on the radar.  Hopefully that changes in a bit.

It seems like all the model soundings for our area showed temps well below freezing all the way up the air column, except right at the surface, for the duration of the event. Do you think they missed on the upper air temps, or do I have a layman's misunderstanding of the thermodynamics at play?

25 minutes ago, WxKnurd said:

FYI, I'm out of radar returns per GSP radar but still coming down flizzard like as it has most of the day.  Deform band is definitely forming per radar, will be interesting to see how much it builds and where it heads.

That happened with me here in Hickory too.  It continued to snow for at least 20 minutes or so after the radar returns vanished.  I think round two is just about to commence here.  Very fine flakes back in the air again.  If it picks up, I'm going for a walk again.

I took some video from the ground (and the air!) earlier.  I'll post it once it gets uploaded to Youtube.  (I need a fiber connection, lol!)

5 minutes ago, wxdawg10 said:

Looking like this storm should really peak around 4 or 5 pm . Temps should be well below freezing and accumulations are really gonna pile up similar to areas to our west.

Looking at the last 30 minutes of radar, I think the main axis of precip will be to our east/northeast by that point.

22 minutes ago, David Johnson said:

Was this expected and what’s causing it? Sorry for the noob question

3ab45946b2f2b9c091120ed4f6f0420b.jpg

Yeah it was modeled by both the HRRR and the NAM models. It is being caused by upper level low closing off and the trough is beginning to have more of a neutral tilt. A met could probably give you a better explanation of how it happens.

Archived