Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Potential 1/17-1/18 threat

BullCityWx

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

Ratios are only headed up from where they are now. I think we're going to make the most of the back end of this event.

Agreed.  Rain meter also shows I only lost about .05 of liquid before snow started.  If we can get up to that 15-20 ratio we will really cash out. 

I’ve missed out a lot down here the past few years while you guys 25-30 miles away have gotten decent amounts so I’m just happy to have the ground covered at this point.  Everything else will just make it better. 

5 minutes ago, PackGrad05 said:

The leading edge is still rain.  I can confirm down here in southern Wake right now.   Light rain. 

There was no rain-snow transition here in SW Cary. Just snow. It’s been snowing pretty steady for about 45 minutes but no accumulation yet. Ground still too warm. 

4 minutes ago, Solak said:

NWS RaleighVerified account @NWSRaleigh 15m15 minutes ago

A look at our mid morning storm-total snowfall accumulation update. Have raised values, especially west of the Triangle where 2"+ reports are already streaming in. Expect 5 - 7" in these areas with a localized 8" amount possible. Roads already becoming hazardous. #NCwx

DTwEEhXX4AIeHNi.jpg

Yes, this is interesting because overnight they lowered the totals for my area (east of the sweet spot apparently) to 1-3 inches. Snow started here about 30min ago and there was no rain at the onset, went to moderate snow quickly. And now they have raised totals back up again.

HRRR is verifying too warm. The 14z run had temps already in the 33-35 range across most of the Triangle for 11 AM, with above freezing stretching up northward into S Va. But instead it's right around freezing for most of the area and below freezing W and NW of Durham. I guess it can't deal with the snow rates properly.

Archived