Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Potential 1/17-1/18 threat

BullCityWx

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, SnowNiner said:

Hrrr is either really bad with temps, or clt is really not getting alot of snow. It has clt temp above freezing and rising throughout the day. 

Noticed this as well for Chapel Hill. The kuchera map is definitely less than the 10:1 ratio due to the warmer temps. Hoping it's a little off...

Well my initial thought this morning is that the warmer sfc temp modeling is winning out.  The cold push from west GA into E GA is usually similar to what happens in NC east of the mtns, with the upper savannah river valley and western upstate the last to get colder....but the cold push through GA has been faster than what's happened in NC east of the mtns.

10 minutes ago, Norwegian Cyclone said:

Precip area with mixing is slowly making its way eastward through the Triangle...most everyone outside the circled part, in the red/pink echoes is seeing all snow...

CC 1:17:18 743am.png

you have a link to access this radar? i've been looking for it for sometime. thanks in advance

37 minutes ago, griteater said:

Well my initial thought this morning is that the warmer sfc temp modeling is winning out.  The cold push from west GA into E GA is usually similar to what happens in NC east of the mtns, with the upper savannah river valley and western upstate the last to get colder....but the cold push through GA has been faster than what's happened in NC east of the mtns.

Yeah, I'm still at 34 in cit. That's going to cut down accumulations until we can drop. Getting very worried about that.

10 minutes ago, wxdawg10 said:

you have a link to access this radar? i've been looking for it for sometime. thanks in advance

I'm using the RadarScope app, but you can get the correlation coefficient mode via College of DuPage Nexlab as well: http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/index.php?type=RAX-N0C-0-6

(you have to hover your mouse over the white tab on the left to access the various radar modes)

12 minutes ago, SnowNiner said:

Yeah, I'm still at 34 in cit. That's going to cut down accumulations until we can drop. Getting very worried about that.

I do t know where in the city you are, but try looking outside. It’s snowing pretty good. I wouldn’t worry about being at 34

2 minutes ago, calculus1 said:

The west to east progression of the back edge of the system has appeared to slow somewhat.  This will allow totals to continue to pile up.  It would also be nice if it were to tilt more N-S rather than NE-SW, but I don't see any evidence of this at this time.

HRRR shows the system "hitching" between 12-2PM and going more neutral. Hence why HRRR dumps .8+ over Wake

2 hours ago, VBsurf said:

Does anybody have any more information about any coastal enhancement later this evening?  Winter storm warning is up for the Outer Banks down to Hatteras.  Wondering any potential surprise impacts up in Virginia Beach.

I'm curious as well since I live on the OBX. Is this a Miller B setup?

Just now, alhooks13 said:

I'm curious as well since I live on the OBX. Is this a Miller B setup?

Basically as the trough goes neutral tilt the High res models have picked up on a weak surface low popping off the coast. this leads to extra qpf pumping into the coastal regions. I guess its a miller B setup but its a very weak surface low and it pops late.  But if high res is right some coastal regions could see a quick couple hours of good snowfall

Archived