Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Potential 1/17-1/18 threat

BullCityWx

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, thess said:

Could anyone provide a direct link to this particular product? The map portions are always blurry and pixelated once they're embedded in the forum.

It's from their weather hazard briefing: http://www.weather.gov/media/rah/briefing/NWSRaleighLatestBriefing.pdf

Edit: better versions of their snow maps here: http://www.weather.gov/rah/winter

StormTotalSnowWeb1.png

4 minutes ago, mrdaddyman said:

Yeah. I'm questioning the validity of the HRRR out that far. Also, those of us, myself included that are worried about boundary layer temps really don't need to look at the latest run because it's seriously warm for central NC.

Yeah those HRRR frames for 2m air temp out to the end of the run look off. Almost like its just some normal daytime heating scale. Weird. Could be the southerly fetch as the upper level vortex approaches I guess.

3 minutes ago, burrel2 said:

I hate to weenie out too bad, but the Hrrr is just crushing mby from 5am to 10am.  It's now got solid 3 to 4 inches total for all of Oconee, Pickens, and Greenville counties. 

Don't worry  about it...you've earned it ;) 

Have to pause to appreciate how wideapread this system is. Its been a while since just about everyone gets something. 

1 minute ago, Jet Stream Rider said:

Yeah those HRRR frames for 2m air temp out to the end of the run look off. Almost like its just some normal daytime heating scale. Weird. Could be the southerly fetch as the upper level vortex approaches I guess.

Except winds are from the north most of the event. I honestly can't fathom why it shows rising temps with 0.1"+ liquid per hour rates and a northerly wind from a cold high building in as a lobe of very cold arctic air. It boggles the mind.

6 minutes ago, WidreMann said:

Except winds are from the north most of the event. I honestly can't fathom why it shows rising temps with 0.1"+ liquid per hour rates and a northerly wind from a cold high building in as a lobe of very cold arctic air. It boggles the mind.

Between hr 11 and 12 it jumps up in eastern NC and even goes into the 40s after another few hours for some- they may be east of the cold air still, but it still seems too much.

15 minutes ago, WidreMann said:

It's a fight between the HRRR/RAP and everything else. Honestly, I'm not sure where to go with this. 00z GFS/NAM/NAM4K held serve and have shown higher precip, colder temps and haven't adjusted the timing much. Usually in these kinds of situations, I expect precip to arrive earlier than expected. But this isn't a normal overrunning event, so I'm not sure.

Never trust HRRR or RAP outside 8 hours. They’re useful under 10 hours but past that they’re prone to being way off with qpf and especially thermals on the HRRR. 3km NAM and RGEM is preferred at this range. 

Just now, Jet Stream Rider said:

Between hr 11 and 12 it jumps up in eastern NC and even goes into the 40s for some- they may be east of the cold air still, but it still seems too much.

Far enough east they may be out of the clouds, and certainly not precipitating. But I don't see why central NC under clouds and frozen precip should be warming.

1 minute ago, snowlover91 said:

Never trust HRRR or RAP outside 8 hours. They’re useful under 10 hours but past that they’re prone to being way off with qpf and especially thermals on the HRRR. 3km NAM and RGEM is preferred at this range. 

Unfortunately, RGEM is now also showing the warming, albeit not as much.

Just now, WidreMann said:

Far enough east they may be out of the clouds, and certainly not precipitating. But I don't see why central NC under clouds and frozen precip should be warming.

It won’t be. Hrrr is terrible with thermals and especially bad when past 8-10 hours. Trust 3km NAM and RGEM for thermals they are money. 

7 minutes ago, WidreMann said:

I just had a flashback to Jan 2017.  Which model had the warm-nose-of-death that we all wanted to discount?  I hope it wasn't the HRRR. 

2 minutes ago, WidreMann said:

They won't be warming... we've seen this with just about every winter storm on the Hrr. It definitely has a surface warm bias in the 12 to 18hr time range.

Honestly, this will give you the best indicator of the battle lines 9 times out of 10:

http://collaboration.cmc.ec.gc.ca/cmc/cmdn/pcpn_type/pcpn_type_gem_reg.html

10 minutes ago, Norwegian Cyclone said:

Good precip development continues in the Deep South

CODNEXLAB-regional-southeast-rad-ani24-201801170335-100-100-raw.gif

On the wcu tower webcam it's coming down nice. Met reports moderate snow Haywood County. Both have everything covered up solid now in snow.Should be in Asheville soon. That's telling if you look close at the radar and it doesn't look like much, so imagine when it really gets cranking over head in the morning.

Just now, WidreMann said:

Once that frozen glob of arctic gets over us it wont be. Sure there's the old latent heat of condensation, but its not going to make much difference with this air mass. I think the hrrrrrr is just out of its range. Like snowlover91 said, if its past 10 hrs, hrrrrrrr is suspect.

1 minute ago, cbmclean said:

I just had a flashback to Jan 2017.  Which model had the warm-nose-of-death that we all wanted to discount?  I hope it wasn't the HRRR. 

It was the 3km and 12km NAM. The NAM is money with warm noses. It shows none here so we are good. Normal panic before the storm starts, people need to relax here. 

Archived