Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Potential 1/17-1/18 threat

BullCityWx

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NAM is trying to give the upstate 4+ and seeing how the models have ticked up every run today I'm sure it will tick up until game time. Yowzas. Curious to see what CJ and JC have to say in an hour. I know they are seeing the same things we're seeing. Boom potential. WSW may be coming for the upstate 

2 minutes ago, DopplerWx said:

4-5" for clt on the nam assuming 10:1. a warning will likely be issued for meck here shortly i would think.  man what great trends inside 24hrs for once!

The Foothills are so close to Warning criteria 3.53 mean for Hickory/Morganton on the SREF. Think WSW will be issued up this way?

Just now, NCWeSU said:

I don't see a shift west on the NAM in regards to snowfall totals. Just more enhanced snowfall near the triad. 

Correct.  Higher totals shifted west and east.  Slightly more robust system leads to an enhancement in QPF.  Relative jackpot zone still just west of the Triangle.  Nice run.

Just now, Cold Rain said:

3k Nam def better for Wake Co., you RDU circus animals!

Looks like it upped totals out west as it takes the trough more neutral, this shouldnt really hurt RDU.....just help the I77 folks....it also would help pop that SLP closer to the NC coast and maybe keep that horrible horrible dead zone right over me from happening....not sure why the totals flatten out just east of RDU as the energy heads east but it does.....yesterday we had 2-5" over us today 1-2" at best on all models......

I guess this is to be expected though I cant think of to many times if ever we have had two 4-6"+ type events in the same winter.....so it makes sense that this one wont produce for us where we had the snow 2 weeks ago.....

GSP just updated my forecast, must be planning on upgrading to Winter Storm Warnings soon.

Tonight
Snow, mainly after 2am. Low around 28. Calm wind becoming north northwest around 5 mph after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.
Wednesday
Snow, mainly before 11am. High near 31. North wind 6 to 11 mph, with gusts as high as 18 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

EDIT: Update
Iredell-Davie-Catawba-Rowan-Lincoln-Gaston-Mecklenburg-Cabarrus-
York-Chester-
Including the cities of Statesville, Mooresville, Farmington,
Fork Church, Mocksville, Advance, Hickory, Newton, St. Stephens,
Salisbury, Lincolnton, Crouse, Gastonia, Charlotte, Concord,
Kannapolis, Catawba, Rock Hill, Chester, Cornwell,
and Great Falls
948 PM EST Tue Jan 16 2018

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 2 PM EST WEDNESDAY...

3 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

Looks like it upped totals out west as it takes the trough more neutral, this shouldnt really hurt RDU.....just help the I77 folks....it also would help pop that SLP closer to the NC coast and maybe keep that horrible horrible dead zone right over me from happening....not sure why the totals flatten out just east of RDU as the energy heads east but it does.....yesterday we had 2-5" over us today 1-2" at best on all models......

I guess this is to be expected though I cant think of to many times if ever we have had two 4-6"+ type events in the same winter.....so it makes sense that this one wont produce for us where we had the snow 2 weeks ago.....

Yeah man, today, the models have just killed the line as it moves east.  Unless there is a transfer happening, I can’t see why the line would fizzle so quickly.  I would expect it to hold together longer.

3 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

I'm no expert but I assume the reason for a sharp QPF drop off east of RDU is that the energy transfers offshore to that slp we see popping out and hammering OBX on the latest hi res NAM. 

12 minutes ago, DopplerWx said:

4-5" for clt on the nam assuming 10:1. a warning will likely be issued for meck here shortly i would think.  man what great trends inside 24hrs for once!

That's amazing! Trying to hold my excitement a bit...as ive seen this before. Numbers go up and up toward the event, then something at the last second poos it right out. Warm nose, sleet, surface temps, growth in the dendrites zone, convection in the gulf, something messes it up. Just really hard to believe.

4 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

NAM a good 5 to 7 for all of Wake Co. Not sure why some are worried. 

because we have been here before. looks good the day before, then the last minute NW shift happens, the warm nose "unexpectedly" makes a showing, as does the Wake county snow hole. then you see several posts on amwx "it will be interesting to see a write up on what exactly went wrong here" "i cant believe the models were so wrong" etc etc. 5-7 is really pushing it. we will be lucky to see 4" IMO

I like these trends because of why the precip is trending up. 

Many times we have the low off the coast and we are hoping for a 50-100 mile Shift here or there and hoping the models are predicting the right qpf and that rarely pays off for the majority of people. 

With this storm as it goes more neutral/negatively tilted we get higher totals.  The models are much better at predicting the features, like the trough orientation etc....and not so good at exact qpf.  So regardless.  Whatever was being shown a day or two ago is going to increase as the storm gets closer to being negative tilt. 

Determining if that means we get 2” or 8” is much harder but I feel comfortable the way things are headed.  Much more comfortable than most storms in this region. 

8 minutes ago, JoshM said:

GSP just updated my forecast, must be planning on upgrading to Winter Storm Warnings soon.

Tonight
Snow, mainly after 2am. Low around 28. Calm wind becoming north northwest around 5 mph after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.
Wednesday
Snow, mainly before 11am. High near 31. North wind 6 to 11 mph, with gusts as high as 18 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

EDIT: Update

Iredell-Davie-Catawba-Rowan-Lincoln-Gaston-Mecklenburg-Cabarrus-
York-Chester-
Including the cities of Statesville, Mooresville, Farmington,
Fork Church, Mocksville, Advance, Hickory, Newton, St. Stephens,
Salisbury, Lincolnton, Crouse, Gastonia, Charlotte, Concord,
Kannapolis, Catawba, Rock Hill, Chester, Cornwell,
and Great Falls
948 PM EST Tue Jan 16 2018

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 2 PM EST WEDNESDAY...

And it looks like they will ride the WWA here as my updated wording continues to read the same.    WWS into the upstate also. 

Based on current guidance, this is a good step. Still sitting in the 1-3" range with hope to cash in on the east side of my county.  

Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 9.51.46 PM.png

Archived