Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Potential 1/17-1/18 threat

BullCityWx

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, snowbird1230 said:

GSP basically saying rain from 1pm-7pm,then snow from 7pm-8pm..then it's over. Never thought rain would be a problem in the mountains

I thought the precip was suppose to come in after dark tomorrow night, guess the weather system has sped up a little.  they had first said freezing rain and light snow, since its coming in earlier in the day guess it will be rain but the roads will ice over from the rain Tuesday night with temps around 15, bet a wwa will go up for tomorrow night early Wednesday morning for black ice.

3 minutes ago, Tacoma said:

I thought the precip was suppose to come in after dark tomorrow night, guess the weather system has sped up a little.  they had first said freezing rain and light snow, since its coming in earlier in the day guess it will be rain but the roads will ice over from the rain Tuesday night with temps around 15, bet a wwa will go up for tomorrow night early Wednesday morning for black ice.

wind should help dry the rain and can even dry ice/snow in the type of dry snow. they are considering wind chill advisory actually instead of black ice. 

1 minute ago, lilj4425 said:

We will be lucky to even get that. 

agreed - this is a very complex system - guidance models vary - I do think there may be an area of 1-2+ inches of snow in mid-Greenville, southern Spartanburg counties - of course, depending on timing, QPF, temp, etc etc

I feel lame chasing a one inch storm but I'm desperate after BMX has rec'd 300% of annual average snowfall!

1 hour ago, WarmNose said:

Man that gulf tap really got pumping on the NAM once the frontal boundary got over the mountains. Big uptick in totals in the souther part of the upstate 

The destruction of the precip band as it crosses  north ga only to reform quickly as it moves past has been maddening to see on the models. To see virtually *everyone* except north ga see at least some light snow in every direction is just too much. The good news is the models in general have been trending wetter and the eastern/southeastern upstate will be fine but it sure looks like there could be an area of super screwjobbing over north central ga/far western upstate...between the edge of downslope flow and the refiring of precip. The latest runs have me in the snow (except gfs) but it wouldn't take much for me not to be. Considering history here at ga's leeside screwzone, i wouldn't bet against it. 

Archived