SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Potential 1/17-1/18 threat

BullCityWx

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 18z NAM did what I was expecting.  The heavier precip field that hits the triad is shrinking as it moves east as the energy transfers to the Atlantic.  Therefore, Wake County and east see less qpf.  I've seen this before with clipper type systems.  Could I be wrong? Of course but that is why I'm seeing 1 to 2 inches here.

7 minutes ago, SnowJoMoJo said:

I'm still learning to read the models.  Can you tell me what you saw?  I thought that it didn't look as deep and had more positive tilt.  Do we want it more to the SW even if it means more positive tilt?  Thnx

Happy to answer. Definitely saw a better dig with the backside of the trough and it was meaningful. I do not think this thing is done trending in the qpf department. The NAM is attempting to show how the qpf shield will expand, however I do not believe it is expansive enough yet. The trough did go neutral there and that would lead to a better advection of moisture. 

1 minute ago, rduwx said:

The 18z NAM did what I was expecting.  The heavier precip field that hits the triad in shrinking as it moves east as the energy transfers to the Atlantic.  Therefore, Wake County and east see less qpf.  I've seen this before with clipper type systems.  Could I be wrong? Of course but that is why I'm seeing 1 to 2 inches here.

Two inches would quadruple what I had with the last system.  Getting an inch of snow is so hard anymore.  Sheesh.

11 minutes ago, Buddy1987 said:

Happy to answer. Definitely saw a better dig with the backside of the trough and it was meaningful. I do not think this thing is done trending in the qpf department. The NAM is attempting to show how the qpf shield will expand, however I do not believe it is expansive enough yet. The trough did go neutral there and that would lead to a better advection of moisture. 

Thanks

If I had to guess for northern mecklenburg and southern Iredell: 

5% T or less

50% 1-2”

30% 3-5”

15% 6”

I think we we lose less QPF to rain or mix than people assume and we go through half the event cranking out some 15:1 ratios or even higher. If we end up with less, I think it’s because the models were too generous with QPF.

You thinking more mixing in South meck or about the same as north?

3 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

5% T or less

50% 1-2”

30% 3-5”

15% 6”

I think we we lose less QPF to rain or mix than people assume and we go through half the event cranking out some 15:1 ratios or even higher.

4 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

5% T or less

50% 1-2”

30% 3-5”

15% 6”

I think we we lose less QPF to rain or mix than people assume and we go through half the event cranking out some 15:1 ratios or even higher. If we end up with less, I think it’s because the models were too generous with QPF.

Good call. NWS-GSP updated forecast has less than 1" on Tuesday evening. Which sounds right and would be awesome. 

2 minutes ago, snowbird1230 said:

GSP not excited at all..only posted 3 mountain counties with a WWA, and for  only above 3500' at that.

I would have thought all of WNC would be a wwa.  if anythng at all falls it will stick and not melt it wouldn't take much for the roads to be solid ice and snow.

3 minutes ago, Tacoma said:

I would have thought all of WNC would be a wwa.  if anythng at all falls it will stick and not melt it wouldn't take much for the roads to be solid ice and snow.

GSP basically saying rain from 1pm-7pm,then snow from 7pm-8pm..then it's over. Never thought rain would be a problem in the mountains

Archived