Newest Member
    joxey
Potential 1/17-1/18 threat

BullCityWx

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, SN_Lover said:

wrong. what temperature issues do they see? I think we all know this will not be a heavy snow event. But isolated accums of 6"+ are not out of the questions. 

Maybe they will increase tomorrow. This seems like their standard way of doing things now. Start with an inch and increase as the storm unfolds if needed so they never bust. Even though they were way too low with amounts to the west and south with the last storm. I think they're okay with that, but don't want to bust the other way. 

Just now, Brick Tamland said:

Maybe they will increase tomorrow. This seems like their standard way of doing things now. Start with an inch and increase as the storm unfolds if needed so they never bust. Even though they were way too low with amounts to the west and south with the last storm. I think they're okay with that, but don't want to bust the other way. 

I think your obs of 2-4" seems good. 

Brad Panovich posted a video today...  He thinks it isn’t anything to get excited about:  a “less than perfect” setup with little impacts beyond the morning rush hour on Wednesday considering how warm it is supposed to be tomorrow.

I noticed while I was taking one of my pups to the vet in Davidson that DOT has already treated I-485 in North Charlotte as well as I-77 North.  I also saw two snow plows ❄️

4 minutes ago, Juliapalooza said:

Brad Panovich posted a video today...  He thinks it isn’t anything to get excited about:  a “less than perfect” setup with little impacts beyond the morning rush hour on Wednesday considering how warm it is supposed to be tomorrow.

He may be right, but h better hope the rgem, cmc, icon, and aren't right...

I believe the 18z Nam already looks a smidge better @14 just looking at 5h. 

Edit:@17 better dig on the backside and more south into OK. A little sharper as well. Precip at 850 corresponding to this as well, with a shift a little more northwest and a little juicier as well. Got a good feeling about this run.

Just now, rduwx said:

I'm not real excited about this one either.  I'm in the 1 maybe 2 inches for Wake County.  I think WRAL's first call map looks about right at this point.

Look right based on what? 2 inches is the minimum amount shown for Wake on the models. The Euro and UK just had 4 inches from Raleigh to Roanoke Rapids their last runs. 

Just now, WakeCountyWX said:

Have you not looked at the models today?

Yes, I've looked at the models. Waiting on the NAM now (out to 24).  I'm going off past experiences with this type of setup and clippers.  I also think there could be some BL issues at the onset before changing to all snow.  That seems to always happen. Hopefully I'm wrong but that's what I'd go with right now. 

RAH this afternoon...
Confidence is increasing slightly as NWP model guidance is starting 
to come into better agreement in both timing and liquid equivalents. 
Current timing suggest precip onset and transition to all snow 
between 06 to 09z in the Triad, around 12z(daybreak) in the 
Triangle, and then 12 to 15z in the east/southeast, with a 6 to 9 
hour window of precip expected thereafter before 
significant/aggressive drying aloft overwhelms the area, ending 
precip. 

Deterministic model guidance is right in line with the the SREF 
ensemble mean of a 0.10 to 0.20" liquid qpf across the area, 20-30 
percent of which will likely not go to frozen accumulation owing to 
rain or rain/snow mix expected at onset. However, given strong 
column cooling, once precip changes over to all snow, snow ratios 
are apt to be high, averaging 12-15:1. This would result in the 
potential for a swath of light snowfall accumulations across the 
northern two-thirds of the forecast area, with amounts ranging from 
a half inch along a line extending from Albemarle to Southern Pine 
to Goldsboro, to as much 1.5 to 2.0" across the far northern-
Virginia bordering counties.

Potential other scenarios that could unfold are: If more progressive 
solutions similar to that of the GFS verify, which quickly dries out 
the <-10C ice nucleation layer, we could see more sleet or snow 
mixed with sleet, which would significantly reduce snow 
accumulations across the area. Barring no major forecast/model 
changes, a winter weather advisory will likely be needed for these 
areas for Tuesday night through Wednesday evening. 

4 minutes ago, rduwx said:

Yes, I've looked at the models. Waiting on the NAM now (out to 24).  I'm going off past experiences with this type of setup and clippers.  I also think there could be some BL issues at the onset before changing to all snow.  That seems to always happen. Hopefully I'm wrong but that's what I'd go with right now. 

Waiting on the NAM to to help verify as well.  Also would like to see 2 runs in a row for GFS (18z) before I begin to believe the updated totals 

11 minutes ago, Red1976Red said:

Brad had me at 1” last storm ended up with 6”. He always increases 12 hours before. 

he has the same information as we do and a heck of a lot more experience and education and 99% of the time people here wishcasting for storms to overperform look like fools when we get a flizzard. he is like fishel, wants to be correct not first.

3 minutes ago, rduwx said:

The best analogy I could say to this post is that every potential storm is different. What happened in prior setups doesn't necessarily correlate with what will happen here. 

Good dig with the trough on the backside at 31. This is what we obv want to see for increased moisture influx toward our regions. 

Edit: When toggling the images between one another, the noticeable southwest motion is more evident. It continues at 33 as well. I really think this one over performs. Just that gut feeling.

USA_VRTHGTGRD_500mb_031.gif

USA_VRTHGTGRD_500mb_036.gif

Just now, nam0806 said:

The best analogy I could say to this post is that every potential storm is different. What happened in prior setups doesn't necessarily correlate with what will happen here. 

And that's fine and would agree, every storm is different, but from looking at all the model runs so far, my call would be 1 to 2 inches for Wake County.  

2 minutes ago, rduwx said:

And that's fine and would agree, every storm is different, but from looking at all the model runs so far, my call would be 1 to 2 inches for Wake County.  

That's reasonable. I would think that 1-3 inches is the safest call for now. It could be more or less, but it seems like we may be coming to a consensus before too long.

Just now, snowlover91 said:

NAM is digging significantly more to the SW this run but seems to be backing off on qpf for the lee side of the apps, you can see the precip break up then reform east of them. Looks sort of like the Euro/GFS idea.

Yea I thought it was a way better run at 5h but it didn't correspond on the qpf side. hmm...

Archived