SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Potential 1/17-1/18 threat

BullCityWx

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That dry slot in the immediate lee of the mountains is still very pronounced in the global models (GFS, ECMWF).  I think both print out some snow in Hickory, but it's still so close that it's not comfortable at all.  The mesoscale models tend to have more snow in the immediate lee.  I'm hoping they are correct, while realizing those on the eastern side of the state are pulling for the globals.

7 minutes ago, wake4est said:

Allan’s 1st call

D5E050E6-8D3E-4524-9134-F1FA2CF8BD06.jpeg

I think higher totals could come further east like the Euro and UK are showing now. I know the GFS or NAM have the higher totals further west, but also further south than that, while the other one has it further east but north of Roanoke Rapids. Would love to see a large area from Charlotte to Roanoke Rapids with 3 to 6 inches, though. I think that's possible, too.

Euro approximate precip start/end times below.  It's showing a broad precip band that develops and stands east of the mountains.  Overall, the precip is light (enhanced in eastern half of NC), but the band doesn't race through which makes sense given the relative slow motion of the trough:

AVL: 5PM Tues / 8AM Wed

GSP: 10PM Tues / 10AM Wed

CLT: 12AM Wed / Noon Wed

GSO: 1AM Wed / 1PM Wed

RDU: 4AM Wed / 8PM Wed

PGV: Noon Wed / 10PM Wed

24 minutes ago, AirNelson39 said:

I remember an event in the early 2000’s that had a similar setup, none of the models picked up on the low that formed in NW S.C. that slowly slid due east and dumped 6-10” in the foothills when most of the models were showing 1-2” totals. Something to keep an eye on.

Remember that storm very well. It was on Martin Luther King birthday. Forecast was for a couple inches but no big deal.

Woke up the next morning to 8 inches of snow. Always enjoy snowstorms that over perform.

3 minutes ago, Queencitywx said:

I wonder if the Euro’s dry bias is showing

Euro was what led the way with a more amped system yesterday. Very surprised to see others amp up and it basically fizzle out until it gets east. Not sure what to think here other than I want the cmc to verify. 

Also, the emphasis out east agrees with the nam 3k so that to me gives more value to the euro.

13 minutes ago, griteater said:

Crazy how little QPF the Euro spits out given the duration of the precip....here's a Euro vs. CMC QPF comparison

1.png

2.png

If I am not mistaken, hasn't the Euro always had issues with closed off solutions, Lee trough, etc.? Maybe I have it mixed up with something else. Maybe take a blend? 

3 minutes ago, snowlover91 said:

I think many on here would like the RGEM ensembles here... Pretty juicy for Western NC.

PNMPR_panel_054.gif

Those do look very nice, and if I'm not mistaken, looking at the isobars in the upstate, it's picking up the mesolow, which would explain the nice precip in wnc. Makes sense considering the cmc has this feature as well. Hope it's right. I'd really like the nam to start showing this feature to think I'm getting anything over a dusting to am inch. 

Archived