Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the system taking shape down across the SE states. It looks real good from a reflectivity standpoint with an extending CF, and an emerging warm front to its NE where a Warm sector should take shape as it moves up the coast.

hrrr_ref_conus2_19.thumb.png.18246d13abd17d186364f81633b939cd.png

Sounding for KFZY for 06Z Saturday, and with it showing extremely heavy snow, with winds sustained at 25 mph with gusts to 35 which will create havoc on the roads with blowing and drifting sn. The temp also plummets to the lower teens to upper single digits making the dendrites perfect for accumulating snows.  The snow growth region is close to the whole saturated column which also bisects the highest humidity and Omega values. to me this all spells a 10-18hr of heavy heavy snows starting tonight around 00Z lasting through 18Z Saturday easy.

gfs_2018011206_024_43.25--76.5.png

Its really not often we get such a rewarding track for CNY, but this seems like one of those times that we just might cash in, big time.  Perhaps with it heading a bit further East now, maybe the winds will back just enough to get us in on some LE including areas to our West along the lake shore.

The upper level trough driving this system will become negatively
tilted this evening when all precipitation will be snow across the
forecast area. Vertical motion will be enhanced as the entrance
region of a upper level jet moves overhead. Widespread snow is
expected across the forecast area tonight into Saturday morning. A
elongated surface low will continue to deepen along the cold front
from DC to NYC by midnight tonight. Models are depicting a
deformation zone forming across western/central NY resulting in a
period of heavy accumulating snow. Dry northwest flow will cause a
sharp cut-off on the northwest side of this system. This will result
in a sharp cut-off for snow totals in the vicinity of far western NY
including the City of Buffalo and Niagara Falls. Storm total
snowfall amounts will range from 6-12 inches across far Western NY
to 8-16 inches across Rochester metro and western Finger Lakes to
the North Country

I'm in northern Otsego county and as Han Solo said "I got a bad feeling about this."

I need this thing to keep bumping east to get me out of the maximum icing zone.

Gas cans filled, generator ready but really don't want to be dealing with that during a major winter storm with plunging temps and strong winds.

Before we flip the switch back to winter, am I the only one amazed at how a 2 day warm up can erase what was built up by a historical 14+ day stretch of winter weather?  As a snowmobiler, yesterday and today has/will destroy most of what was built up over the past few weeks.  The deep frost may have a lasting impact but that’s it except for Tug Hill and higher elevations of the Adirondacks.  

I’m not necessarily whining, but from kind of an outside semi-objective perspective it is truly amazing to me how quickly almost any snowpack in upstate NY can be erased.  

9 minutes ago, winter_rules said:

Before we flip the switch back to winter, am I the only one amazed at how a 2 day warm up can erase what was built up by a historical 14+ day stretch of winter weather?  As a snowmobiler, yesterday and today has/will destroy most of what was built up over the past few weeks.  The deep frost may have a lasting impact but that’s it except for Tug Hill and higher elevations of the Adirondacks.  

I’m not necessarily whining, but from kind of an outside semi-objective perspective it is truly amazing to me how quickly almost any snowpack in upstate NY can be erased.  

It's very impressive. Anytime you get a nice southerly breeze with this warmth and high dewpoints, snow pack vanishes. Redfield dropped over a foot in the past 24 hours, and they will drop another foot or two today I would imagine with all the rain and continued warmth/winds.

46 minutes ago, winter_rules said:

This always amazes me too. Good reminder that at our latitude we truly live between 2 different worlds. We can have the arctic descend on us from the north while just as easily have tropical breezes sweep over us from the Gulf. Can and does flip on a dime. 

5 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Looks like a non event as usual for WNY in synoptic events, enjoy Eastern folks. Buffalo to Toronto has been a snow hole for the last 3 years. Both places averaging 60% of normal. 

We’re just in a bad spot for synoptic, with the way lows usually go west of the Apps which leave us on the warm side and we get rain or they go east which usually brings the heaviest precip to our east and we get fringed. It sure does suck and I’m really interested to see what our new 30 year snowfall average will be in 2020 after we’ve gotten pretty screwed the last decade besides a couple years we were a little above average. KBUF may land up averaging less than 90” a season once the new averages come out after this decade is over. Meanwhile I bet KBOS and KORH see a 10” increase in their average annual snowfall, what a decade it’s been for them...

2 hours ago, winter_rules said:

High dews, high winds, 40 hours above 50 degs, 1-2" of rain will do it quickly. 

2018&cp=0

43 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

So yea the nam Just sucks lol 

kbgm from 2 feet(6z) to 7”(12z) 

looks better for you guys out west though but you obviously can’t trust the model lol

Not too far west though. KBUF will still be lucky to see 4-5”. You go just east though to Wyoming county and that could easily be doubled or tripled. You go to Youngstown and you may still see grass lmao.

2 minutes ago, WesterlyWx said:

We’re just in a bad spot for synoptic, with the way lows usually go west of the Apps which leave us on the warm side and we get rain or they go east which usually brings the heaviest precip to our east and we get fringed. It sure does suck and I’m really interested to see what our new 30 year snowfall average will be in 2020 after we’ve gotten pretty screwed the last decade besides a couple years we were a little above average. KBUF may land up averaging less than 90” a season once the new averages come out after this decade is over. Meanwhile I bet KBOS and KORH see a 10” increase in their average annual snowfall, what a decade it’s been for them...

I agree but Buffalo has not had one lake event above 20" in 5-6 years? I've had 10+ here. Just brutal luck for a SW flow. Yeah the entire New England forum is way above average for the last 10 years. 

Just now, BuffaloWeather said:

I agree but Buffalo has not had one lake event above 20" in 5-6 years? I've had 10+ here. 

Yes they also have gotten screwed in the lake effect department as well and it may be more than 5-6 years, it may be since the October storm in 2006. They got fringed and came in way lower than areas just a mile or two south during  Dec. 2010, and Nov. 2014. Just a super frusterating time to live from downtown to the airport north. Hopefully this will change soon but obviously with the lake iced over at least 50% and more pretty brutal cold coming in the next week the chances for this year are just about all but gone. This will likley end as another year of below to we’ll below average snowfall at KBUF unless we get some real synoptic storms going which seems like it’s impossible to get. I’ll go out on a limb and say KBUF sees less than 70” on the season while KROC and KSYR finish over 100”...

Archived