• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2017-18 area river and sea ice photos

Juliancolton

A long stretch of below-freezing temperatures, beginning December 26th and ending January 9th at KPOU, produced some of the thickest and most extensive Hudson River ice in several years. Ice on the river has always been a favorite subject of mine to photograph, so over the past 10 days I've tried to visit as many places between the Bear Mountain and Rip Van Winkle bridges as possible. Here are some of the photos I've captured, generally one per excursion, through January 9th. Despite the rapid warmup over the last two days, northern areas are still locked in, so more shots surely to come (and I'd love if others contributed photos from areas further south).

Red Hook, Dutchess County, January 1

uQTl0lm.jpg

Barrytown, Dutchess County, January 1

vnDtUOH.jpg

Highland, Ulster County, January 1

K5j0GDE.jpg

Hyde Park, Dutchess County, January 2

LmGNmNn.jpg

Cold Spring, Putnam County, January 3

WmPKKm2.jpg

Hudson, Columbia County, January 3

en0vYeG.jpg

Beacon, Dutchess County, January 5

A3QB4q3.jpg

Esopus, Ulster County, January 6

fZ4XVSM.jpg

Highland Falls, Orange County, January 7

L91OO9o.jpg

Cold Spring, Putnam County, January 7

egTF26u.jpg

New Windsor, Orange County, January 8

ze3RBJF.jpg

Barrytown, Dutchess County, January 9

7o0RFq1.jpg

Somewhere in the middle between Red Hook and Esopus, January 8

1QW5fLv.jpg

South from Walkway Over the Hudson, Ulster County, January 9

24S5Us7.jpg

North from same location, January 9

jtUlfuv.jpg

7 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

A long stretch of below-freezing temperatures, beginning December 26th and ending January 9th at KPOU, produced some of the thickest and most extensive Hudson River ice in several years. Ice on the river has always been a favorite subject of mine to photograph, so over the past 10 days I've tried to visit as many places between the Bear Mountain and Rip Van Winkle bridges as possible. Here are some of the photos I've captured, generally one per excursion, through January 9th. Despite the rapid warmup over the last two days, northern areas are still locked in, so more shots surely to come (and I'd love if others contributed photos from areas further south).

uQTl0lm.jpg

All Nice shots!  There's a few I like better than the rest, but noticed this one because of KHP (and a wee bit of Roundtop) in the background.  I've been up there a couple of times recently including on a sub zero day Christmas week.

59 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

uQTl0lm.jpg

Barrytown, Dutchess County, January 1

vnDtUOH.jpg

Highland, Ulster County, January 1

K5j0GDE.jpg

Hyde Park, Dutchess County, January 2

LmGNmNn.jpg

Cold Spring, Putnam County, January 3

WmPKKm2.jpg

Hudson, Columbia County, January 3

en0vYeG.jpg

Beacon, Dutchess County, January 5

A3QB4q3.jpg

Esopus, Ulster County, January 6

fZ4XVSM.jpg

Highland Falls, Orange County, January 7

L91OO9o.jpg

Cold Spring, Putnam County, January 7

egTF26u.jpg

New Windsor, Orange County, January 8

ze3RBJF.jpg

Barrytown, Dutchess County, January 9

7o0RFq1.jpg

Somewhere in the middle between Red Hook and Esopus, January 8

1QW5fLv.jpg

South from Walkway Over the Hudson, Ulster County, January 9

24S5Us7.jpg

North from same location, January 9

jtUlfuv.jpg

Really amazing photos.

3 hours ago, NorthShoreWx said:

All Nice shots!  There's a few I like better than the rest, but noticed this one because of KHP (and a wee bit of Roundtop) in the background.  I've been up there a couple of times recently including on a sub zero day Christmas week.

Thanks! Yeah, I love the way the Catskills loom large from across the river on a clear day. I've actually never climbed Kaaterskill... I believe there are supposed to be some excellent views from Hurricane Ledge on one of the side-trails. I bet you had the place to yourself on your last visit. :)

I'm going to rename the thread to be more inclusive of other frozen waterways and bays, since folks have been adding some excellent photos taken away from the Hudson.

2 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

SleepyHollow01062018-4b.jpg.8b6ba8c508daa1cdfe84414f4bad4dfb.jpgSleepyHollow01062018-2b.jpg.a74b991dce8dad811c9bbf2f5ccca356.jpgTarrytown01062018-1b.jpg.55c2dd5583d1e57844eedba498976034.jpg

Top 2 photos are from Sleepy Hollow; the bottom one is from Tarrytown (all taken January 6).

Spectacular portraits of deep winter. Thanks for posting!

2 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I’ll throw in my Great South Bay shot from yesterday 1/10

2A2EFC74-28B3-45E4-82DD-8CACE229754E.jpeg

Looks like the tundra, very cool.

2 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Thanks! Yeah, I love the way the Catskills loom large from across the river on a clear day. I've actually never climbed Kaaterskill... I believe there are supposed to be some excellent views from Hurricane Ledge on one of the side-trails. I bet you had the place to yourself on your last visit. :)

I'm going to rename the thread to be more inclusive of other frozen waterways and bays, since folks have been adding some excellent photos taken away from the Hudson.

Hiked with a friend and didn't see another soul.  It was cold but beautiful:

20171228_110953s1200.thumb.jpg.2de7cd1484e22afbd7c34a72fd3d8996.jpg20171228_113139s1200.thumb.jpg.2120649621a02d82f038b1b2fee3eb01.jpg

This is Hurricane Ledge back in October (at least one of these has the Hudson ;) ) :

20171021_134003s1200.thumb.jpg.d967a3aef9aed21bbb1edffa26cdfb14.jpg20171021_133952s1200.thumb.jpg.16dc4673d0054fe80ec152aad9ea390c.jpg

5 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Wow, pretty cool to see spruce there! What’s the elevation? Seems low for spruce 

Except for an old clearing at the very summit, the top of KHP has a first growth spruce-fir forest (Red Spruce and Balsam).  The summit elevation is 3655 feet.  Long ago, people thought that KHP (Kaaterskill High Peak) was the highest of the Catskills because of it's appearance from the Hudson Valley, but there are more than 20 higher summits, with Slide Mountain the highest at nearly 4200 feet (or a little over 4200 according to some sources).

Spruce-fir boreal forests (I think the fir are more prevalent than spruce on most peaks) are common near many of the Catskill summits.  It occurs at slightly different elevations and is more likely on the north side of the peaks for obvious reasons, but tends to show in obvious bands near the summit, like in this example on Black Dome (el 3990):

20170204_131345s800.jpg.6aecf353ce182acfa5bc1b8505e8fd83.jpg

8 hours ago, nzucker said:

These are incredible...love the Hudson Highlands. Geologically, they are the oldest mountains in the country.

Supposedly the Highlands were once taller than the present-day Himalayas. Geology is one of the few fields of physical science in which I find myself totally lost, so I'm not sure if that's accepted fact or just conjecture, but I always try to keep that in mind when I'm feeling winded on a 600 foot ascent of Sugarloaf or Storm King.

5 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Supposedly the Highlands were once taller than the present-day Himalayas. Geology is one of the few fields of physical science in which I find myself totally lost, so I'm not sure if that's accepted fact or just conjecture, but I always try to keep that in mind when I'm feeling winded on a 600 foot ascent of Sugarloaf or Storm King.

My favorite hike in the area is Breakneck Ridge...steep and winding, but beautiful views. I believe the Hudson Highlands are around 1.5 billion years old, so they are much more heavily eroded than the younger Appalachians or much younger Rockies. Despite the lower elevations, the relief is quite sudden, especially on Breakneck Ridge.

43 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I tooled around a bit with geology while in college and heard the same thing.

I'm not sure about the Himalayas, I remember hearing Rockies in one of my science electives in college. One of the most fascinating places to visit in my opinion is the Indian Ladder Trial, part of Thatcher State Park outside of New Scotland, New York. If you ever have the chance, make a detour there. You walk underneath a waterfall (if it's running) about 1,000 feet elevation at that point. There are signs posted regarding the once massive lake which covered Upstate New York and eroded the cliff walls that you see.

Unfortunately, I cannot describe it accurately; but visit it. The concept of a massive lake over 1,000 feet in depth in that part of the Mohawk/Hudson Valley is mind boggling.

For my own hometown growing up in New Jersey, we have Pyramid Mountain with Tripod Rock. A boulder the size of a modest house, 3-4 feet off the ground and perched on 3 small boulders the size of smart cars. The elevation at that point is about 900 feet. To think of the sheer force and size of the glacier which deposited it, is really something to speculate on.

Archived