• Welcome to American Weather

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Typhoon Tip

Nearing the 2nd half of Meteorological winter:

Like a long duration 5-6" storm....that's pretty close to going nuke though....looks like it does it in time for Maine.

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

That storm had some form of gravity wave, or moisture deformation issues, ...  some kind of thing going on that disrupted a ubiquitous result, because there were concentric bands of entirely pedestrian amounts NW of those SE zones.. For that alone, it's total score took a hit. 

I was up in Acton Mass at the time ...I think we got 6.5" or so...and was mid way inside a 10 mile wide band from NE CT to the Merrimack Valley that took up advisory snow from that system. 

I don't mean to downplay or spin out it's significance to those it did impact, but some how some way that thing was a cosmic dildo storm. 

I was going to UMASS Lowell then..they got about 18", and I had 25".

49 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

no heh i was just being tongue in cheek ... 

but sometimes there is a bit of an auto-pilot type of vitriol that happens from some users in here, ..if one dares even hint an insinuation that challenges the sanctity of their coveted events. ahaha. 

it's like dealing with Patriots football fans whenever the topic of Tom Brady comes up.  

I was looking at amounts for that storm.  Holy cow at the Cape  40" in Mashpee

(I barely remember it...)

49 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I recall that one. Age 11. In Vernon.. we had 17” I think. Only good storm of that winter 

Feb 83 kev

not to hype ...buuut, considering what that does aloft between D6-7 ...that surface result should have been more. 

interesting.

almost appears to have been moisture/thermodynamically starved. 

But it also looks a little bizarre at 144 hours with like ...zero s/w ridging ripping out ahead and off the EC.  That's an oddity there - .. some structural issues and probably moisture dynamics limiting an otherwise potency - Not a bad storm as is, though.  

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Lol yup

wait guess that was a helluva storm in my hood, I'll check yours

1983-01-15 32 20 26.0 0.9 39 0 1.68 13.5 T
1983-01-16 29 15 22.0 -3.1 43 0 0.36 3.6 16

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

wait guess that was a helluva storm in my hood, I'll check yours

1983-01-15 32 20 26.0 0.9 39 0 1.68 13.5 T
1983-01-16 29 15 22.0 -3.1 43 0 0.36 3.6 16

You had a foot in that one too, so two good storms that winter

I looked at WPC and it does seem weird that it takes 48 hours for a clipper to go from Cleveland, to the benchmark and then to the east coast of NS.  Either it deepens significantly and slows down, or that is really 2 lows?

20 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

not to hype ...buuut, considering what that does aloft between D6-7 ...that surface result should have been more. 

interesting.

almost appears to have been moisture/thermodynamically starved. 

But it also looks a little bizarre at 144 hours with like ...zero s/w ridging ripping out ahead and off the EC.  That's an oddity there - .. some structural issues and probably moisture dynamics limiting an otherwise potency - Not a bad storm as is, though.  

We saw the same garbage solutions leading up to the blizzard...I'm more interested in the ensembles than I am pondering the deterministic OP runs apparently inability to execute a phase.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Like a long duration 5-6" storm....that's pretty close to going nuke though....looks like it does it in time for Maine.

What about the rest of the region?  What are nuke chances  beyond Maine at this point?

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

We saw the same garbage solutions leading up to the blizzard...I'm more interested in the ensembles than I am pondering the deterministic OP runs apparently inability to execute a phase.

well yeah... we've been over this, sure. 

the fast flow is prooobably not the best environment for delicately handling a fusion scenario at this sort of loud time range. 

that was also evident as little as 36 hours prior to the last one.  we had to rely on the non-hydros to handle those vertical thermodynamic feedbacks with height falls and such to help pull this west and deepen it more.  Which the models did pick up the depth before the other storm attributes, which is fascinating enough...  

I mentioned that awhile ago in this thread that we would probably have some similar hand wringing - doesn't mean we'll duplicate that scenario here but just in general. 

7 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

What about the rest of the region?  What are nuke chances  beyond Maine at this point?

A lot of nothing at one point.  Some north and some south. We ares stuck in the middle.

Still lots of time/runs     I won't get too wrapped up in it until D3 or so