Weathernoob335
Nearing the 2nd half of Meteorological winter:

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

Why was he banned?

Others can elaborate on that if they want to.  If I recall it was derogatory comments towards someone.  Personal attacks, and just dumb-ass-fu.ckery are the main reasons to get banned. He and a few others got banned within the same multi month period.  Things got heated here and in the off topic forum for a bit, for various reason, but not nec. related.  It was odd, like full moon type stuff that seem to last for a few months.

6 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

Others can elaborate on that if they want to.  If I recall it was derogatory comments towards someone.  Personal attacks, and just dumb-ass-fu.ckery are the main reasons to get banned. He and a few others got banned within the same multi month period.  Things got heated here and in the off topic forum for a bit, for various reason, but not nec. related.  It was odd, like full moon type stuff that seem to last for a few months.

For sure some of that banter  looked less than friendly. I was hesitant to join up in part from reading it.

16 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

I remember Pete used to love going into the Mid-Atlantic threads and troll them about how bad their area was for snow and why do they even bother.  I mean he did that in this forum with coastal plain folks but I remember the mid-Atlantic crowd didn't enjoy it as much.  He did fly off the rails a few times outside the New England forum that I think got him banned.

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I remember Pete used to love going into the Mid-Atlantic threads and troll them about how bad their area was for snow and why do they even bother.  I mean he did that in this forum with coastal plain folks but I remember the mid-Atlantic crowd didn't enjoy it as much.  He did fly off the rails a few times outside the New England forum that I think got him banned.

I remember him asking me if I could see the Atlantic Ocean after telling him I lived in Coventry.

12 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

I remember him asking me if I could see the Atlantic Ocean after telling him I lived in Coventry.

lol.  He is definitely proud of his elevation, and still being in SNE.  Snow lingers up there just a bit longer.  Dude is kind of a free spirit too.  He used to go heli-skiing in Alaska, and probably still does.

23 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah, I am remembering that now.  There was some back and forth with those folks, and this was during the whole Circle of Trust thing, and the Mid Atlantic people getting into it with him and the IceP.usy term was brought out more than once. It did get pretty ugly.  Something got him sh.it canned here but I forgot what it was, but am thinking it had something to do with the Mid Atlantic feud.

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

I feel for ya but if I posted my bad **** it's comparable.  I have learned that you can't go thru life being down  

I said that half in jest but dude you come across as a curmudgeon. Happy Curmudgeon day by the way

You have as much excuse as anyone to be miserable, yet you are the furthest from it.

Admirable.

We all have put $hit....just gotta find things to appreciate it, like a place like this to share with people of like interests.

4 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

It’s been nearly 4 weeks since I’ve had an 18”+ storm... I think we’ve waited long enough for another one.

Kidding aside... I need like 5” to reach my seasonal average and we are about to enter the snowiest month of our winter down here.

Playing with house money at this point

Nice man.  It's amazing how fast SE New England areas can turn around or run normal to average with a few solid hits.  Go 3 for 4, maybe a homer mixed it, then gravy.

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Long long way to go

Question for non Mets from the EPS 15 day accumulation.  What do you see here as a wx pattern? I will say later what I see.

Boundary zone near the east coast with rapidly shifting temperatures from time to time (tilting towards colder)...shifts either way possible (east or west with the gradient)...fast flow and multiple shortwaves lead to very terrible model performance.  Add a side of climo. 

5 hours ago, codfishsnowman said:

I cannot fault anyone in n/w ct...w/c ma back into vt and upstate ny for being frustrated with how things have played out for snow the past 15-20 years and, if the shoe was on the other foot I don't believe for a second that the disappointment posts from eastern folks wouldn't be epic.

I have basically given up, my area will always suck no matter what and 1/hr baking soda events will have to be acceptable,etc,etc,etc

What played out today has happened dozens and dozens of times out east, no matter what this seems to be the regime we are stuck in and looking back through history this "eastern jackpot zone" has happened many times prior (even back to the 1717 folklore). Eastern New England sticks out just enough to get in on the goods in many events. Heck there was even a frontal passage a few weeks ago that got its self together s/e of I-84 and 1-2 inches quickly fell. The same general sentiment goes for the coastal tri state area too as they have really cleaned up as well.

I still have a general interest in weather so I follow along and still learn new things

I'm not a statistician but Climatology still says BDL gets more snow than Boston right at Logan airport per year as well as places like GON, TAN, PYM,  PVD etc,. when going by 50 year averages. Will probably knows this stats from memory.   Some of your frustration is merited but may also be a bit overblown.  There could very well be a 10-15 year period down the road where the interior NW gradient re-establishes itself firmly.  It's been a great run in eastern areas and the fringe jobs around here have been nasty.  The lower valley will always be a relative/local minimum due to topography but there will be many years that we do better than the SE coastal regions.  We will probably very rarely if ever beat ORH or PSF or even Kevin in a seasonal total in our lifetime.   That I have come to accept.  

11 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Lol no. I see an Open Gulf track towards Ohio Valley then jump off the Carolinas with Miller B. Active track just offshore.  High pressure in Eastern Canada. Multiple opportunities. 

The Super Bowl event doesn't look major to me...the H5 system is weakening as it approaches.

Moderate upside.

8 hours ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

I'm not a statistician but Climatology still says BDL gets more snow than Boston right at Logan airport per year as well as places like GON, TAN, PYM,  PVD etc,. when going by 50 year averages. Will probably knows this stats from memory.   Some of your frustration is merited but may also be a bit overblown.  There could very well be a 10-15 year period down the road where the interior NW gradient re-establishes itself firmly.  It's been a great run in eastern areas and the fringe jobs around here have been nasty.  The lower valley will always be a relative/local minimum due to topography but there will be many years that we do better than the SE coastal regions.  We will probably very rarely if ever beat ORH or PSF or even Kevin in a seasonal total in our lifetime.   That I have come to accept.  

I am wildly suspicious of the 50/yr avg and have made plenty of posts over the past 8 years where I hypothesize that this area may indeed be a min within a min (avg may be low-mid 40s)....in 13 winters here 04-05 to 16-17 my average is 45/46 inches

I have thought about a nw period maybe in the 50s/60s but record keeping back this way has generally been poor

Logan, btw, historically has been grossly undermeasured enough to skew it's average by a couple inches

• 2 weeks later...

Archived