Newest Member
    joxey
Nearing the 2nd half of Meteorological winter:

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

It was showing a cutter through BGM like 30 hours ago. lol. 

Yeah good consistency....lol. Although I suppose no surprise. One thing that's becoming clear (and fingers crossed)...the cutters that have shown up in the 7 day window are just getting ripped apart in this flow. I mean yes yesterday and today are very mild, but not the shut 'em down solutions that the European guidance had a while back.

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah good consistency....lol. Although I suppose no surprise. One thing that's becoming clear (and fingers crossed)...the cutters that have shown up in the 7 day window are just getting ripped apart in this flow. I mean yes yesterday and today are very mild, but not the shut 'em down solutions that the European guidance had a while back.

Also a reminder not to really worry about any threats until at least day 5/6. 

But yeah, the cutters have been a total fail. Good for ski areas at least. We need a good high QPF snow event up there though to set the stage for February. Maybe a big SWFE or something we can muster up in the first week of February. The kind that gives like the entire region 9-12" with maybe some pelting mixing in down south with a frigid Scooter high sprawling. 

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Also a reminder not to really worry about any threats until at least day 5/6. 

But yeah, the cutters have been a total fail. Good for ski areas at least. We need a good high QPF snow event up there though to set the stage for February. Maybe a big SWFE or something we can muster up in the first week of February. The kind that gives like the entire region 9-12" with maybe some pelting mixing in down south with a frigid Scooter high sprawling. 

I've been disappointed at the lack of SWFE this Niña... was hoping for a few more of those widespread .5-1.0" QPF 6-8 hour thumps we often see.  They aren't huge events but spread the wealth from Lake Ontario to Portland and put down some dense snow.  

Our "SWFE" this season have been more like triple point cutters that bring some sleet and ZR then rain.

Just now, powderfreak said:

I've been disappointed at the lack of SWFE this Niña... was hoping for a few more of those widespread .5-1.0" QPF 6-8 hour thumps we often see.  They aren't huge events but spread the wealth and put down some dense snow.  

Better pattern for that perhaps coming up. I know what you mean. Even down here, they can be fun events since a good chunk of the event is usually frozen.

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Better pattern for that perhaps coming up. I know what you mean. Even down here, they can be fun events since a good chunk of the event is usually frozen.

Yeah those systems where the 850mb cold is wedged down into PA and there's a wall of precip from BUF to ACK moving northeast...all frozen north of the Pike and maybe some in far SNE get ZR after 5-6" of snow.  

Those events where it's just Winter Storm Warning for 5-10" for literally all of NY and New England.  Even if you mix you get 5" and if you don't mix you get 8-10".

13 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah those systems where the 850mb cold is wedged down into PA and there's a wall of precip from BUF to ACK moving northeast...all frozen north of the Pike and maybe some in far SNE get ZR after 5-6" of snow.  

Those events where it's just Winter Storm Warning for 5-10" for literally all of NY and New England.  Even if you mix you get 5" and if you don't mix you get 8-10".

I was going to say I miss those ones where they seem to move on a ENE line from Binghamton up through and my neck of the woods would get whacked.  In my back yard, I get it, but I still can sigh reminiscently can't I?  There were the years where it was a veritable parade of them and of course that's what sticks in my memory.

Archived