Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Nearing the 2nd half of Meteorological winter:

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Tallest pack in ORH I've ever seen is still march 2001 at 47 inches. We didn't beat it in 2015 but came close...I think 42-43" in 2015. But the 2001 pack was so much more impressive because of the water content. 

We flirted with 40" in 2011 as well but never quite got there. I peaked at 38 inches in early February 2011. 

what did ou have otg b4 the early march storm?

14 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

71 inches otg in Feb 2001 in st. Johns.  

How much after the April Fools monster?  That one dodged east in the day before arrival, otherwise it would've brought the 48" depth on 3/31 up to a pretty respectable pack.  Didn't St. johns get something like 500 cm that winter?

4 minutes ago, tamarack said:

I'd rule out Chimney Pond as "non-mountain"; it's more than a thousand feet higher than the obs location at Jay Peak.  (Are any depth records kept at either of those 2 places?)

Nearly positive Chimney Pond does, but for sure we have reporting from Hermit Lake/Harvard Cabin. It is listed on our HYD if we get the ob in time.

Hey Will ...  this sort of hearkens back to our conversation for me, this sense of absolute abandonment of anything. 

We were talking about this being a "-EPO decade"  .. and how in the absence of -EPO, it becomes an exercise in extremes.   The -NAO's may just be kinder for 'maintenance'  ...  because sans the -EPO cold protectorate, it seems these 2012 reduxes are more than willing to sweep through. 

Although, there are snow storms on the map ...western Lakes.  I guess this may not be a 2012 analog for that reason alone.  Anyway, the present -EPO block is westerly based, and the wave spacing is really ultimately turning the storm track left.

36 minutes ago, ice1972 said:

Lolz....nice to see folks admitting they hate winter getting F’ed up by thaws and rainers.....it may be a normal thing but expecting it doesn’t make me hate it less.....I wonder what the equivalent departure in summer would be?  

Yeah. I'm freaking done...Finished...going into hibernation.
giphy.gif

28 minutes ago, tamarack said:

I'd rule out Chimney Pond as "non-mountain"; it's more than a thousand feet higher than the obs location at Jay Peak.  (Are any depth records kept at either of those 2 places?)

Wasn't the Jay Peak location at like 1,800ft?

They had over 100" on the ground reported in December 2003...they reported like 87" in like 5 or 6 days at one point?  

I'm not sure I believe the depth though.  The snow was possible but for 1,800ft that depth of 100" in December is hard to fathom.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Wasn't the Jay Peak location at like 1,800ft?

They had over 100" on the ground reported in December 2003...they reported like 87" in like 5 or 6 days at one point?  

I'm not sure I believe the depth though.  The snow was possible but for 1,800ft that depth of 100" in December is hard to fathom.

How dare you question Jay Peak!

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

I mean the whining is a little excessive for generally above normal snowfall to this point. So it looks like we give some back to climo, but it only takes one system to keep everyone on track. 

I like continuous snow cover but I suspect most on here would take a month of torch if they could get an April 97 event in exchange.

Too bad Mother Nature doesn't barter. 

8 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I like continuous snow cover but I suspect most on here would take a month of torch if they could get an April 97 event in exchange.

Too bad Mother Nature doesn't barter. 

The deluge and torch a week ago, then this snow event and now the thaw has really wreaked havoc on the roads here.  Pothole bonus season 

36 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

not sure if this means anything to this forum but the 18z NAM did trend more resistant with the cold about 60 miles in all direction ... keeps icing into the interior some 9 hour longer on this run - albeit light QPF.  ...

yeah for sure .. you can see the CAD signature more pronounced than the 12z run in SNE 

prob will be a non-event for most, but it would't surprise me if nw of 495/90 see some zr into tuesday morning. too bad the antecedent airmass is garbage 

2 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I remember that ... I was living in Waltham Massachusetts at the time, and was doing the typical bar-fly thing I used to do back in those days, down at the "Mad Raven" it was called... Not sure how it came up but this dude was there from there. Yeah, I'm pretty sure he said St John's, but it definitely was Nova Scotia. 

He actually had wallet photos, three of them. One was the front of his parent's house, ...tented over by snow.  I schit you not.  The driveway was bermed by these 15' glacial walls from on-going clearance and maintenance, the end of which just sort of merged with the snow that was laterally encasing the roof from side to side.  Weirdest visage...  I remember thinking, ...beyond what are the odds that some random stranger in a pub down on Rt 20 in Waltham would actually have those photos, but wondering if something like that could ever happen in SNE... I think of both locations as sort of sticking out and like sore thumbs in wait of an epic winter - but obviously, given to latitude, more like that would occur up there.

I've seen three winters around here that by circumstance of local climate are "epic" by these standards.  1993-1994, 1995-1996, and 2014-2015 ... everything thing else argues for seeding.  I wasn't around here in 1978 but ...from the sounds of it, that year was more about epicosity in the singular event(s) rather than totality - no offense intended. 

Anyway, I remember that photo well, as well as another looking down the length of a two-lane road with similar 15 to 20' walls on either side.   Was that year some kind of greatest ever?

1993-94 was not at all epic nw of Boston.

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Have you been up to "The Horns" pond in the Bigelow Range?  Stunning alpine pond. 

Sure doesn't feel like it when you're up there.   (Chris' comment about Chimney Pond)

IIRC, Jay Peak's obs location is at 1,875', and your contour map puts Chimney at about 2,900.

In Dec 2003 Jay Peak recorded 144"; can't recall what, if any, pack they had going into the month.

I've never been to either Chimney or Horns; I've been told those are the two most heavily used (by number of people) hike-in camping areas in Maine, but both are well designed to handle the numbers while maintaining the experience.

11 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Wasn't that one of BDL's top winters? 

yes that was the gradient winter where being on the ct/ma line paid huge dividends but there was some suspicion that BDL was somewhat inflated...I measured 60 inches that winter in Bristol CT but I do know that the single digit/low teens sleet storm was all heavy snow just north of Hartford so that gave some parts of northern ct a foot more of snow than 20 mi south just that event alone(that is the storm you talk about with the ocean effect snow falling with the sleet)

Dude though, my whole life whether it was Bristol CT or Springfield MA I really just have been crazy unlucky....had I been in Bristol the past 15 years I wouldn't complain about anything...just bad timing

and regardless of what Ryan says, I only had 15-16 inches in Bristol CT in the blizzard of 96 and a two foot total depth.....other places nearby had two feet and depths over 30 inches but I was stuck between bands on that storm and never had rates over 1/hr

Archived