Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Nearing the 2nd half of Meteorological winter:

Typhoon Tip

23 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The EPS was very cold in the mean.  Almost Miller B style instead of a cutter.

How many times have we seen this play,  especially when systems cut so far west. Cryosphere FTW for you guys. Keeping huge tracts of Eastern Canada cold with deep snow pack definitely influences the overall pattern.  Its not like down here near the coast where air masses overwhelm any cryospherically induced cold.  Deep deep high pressure ftw

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Kind of how i envisioned this one, Comes in weaker and gets squeezed out underneath up here, Will have to watch it going forward to see if it continues, But that 3 runs now where this has been moving further south and iy has some support.

Yea I certainly wouldn’t be betting against the EPS right now.

The arctic is open and accessible, so I’m strongly leaning colder with this, and a GFS/GEFS cave. Climo also helps in these situations of course.

37 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

How many times have we seen this play,  especially when systems cut so far west. Cryosphere FTW for you guys. Keeping huge tracts of Eastern Canada cold with deep snow pack definitely influences the overall pattern.  Its not like down here near the coast where air masses overwhelm any cryospherically induced cold.  Deep deep high pressure ftw

A -NAO would have worked wonders for SNE with the way the arctic has been this season. It’s why the gradient has been so pronounced up here this season imo. -NAO is much more important as you lose latitude and  that’s especially true closer to the coast.

It's a front end transition to a miller B for NNE as it is ... or is most likely to be. 

Down here, as we discussed yesterday late afternoon and still ...that looks like an icy mess on the Euro.  As other's have noted, perhaps even more so in the EPS mean. 

One thing concerning in either that oper. or ensemble mean, the polar high isn't dislodging and moving off to the east...it's really being undercut by this thing...that never ever ever sits well with removing ageostrophic flow regimes.  ... we go through this over and over and over again ...year after year after year ... situation after situation after situation when the cold has a source, the models drill the low merrily to BTV...  But, the colder solutions relative all always always always will win in that situation.  

I mentioned yesterday that some of the off-beat model types weren't far from committing to more of a miller B and clearly, this continues now indoctrinating the oper. Euro to do so as well. in fact, we see the lowest modeled pressure over eastern/SNE 00z next Wednesday, while the mid level cold/mechanics are now also being squeezed more east rather than rotating freely up into Canada. 

Hard to say if that latter aspect/behavior is why the GFS sees much less llv forcing to the coast than the Euro, but it does... either way, the Euro's superior resolution and correction schemes may have something to do with its seeing/resolving the llv/resistance over New England in general.  That's why in a nut shell, the coldest solutions always win in a situation when there is an actual cold source feeding the llv mass fields. ... I find it interesting that the NAVGEM even gives more miller B tendency a nod. 

So what are we talking about?  Probably a trend that's not final for one.  The mid level features associated with that quasi-closed "bowling ball" wave could easily correct south a little more - though that's not going to go crazy either. Heights in the south/SE are for real and anchored hemispherically.  This is a pancaking wave that's getting squeezed over the top of said ridge in the south ... and south of confluence and [possibly] polar high that's being too liberally eroded to the north.  Kitchen sink sensible weather result.  

18 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

If I get 27” I’ll make out with you. 

I'm good but thanks for the offer. If my system is right  look out for March you will almost double to get around another 50 for both months to end the year. Snowstorms start and end the month of Feb with a mini thaw mid month. March will have a rocking 3 weeks

34 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It's a front end transition to a miller B for NNE as it is ... or is most likely to be. 

Down here, as we discussed yesterday late afternoon and still ...that looks like an icy mess on the Euro.  As other's have noted, perhaps even more so in the EPS mean. 

One thing concerning in either that oper. or ensemble mean, the polar high isn't dislodging and moving off to the east...it's really being undercut by this thing...that never ever ever sits well with removing ageostrophic flow regimes.  ... we go through this over and over and over again ...year after year after year ... situation after situation after situation when the cold has a source, the models drill the low merrily to BTV...  But, the colder solutions relative all always always always will win in that situation.  

I mentioned yesterday that some of the off-beat model types weren't far from committing to more of a miller B and clearly, this continues now indoctrinating the oper. Euro to do so as well. in fact, we see the lowest modeled pressure over eastern/SNE 00z next Wednesday, while the mid level cold/mechanics are now also being squeezed more east rather than rotating freely up into Canada. 

Hard to say if that latter aspect/behavior is why the GFS sees much less llv forcing to the coast than the Euro, but it does... either way, the Euro's superior resolution and correction schemes may have something to do with its seeing/resolving the llv/resistance over New England in general.  That's why in a nut shell, the coldest solutions always win in a situation when there is an actual cold source feeding the llv mass fields. ... I find it interesting that the NAVGEM even gives more miller B tendency a nod. 

So what are we talking about?  Probably a trend that's not final for one.  The mid level features associated with that quasi-closed "bowling ball" wave could easily correct south a little more - though that's not going to go crazy either. Heights in the south/SE are for real and anchored hemispherically.  This is a pancaking wave that's getting squeezed over the top of said ridge in the south ... and south of confluence and [possibly] polar high that's being too liberally eroded to the north.  Kitchen sink sensible weather result.  

Good analysis tip, I agree on all the points you hit on, The colder solutions have won out on almost every system this winter, That's a sprawling high to the north and one would only think it would continue to hold or build further south.

Tip def makes a good point about the high position...this isn't trying to "hang on" to the northeast of CAR and sliding east...this thing is sitting directly north of New England over southern Quebec. It's pretty strong too....like 1036 by the time is achieves that position. That's going to be very stubborn...esp in low levels. We'll have to see if guidance trends this colder if the high position does not change.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Tip def makes a good point about the high position...this isn't trying to "hang on" to the northeast of CAR and sliding east...this thing is sitting directly north of New England over southern Quebec. It's pretty strong too....like 1036 by the time is achieves that position. That's going to be very stubborn...esp in low levels. We'll have to see if guidance trends this colder if the high position does not change.

Have to watch the icing threat over the interior..I remain skeptical this close to the water.

This has 32.0000000000001 degree rain written all over it inside of I 495.

ah...yeah, caveat emptor:   i should point out ...that wasn't a forecast per se. 

I was just covering some philosophies and spatial aspects that shouldn't be ignored (in my opinion) ...for/if one were to do so. 

Just saying, with that construct of feature synoptically evolving, the blithe early turn into southern Ontario looks suspect to me. And that does enter more feedbacks into coastal commitment ... draining ...blah blah blah

15 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Have to watch the icing threat over the interior..I remain skeptical this close to the water.

This has 32.0000000000001 degree rain written all over it inside of I 495.

I'm generally skeptical about any ice threat.  They sometimes pan out, but often it is, like you said, a very cold rain

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That high is in a good position. That’s usually a sign to take ‘em down. But nit sure it presses down enough to really go cold in SNE, save maybe Dave’s area. It would be nice to see if we can get a meso low to develop and tuck the cold in.

It would be nice if the antecedent airmass was better too. We try and filter this down from the N and NNE but it's only a glancing shot...would be nice to drill down a bit more deeper layer cold. NNE is able to do that enough perhaps.

11 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It would be nice if the antecedent airmass was better too. We try and filter this down from the N and NNE but it's only a glancing shot...would be nice to drill down a bit more deeper layer cold. NNE is able to do that enough perhaps.

Yeah we’re trying to replace downslope dandy air. At least it’s interesting for NH and ME. Maybe even VT too.

4 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Nice Windsexy squall line in NH Maine at morning rush hour

Kinda meh here, more a flurry than a squall - some moderate flakiness and a tenth or three, but essentially no wind.

GFS is your ordinary cutter with rain to the border, given how bad the Euro has been I wish it had more support

GFS remains stuck in a cooldown-cutter-cooldown-cutter-cooldown-cutter rut, right thru day 16.

Just now, HIPPYVALLEY said:

If we get two more runs trending colder and S I'll bite.  Let's see if GFS budges. 

Yeah...I want to see another real solid tick south before getting too invested for SNE...I mean, as is, we may see some light snow on the front end for pike region and northward, and then some sleet/ZR for a time, but it's mostly nuisance stuff before cold rain. Your area has a bit better shot to hold onto ZR longer...ubt overall, this would be a much more interesting event if we can get another solid bump south/colder. It's more interesting for dendrite-land and northward right now.

45 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

You are in the icing capital of SNE lol. 

I hear these things and wonder...  the last...I don't know... half dozen or so ice threats have either never materialized or have been minor (the mid- December one was ok)

Even before the 2008 storm it seemed we had several in the mid 2000's that were better than the last few years.

Archived