Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Nearing the 2nd half of Meteorological winter:

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I heard from some friends in Western Maine that said they've never seen snow disappear so fast as in that thaw.  They were going backcountry skiing in Baxter State Park and said they lost about 2 feet in 48 hours.  

That thaw didn't have the usual CAD and seemed worst to the east as we at least went below freezing to a mixed bag about 18 hours prior to similar latitude in eastern New England.

We lost a similar amount of snow in central VT at Pico.  Easily 2 feet gone.  Went from 100% open Monday-Thursday including unofficial glades to essentially two ways down, one upper mountain by Friday.  The only trail that survived up top had snowmaking and it had bare patches and water flows across it.  Folks who skied Saturday had a positively biased view of what happened as the inch or so that fell pre dawn covered up the dirt that had been exposed and provided a winter appeal.  The skiing was still terrible

24 minutes ago, Skivt2 said:

We lost a similar amount of snow in central VT at Pico.  Easily 2 feet gone.  Went from 100% open Monday-Thursday including unofficial glades to essentially two ways down, one upper mountain by Friday.  The only trail that survived up top had snowmaking and it had bare patches and water flows across it.  Folks who skied Saturday had a positively biased view of what happened as the inch or so that fell pre dawn covered up the dirt that had been exposed and provided a winter appeal.  The skiing was still terrible

Wow yeah we melted down but went from 110 trails to like 87.  The steep rocky headwalls are what went the most as they don't hold much snow no matter how much falls. I bet we lost 12-14" in the base area though and the summit Stake dropped 10" down to 35".  

It was ugly but not a complete disaster.

Yeh... not to be snarky or implicit but ... it's an internet thing. 

I'll stop shy of addiction, but ... people (and it's really of the relative to the iPhone Zombieism phenomenon) are reliant to these sort of technological offerings/diversions there in, like to the point where they don't know how to put it down, and in some cases, cannot seem to break from it at all. I have friends who will wake out of a dead sleep in the throws of the night, to check the Euro run - I'm like...man.

People are walking off curbs into traffic thumbing the screens of their handhelds...  utterly transfixed and unable to put it down.   It's not the exact same phenomenon, no ...but again, relatively the same.  What did society do 20 years ago when there was no internet - or if there was, it was an internet vastly barren compared to the compact peta bytes of data at people's disposal now? For many, they don't even know a world without the internet...  and for the rest of us, we seem to have forgotten.

The access to weather models is a recent event in human history...  as is the case with any special interest groups reliance on the internet.  The information access to anything, gets quite similar to a drug, when there is a constant siege to keep one's excitement elevated.  Remove it, and the sans environment becomes that more unpleasant.  But it's no different than not having it at all - however untenable that reality may be. 

I can remember circa 1993 ... and the weather channel days of glory. I used to tune in every hour at 22 min past for the extended outlook in the hopes that they would pain some white on eastern New England, with the words watching and an arrow point at us.  I can remember 10 years prior, this did not exist... I used to tune in at 6 pm daily to the local forecasts provided by the local CBS (out of Kalamazoo Michigan) and NBC (out of Grand Rapids Michigan) for their take on when the next 'exciting' weather even would take place. Otherwise, it was daydreaming...  

Now?  ... people are tuned in...always.  It ironic that the weather its self (this particular internet special interest group) is actually forcing people to 

18 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I'll stop shy of addiction, but ... people (and it's really of the relative to the iPhone Zombieism phenomenon) are reliant to these sort of technological offerings/diversions there in, like to the point where they don't know how to put it down, and in some cases, cannot seem to break from it at all. I have friends who will wake out of a dead sleep in the throws of the night, to check the Euro run - I'm like...man.

People are walking off curbs into traffic thumbing the screens of their handhelds...  utterly transfixed and unable to put it down.   It's not the exact same phenomenon, no ...but again, relatively the same.  What did society do 20 years ago when there was no internet - or if there was, it was an internet vastly barren compared to the compact peta bytes of data at people's disposal now? For many, they don't even know a world without the internet...  and for the rest of us, we seem to have forgotten.

The access to weather models is a recent event in human history...  as is the case with any special interest groups reliance on the internet.  The information access to anything, gets quite similar to a drug, when there is a constant siege to keep one's excitement elevated.  Remove it, and the sans environment becomes that more unpleasant.  But it's no different than not having it at all - however untenable that reality may be. 

I can remember circa 1993 ... and the weather channel days of glory. I used to tune in every hour at 22 min past for the extended outlook in the hopes that they would pain some white on eastern New England, with the words watching and an arrow point at us.  I can remember 10 years prior, this did not exist... I used to tune in at 6 pm daily to the local forecasts provided by the local CBS (out of Kalamazoo Michigan) and NBC (out of Grand Rapids Michigan) for their take on when the next 'exciting' weather even would take place. Otherwise, it was daydreaming...  

Now?  ... people are tuned in...always.  It ironic that the weather its self (this particular internet special interest group) is actually forcing people to 

Tip, do you remember the agricultural weather report from WGN in Chicago....at 1:40 each afternoon?

3 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

This post makes me think I need weather data rehab.....oy......hit the nail on the head.  I've even checked the Euro during a middle of the night pee.  I'm so ashamed!!!!

3 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I hate when there’s nothing to track. Maybe NNE can track the one next week, but CNE and SNE are done until further notice. Just gives you nothing to look forward to. 

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Deep winter.

3 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

40’s and mud all weekend. Looking forward to it!

Seriously?

Nothing...nill...nada?

2 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

Looks fairly active, whether anything goes in our favor remains to be seen. I like Ray's forecast, I'd be happy with a good Feb into March.

You guys realize that we’re down to mere weeks here......if nothing pops in the next 3 weeks....maybe 4....it’s over and the annual wait is on....we can invest 50% in wiz’s severe thread as always but that’s it dudes.....embrace the hate.....it’s over

Archived