Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Nearing the 2nd half of Meteorological winter:

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I heard from some friends in Western Maine that said they've never seen snow disappear so fast as in that thaw.  They were going backcountry skiing in Baxter State Park and said they lost about 2 feet in 48 hours.  

That thaw didn't have the usual CAD and seemed worst to the east as we at least went below freezing to a mixed bag about 18 hours prior to similar latitude in eastern New England.

I sort of was thinking the same thing.  I was expecting to lose all of it but other than some fields that had been scoured by the wind we have full coverage.  It could have been worse, though it was still awful enough.

Just now, tunafish said:

Nice to see that trend showing up at this lead time... plenty of time to work out the details.

Been keeping an eye on it, It was tracking well to the north of Maine and now its tracking over us, If we can get this to go under SNE it would be a real nice event.

the previous night's GEF's derived tele's offered some hope to close out the month.. but, last nights?  egh...  

not that anyone asked, but the problem for me is that ...if this boat ride fully commits to the water fall I'm all for the ride ...but dimes to donuts...  we'll keep fiddling with reasons to not commit to a truly warm explosion and early onset of spring and instead get the worst of both seasons out of it.  

that's what i dread. i really hate the garbage days of April... I hate them even more when it's January  

10 minutes ago, 512high said:

Tip, February look better then Jan? regarding cold and more events?

that's getting outside the range for the typical tele's progs. 

other's have different methods for that sort of long lead assessment - I don't normally employ those.  so if anyone else wants to chime in on Feb ?

otherwise ... early springs are not unprecedented in La Ninas ...to which this qualifies as a neutral-negative ENSO mid/end winter so - not saying much tho.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

I heard from some friends in Western Maine that said they've never seen snow disappear so fast as in that thaw.  They were going backcountry skiing in Baxter State Park and said they lost about 2 feet in 48 hours.  

That thaw didn't have the usual CAD and seemed worst to the east as we at least went below freezing to a mixed bag about 18 hours prior to similar latitude in eastern New England.

'95-'96 was one of my analogs for a reason....blizzard, then bang....poof.

Reload for late run.

Right now we are seeing the 2006 analog surface.

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

I sort of was thinking the same thing.  I was expecting to lose all of it but other than some fields that had been scoured by the wind we have full coverage.  It could have been worse, though it was still awful enough.

I'm in South Burlington looking at furniture today (shoot me) but I have to say this is probably one of the most wintry places around.  Looks like they got at least 7-8" of good dense snow from the "thaw"...good snowbanks and everything.  

It just has that "mid-winter" look of unmolested snow from the thaw because of that warning snow they got.

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I hope this spring isn't brutal.

HAHA...   right... 

That boundary separates "probably" high teens in Aroostook Maine from high 50s and 60s at State College in PA...  Notice the wet-bulbing sleet for Kevin just behind the lip of the boundary their in CT... Oh holy hell in this geography... Really, the airline industry should really study our fluid dynamics and learn how to really up the efficiency of their intake manifolds because this area of the world just uniquely sucks air mass SW like it's pulling tennis balls through garden hoses...

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

A high in that position N of the Maine in the spring would mean death....no way that 37-42F mist/drizzle/fog airmass would get dislodged.

no kidding... best to 'hope' for it to become more dominant and just winterize the lower 200 mb of the tropos entirely... 

that would also set stage for a bit of an interesting ...   come to think about it... if that Lakes cut minors out a little bit and that high is ... 5 mb stronger or whatever, it's interesting how these little variance make for ginormous sensible impacts down where it counts.   

Actually .. not that it matters much, but technically the boundary can be analyzed in the previous couple of frames as having sagged down to Rt 2 by 00z Monday (7 pm Sunday..) ... it pivots overnight down toward CT and then around sunrise it's more of a BD for them and points farther into the upper MA...  quibbling over details.

7 minutes ago, ice1972 said:

This winter has an extremely wrong appeal to it.....it may be the whole December was good thing only to have lost all of the hard work to that insanity last week.....I’d rather not thank you very much.....it’s too annoying.....

it's probably a conversation one engages in at extreme risk ... because it's 100 % subjective.... But I'd take this so far over anything that happened end to end last year.  

I also think folks should let things marinade ... the pattern coming in could break exceedingly warm - it certainly could. won't deny it... But, it could also end up transitory, which isn't bad because that offers at least excitement.  

Last year was banal ...period.  storms were pedestrian if at all... and it was like the atmosphere its self was parameterizing to NOT do anything like on purpose... heh

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

it's probably a conversation one engages in at extreme risk ... because it's 100 % subjective.... But I'd take this so far over anything that happened end to end last year.  

I also think folks should let things marinade ... the pattern coming in could break exceedingly warm - it certainly could. won't deny it... But, it could also end up transitory, which isn't bad because that offers at least excitement.  

Last year was banal ...period.  storms were pedestrian if at all... and it was like the atmosphere its self was parameterizing to NOT do anything like on purpose... heh

Agree.

23 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

So for the delinquent (me !) your saying if that keeps or would drop "down" more we have a ice event or possible snow event?  

Archived