Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Nearing the 2nd half of Meteorological winter:

Typhoon Tip

4 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I'm fine with it..that was expected to happen mid season. I'm pretty confident the nice look comes back later in Feb and into March.

Doesn't mean we can't snow in the mean time...

Pattern evolving congruously with my winter outlook as well. Front third cold/snowy pattern transitions to a more retracted jet/low AAM regime mid to late winter. My first window for a large event in the Northeast verified (well, I had late December - so a three day miss), and I had a second window for a potential larger event in the Feb 1-15 period. I think it will be more toward the second half of the period right now. The pattern will be hostile for the coast, particularly NYC southward, for at least 2-3 weeks.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Isotherm said:

Pattern evolving congruously with my winter outlook as well. Front third cold/snowy pattern transitions to a more retracted jet/low AAM regime mid to late winter. My first window for a large event in the Northeast verified (well, I had late December - so a three day miss), and I had a second window for a potential larger event in the Feb 1-15 period. I think it will be more toward the second half of the period right now. The pattern will be hostile for the coast, particularly NYC southward, for at least 2-3 weeks.

We agree for the most part...but my second window is a bit later than your's. I could def.  see mid Feb working out,  though....mass field shift as colder regime takes hold.

Honestly everyone after an extreme weather event has torn up my yArd and even ripped out part of my water well I have to say things aren't looking up. I have not been able to check the forum as extreme weather has been tearing up my yard day and night. If I can't live here without my whole yard getting ripped up why do I try? Feeling really down today. 

1 hour ago, Weatherexpert said:

Honestly everyone after an extreme weather event has torn up my yArd and even ripped out part of my water well I have to say things aren't looking up. I have not been able to check the forum as extreme weather has been tearing up my yard day and night. If I can't live here without my whole yard getting ripped up why do I try? Feeling really down today. 

Flooding?

4 hours ago, Weatherexpert said:

Meteor impact? Cthulhu rising from the nether regions??

49 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Euro really builds the strong cold high to the north and pushes a backdoor thru this weekend, squashing any torch with ice to rain early next week. Hopefully it's right

25 minutes ago, weathafella said:

11-15 looks active and cold enough for now.   We epic?

Winter lives!

12 hours ago, Weatherexpert said:

What the hell are you talking about?  Why is your specific location conducive to people pouring in like locusts, and then to ruining your yard in search of extreme weather goodness?  Even more importantly why are they so aggressive, and how and why did they rip out part of your water well?  What prevented them from taking out the whole thing?  

14 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Nice 20 knot easterly wind there. Certainly looks like a nasty forecast sounding anyway.

interesting. We've been just getting pelted for hours.  It was supposed to be zr by 12z, but looks like the good old 3c rule didn't work today. warm nose 4.4c. I bet it will changeover to a lighter zr once the fatter, stronger lift moves off to the east. 

ice pellets yyt.gif

Could end up being an over-top pattern ...  basically, where waves rippling overhead as opposed to more underneath... and you still get wintry appeals here and there due to the fact that New England has a unique propensity (geographic/topographic ... fluid synoptics...etc..) for "tucking" and junk.  

42 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

interesting. We've been just getting pelted for hours.  It was supposed to be zr by 12z, but looks like the good old 3c rule didn't work today. warm nose 4.4c. I bet it will changeover to a lighter zr once the fatter, stronger lift moves off to the east. 

ice pellets yyt.gif

That sounding is pretty good for sleet imho because the cold layer is more than -6C. That often can trump the warm layer being more than 3C. That's also a pretty deep cold layer too. Starts around 875mb. 

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

That sounding is pretty good for sleet imho because the cold layer is more than -6C. That often can trump the warm layer being more than 3C. That's also a pretty deep cold layer too. Starts around 875mb. 

Yeah, that's what's been going on.  We've had some snow mixing in too, which makes sense in a salty marine environnment with nucleiation around -6c. The models kinda overestimated the warm nose I think, some of it was eroded due to lift on the north side of the low. 

I suspect as is and assuming some synoptic achievement ...whatever MOS numbers you got for Saturday.. you ought to give them a boost.  That day has bust incarnate written all over it... 

Even at this time of year...still some 20 days from the end of the annual solar nadir, given to that deep layer WSW wafter look you're well mixed and probably have an anomalously tall mixing depth relative to time of year and diabatic concerns.  

Probably 7 F over present ...maybe even more.  

Granted, that's predicated on the assumption that the synoptics of the Euro/GFS oper blend verifies... notwithstanding.  

8 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I suspect as is and assuming some synoptic achievement ...whatever MOS numbers you got for Saturday.. you ought to give them a boost.  That day has bust incarnate written all over it... 

Even at this time of year...still some 20 days from the end of the annual solar nadir, given to that deep layer WSW wafter look you're well mixed and probably have an anomalously tall mixing depth relative to time of year and diabatic concerns.  

Probably 7 F over present ...maybe even more.  

Granted, that's predicated on the assumption that the synoptics of the Euro/GFS oper blend verifies... notwithstanding.  

With that look Id take the over on Sat and the under on Monday

Archived