joxey
Nearing the 2nd half of Meteorological winter:

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

What does that mean?

It means that there is no coherent signal in the ensemble variance.

Typically you would like to see a monopole (i.e. stronger or weaker low center) or dipole (i.e. faster/slower or east/west). The GEFS have no such signal, just broad areas of higher or lower pressures, never mind that there isn't any real mean low center to speak of.

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Typically you would like to see a monopole (i.e. stronger or weaker low center) or dipole (i.e. faster/slower or east/west). The GEFS have no such signal, just broad areas of higher or lower pressures, never mind that there isn't any real mean low center to speak of.

But, before the Blizzard...didn't the models act the "same" way until like 48 hrs away, or am i off big time?

3 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

So anotherwords if we didn’t have the EPS, we’d think no storm was coming?

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

We don't have to toss it, it just doesn't really inform us of anything. 

Based on the EPS we can say "if this, then that" but the GEFS doesn't provide enough info to do that.

So basically, It has no signal of a SLP on the east coast? Just a broad area of lower pressure?

Just now, dryslot said:

So basically, It has no signal of a SLP on the east coast? Just a broad area of lower pressure?

Pretty much, because like I said to Kevin it has pretty substantial differences among the members in timing and/or location.

If it can't figure out which shortwave is influencing the variance, you can't get a sensitivity signal. 

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

Pretty much, because like I said to Kevin it has pretty substantial differences among the members in timing and/or location.

If it can't figure out which shortwave is influencing the variance, you can't get a sensitivity signal. 

Ok, That makes sense.

Hi everyone I haven't been on this forum for a while as I have had influenza and been extremely ill. Unfortunately everything has taken a turn for the worse. Rainfall, floods, warm temps. I think this winter will flip flop, from warm temps and rain to below 0 and blizzards. That's unfortunately how the weather is in this day and age. 

34 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Rays not gonna like this turn of events 

The storm?

I love it...I'm glad my big storm window worked out, but I'm not gong to nail the whole season...I hope to get the general idea, and learn from the aspects that I miss.

It looks like I was right in identifying the 17-18th as the time to focus on, and not the 16th, but no.....I didn't expect another big event so soon, so this would stray from the outlook

Yes, I would another blizzard, regardless.

8 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

At least he's getting the torch he was rooting for. I don't know who would root for this weather in the winter though.

I wasn't rooting for it...I was expecting it, but it looks like the general pattern thereafter may not be as bad as I had feared. 

What I want and what I forecast are two different things...unless you're Kevin :lol:

14 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yea but it has to fit his seasonal calls. If he is off by a few days or a few inches, there’s collateral damage. 

I'm happy with it....I'd love to whiff on the extended thaw...as long as you understand why you were off, its fine.

I fully admit...I may be wrong on the long respite period, but I did make it clear that storms are still possible because its mid winter.

40 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

What turn of events? We're still at least a couple days away from having a clearer picture of what is going on in the flow.

Yes, this could still go to crap, and needless to say, so can't the extended range.

You think some would learn after selling on the blizzard.

5 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

The storm?

I love it...I'm glad my big storm window worked out, but I'm not gong to nail the whole season...I hope to get the general idea, and learn from the aspects that I miss.

It looks like I was right in identifying the 17-18th as the time to focus on, and not the 16th, but no.....I didn't expect another big event so soon, so this would stray from the outlook

Yes, I would another blizzard, regardless.

Put the 22nd /24th on the Radar 

Archived