Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Nearing the 2nd half of Meteorological winter:

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

yeah...again, the "PRE" snow is really the lead clipper system dying a slow death while the more important amplitude catches up ... ultimately fusing that into the latter.  

I almost hunch that the lead will either A   become dominant and it's all been a red-herring (unlikely), or B ...just become less and less in lieu of the synoptics beginning to reel from the influence/momentum of the bigger forcing. 

Or ...the third C option which is unthinkably naughty and immoral, ...which is that it snows light to moderate from it, none stop, in a 20 hour orgasm of weird emotional codependent obsession with snow-climate behavior before ultimately ... O.D. 'ing on the main event.   That's personally what I'm buckin' for ha!

If Churchill spoke Weenie, he couldn't have put it better.

5 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

gosh forbid we should ever have a snow storm at 32 F ... 

2/5/16 was a pretty good paste bomb near or just below 32F...only turned a little powdery once you got into the hills where it was more like 29F.

I feel like El Ninos are better for those blue bombs...usually have that very lax geopotential gradient in the southeast, so you can get those isothermal airmasses where its like 0C at 850 in Raleigh, NC and -3C in Boston and only -5C in Caribou ME. Then a southern streamer vort rolls up the east side of a trough with that baggy geopotential gradient and the moisture is not really frontogenetical in nature...just kind of a subtropical stream of moisture coming up and into that marginal airmass.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

2/5/16 was a pretty good paste bomb near or just below 32F...only turned a little powdery once you got into the hills where it was more like 29F.

I feel like El Ninos are better for those blue bombs...usually have that very lax geopotential gradient in the southeast, so you can get those isothermal airmasses where its like 0C at 850 in Raleigh, NC and -3C in Boston and only -5C in Caribou ME. Then a southern streamer vort rolls up the east side of a trough with that baggy geopotential gradient and the moisture is not really frontogenetical in nature...just kind of a subtropical stream of moisture coming up and into that marginal airmass.

yeah that was 1977-1978 incarnate ...   not sure about the Feb 5-7 one, but the two events earlier in January were these amorphous blobs of huge pwat ... I think one of them was supposed to be cold rain and sleet and it ended up with white outs from NW of NYC to Logan

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

While solution is possible, I’m not sure it’s gonna try to pull mini 1888.

I'll take a look when the EPS sensitivity updates (still on 00z) but so far the variance signal is pretty incoherent (no dipoles or monopoles showing up). The 12z EPS is definitely a strong MSLP signal, so maybe the sensitivity can tease something out. 

1 hour ago, Hoth said:

Didn't Feb '13 have something like that?

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah it did....the best of it was over Maine near PWM....they got a ton of OES and LL convergence enhancement before the main storm moved in. I think they had something like 12-15" before the main show arrived. :lol:

Like 10" of OES fluff ahead of that storm. Turned a big 24" blizzard into a record breaker.

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

The whole east assumption is so 2015 lol. I think the west tug has worked out well, even if the last one didn’t quite get up to you. 

I'm just saying, how many times has a Miller B with that evolution happened and dumped on me more than Dryslot... not impossible I guess but I'll sell too. 

Archived