Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 16-18 Threat

Ralph Wiggum

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ralph 
i liked what the euro showed at 0z and It wouldn't take much more of a tug west to enhance qpf from coastal component. Long shot in this progressive regime. 
NAM is trending how you mentioned. CRAS is also well west with more enhancement as is the NAVGEM. As always it seems the mesos are starting to pickup on details the globals are not.

Per JB at WB....

The snow event has 4 parts. part 1 is what we see now, but it falls apart tomorrow coming east

Part 2 is the snow pushing south that goes into the deep south. Part 3 is sort of an offshoot of that The front pushes to the east coast and snow falls behind it and a piece of the energy coming out leads to enhanced snow Pa into New England

The 4th part is the negative coming thru the slot. This looks to me to be a widespread 4-8 in the mid atlantic as we go 20-30 to 1, Its more a DC than NYC event though if the upper feature is stronger that second part will come north further,

But I have no changes, and if you look at the euro ensembles, look where the axis of what is now just 2-4 ( at 10-1) is

eps_snow_m_east_21(7).png

Of course, the subject of the Raging Weatherbull is over Arkansas, but why would I change a 4-8 inch idea from back on Wednesday for the I-95 corridor in the mid Atlantic to northeast given an ensemble that looks like this? I am mad cause I am not in it, but this is complex and I think the overall idea is pretty good.

Bhind this its going to warm and air masses from the west will be modified. May be 10-15 days before there is an accumulating snow threat in the areas in blue south of I-90 over the east

Great overnight trends. Looking like 3-6 into the Lehigh valley and Poconos

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Not sure I would place a bet on that. I posted in another forum that this is turning more into a light but drawn out fropa event and the light rates strung out over 24 hours or more wont pile the snow up that quickly. You guys up there do look in a better spot than say my area so you should make out better. Im just not sure what "better" is. Looks like a c-2" event down this way but I would hedge lower end of that range being common and the higher portion being the exception. Still......we take.

13 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:
45 minutes ago, anthonyweather said:
Great overnight trends. Looking like 3-6 into the Lehigh valley and Poconos

Not sure I would place a bet on that. I posted in another forum that this is turning more into a light but drawn out fropa event and the light rates strung out over 24 hours or more wont pile the snow up that quickly. You guys up there do look in a better spot than say my area so you should make out better. Im just not sure what "better" is. Looks like a c-2" event down this way but I would hedge lower end of that range being common and the higher portion being the exception. Still......we take.

I was thinking the same thing. A light strung out storm that will struggle to accumulate with temps right around 32. Hoping for just 2" here in Berks.

Extreme SE PA snow folks are going to be pulling their hair out Tuesday watching the front hang up to our West with mood flakes and flurries falling near PHL. It will eventually move our way but it is going to be nailbiting. There is even the chance the front fizzles as the coastal takes over and SE PA gets merely a dusting. I think the c-2" is decent for now but I *may* change the wording to 'up to 2" ' tonight.

NAM'd and still snowing parts of PA. Havent seen much support for the NAM but we'll see I guess. I say cut those totals in half just for being the NAM then take another 1/4-1/2 off those totals for the very light long duration.
cbbbab85e7f9337b2e5def129af23389.jpg&key=9041f843b67777fdba95ef889923caa4cddf9b6e4cfca80bd1396b6f1045d224
Yup nice run. Would be nice to see that but my expectations are tempered up here in Berks. It's been a strange winter thus far. Anyway, SKOL Vikes!

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Yeah just saw the NAM's and they've been upping the snowfall each run, bringing the stalled front slightly further east every run. Don't think I'm going to get 5", but if the precip stalls in in a good place, Lehigh Valley *could* get up to 5". Precip will need to fall heavy enough to overcome surface temps around the freezing mark so I'd keep expectations in check.

Yeah just saw the NAM's and they've been upping the snowfall each run, bringing the stalled front slightly further east every run. Don't think I'm going to get 5", but if the precip stalls in in a good place, Lehigh Valley *could* get up to 5". Precip will need to fall heavy enough to overcome surface temps around the freezing mark so I'd keep expectations in check.
Don't think that'll be a problem imo. Ground is frozen solid

52 minutes ago, anthonyweather said:

Don't think that'll be a problem imo. Ground is frozen solid

No doubt that the ground is frozen solid. It's cold out there. I'm just hesitant because I try to look at the negatives and weigh them against the positives. Only negatives, as of right now, is surface temps right around freezing and maybe snowfall rates being on the lower end. There's probably more negatives but to my novice mind those are the only ones. Hopefully some type of banding can form and bring rates up and ratios up as well. I agree that there may be more snow in store for the Lehigh Valley than currently predicted by the NWS. I'd call 2-4" with locally 6" lollis in the poconos.

1 hour ago, Newman said:

I agree that there may be more snow in store for the Lehigh Valley than currently predicted by the NWS. I'd call 2-4" with locally 6" lollis in the poconos.

Yeah. For my location, the latest snowfall map out of State College has me in the probable 4-6 range. http://www.weather.gov/ctp/winter

18 minutes ago, anthonyweather said:

Bout damn time.

:lol:   :snowing:   :snowman:

3 hours ago, Newman said:

I'm liking that 5" prediction:snowing:

Archived