SnowHabit
January 16-18 Threat

Ralph Wiggum

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3k doesn't do the rain dance

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

But compare last 3 runs of the 3k. Taking big jumps NW with the rain line later. Not saying Lehigh/Northampton will get majority rain at all. Just noting the trend shouldnt be ignored and will cut totals. Also appears slightly drier with overall qpf.

4 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:
14 minutes ago, anthonyweather said:
3k doesn't do the rain dance

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

But compare last 3 runs of the 3k. Taking big jumps NW with the rain line later. Not saying Lehigh/Northampton will get majority rain at all. Just noting the trend shouldnt be ignored and will cut totals. Also appears slightly drier with overall qpf.

Those trends have burned me in some past events all the way up here on the other side of the Blue Mountain, where we were expected to remain all snow, but the warm air got farther northwest than expected and we tainted. Not saying it'll happen with this one, but it does indeed happen. Last year's March storm was a prime example. Tamaqua was to remain all snow with totals approaching 30 inches, and it flipped to sleet for a time holding accumulations to 20 inches.

Those trends have burned me in some past events all the way up here on the other side of the Blue Mountain, where we were expected to remain all snow, but the warm air got farther northwest than expected and we tainted. Not saying it'll happen with this one, but it does indeed happen. Last year's March storm was a prime example. Tamaqua was to remain all snow with totals approaching 30 inches, and it flipped to sleet for a time holding accumulations to 20 inches.

Waa almost always goes farther N and W than modeled and by a decent amount too. Im pulling for the LV crew.....they deserve a good N and W of Philly thumping. Hopefully the seasonal trend of overachieving and things going favorably continue up that way. Im optimistic and havent changed my totals for now. Trends on guidance do have me nervous tho and shouldnt be overlooked and discarded as just noise. GL all!

The real story is how shockingly bad model performance is this season, days and days there was to be snow today from a front and only yesterday did they pickup the fact the front washes out before SEPA. Then there is this Miller b now to bring the snow..

NAM and RGEM tend to be too warm, GEM coming in is a snowstorm tonight N&W Philly burbs.

my expectations are set at a dusting in lower bucks after the 12z suite. An inch would be a pleasant surprise, 2 inches would be a miracle. I think this will be an overperformer N and W into the LV. Allentown and Reading may start warm but temps will crash quick up there and there should be plenty of precip left for a good thump. Hope you N and W guys get an over performer like us down here have gotten all year long.

6 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

my expectations are set at a dusting in lower bucks after the 12z suite. An inch would be a pleasant surprise, 2 inches would be a miracle. I think this will be an overperformer N and W into the LV. Allentown and Reading may start warm but temps will crash quick up there and there should be plenty of precip left for a good thump. Hope you N and W guys get an over performer like us down here have gotten all year long.

Yeah I'm practically right on the line where a good snowfall could happen or a mediocre one. For some reason I'm pessimistic about this storm due to the temperature profiles and the current radar look with precip still to my west, but I'm just hoping for 2-4". 

10 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

It's looking good. Waiting for the slow sag SE.B)

10 minutes ago, Newman said:

Yeah I'm practically right on the line where a good snowfall could happen or a mediocre one. For some reason I'm pessimistic about this storm due to the temperature profiles and the current radar look with precip still to my west, but I'm just hoping for 2-4". 

Yeah I'm hopeful for 4" out here a few miles looks to make a big difference, we got about an inch this morning at home and just a dusting in Boyertown 

3 minutes ago, penndotguy said:

Yeah I'm hopeful for 4" out here a few miles looks to make a big difference, we got about an inch this morning at home and just a dusting in Boyertown 

About 1/4 to 1/2" here in eastern Berks this morning. Jealous of the central PA folk who have had that slug of moisture stalled over them all afternoon, albeit it looks fairly light on radar. That precip is starting to make its way into Berks.

6 minutes ago, RedSky said:

We can never trust miller B's

GFS has less snow in the Northeast and more in NC/VA from last run. When it comes to the south getting snow, I will ALWAYS sit out a storm for them to get theirs. Not saying this one is theirs, but I love when the southern states get snow. Either way, this was never SE PA's storm to begin with and models are trending back to what they had like 2-3 days ago (not much snow). I'll enjoy my 3 inches which will make it my 2nd biggest storm to date.

Here is the 21z RAP:

RAPNE_prec_snow_021.png.7f4d030b28d74713a6f00ae59e340f6a.png

I really don't know what to think of this storm right now. Many models show one thing while others show another. However, I'm not as optimistic as I was this morning. Don't like how radar looks as of right now and it seems we seem to be in the screw hole between the stalled front and the developing coastal enhancement. Hoping things push in soon enough.

Archived