Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 14-15th Clipper System

HillsdaleMIWeather

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

From the back window looks like about a half inch so far.  Radar and HRRR trends look like my 2-2.5" call will bust high.

That's what I'm saying. Just seems like totals aren't going to verify in a lot of areas. I think the Chicago folks and eastern WI folks will do best as the snow pivots there as low passes by. Further south and west seems like after this next band goes through that's it and it's moving quick 

8 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

That's what I'm saying. Just seems like totals aren't going to verify in a lot of areas. I think the Chicago folks and eastern WI folks will do best as the snow pivots there as low passes by. Further south and west seems like after this next band goes through that's it and it's moving quick 

It seems models like east of I-55 for 2"+ anything west of that is mostly 1-1.5"

Just now, Central Illinois said:

Seems like models like east of I-55 for 2"+ anything west of that is mostly 1-1.5"

Yea seems like that first wave is expanding and overperforming and this 2nd wave the supposed bigger event isn't looking as long lasting or as expansive as before for the areas you discussed. Maybe we will see it expand or fill in more as that vort approaches

10 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

The SE MI snowmagnet appears to be in the shop, so i hope it is fixed quickly. Surface reflection shows a very widespread coverage of light snow throughout the Great Lakes but qpf definitely lessens the farther east in MI you go. At this point I am expecting a very long duration 2-inch grinder snow here. Since Dec 7th only 4 days have had no snow on the ground, but at this time with sublimation we basically only have a heavy dusting on the grass now. So I will not complain about a grinder powder event. Lake effect unknowns on Tuesday are in play as well.

No it isn't.. It has been safely hidden and locked away... Nobody is finding it! :devilsmiley:

2-4 Looks good around here but always the chance the lake does it thing and add's more..

7 minutes ago, tuanis said:

Getting some banding going now with impressive dendrites. Bout time!

Yep, I was just about to say it's finally looking like a snowstorm out there in the QC! Big flakes and the wind is whipping them around real nice, along with the blowing powdery snow from earlier! Nice scene out the window late tonight.

58 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

3-6" looks on track still for around here.

Wild card still being how much LE gets involved for NE. IL tomorrow evening on into Tue. GGEM goes big with final totals of ~12" near downtown, while the NAM is much more tame.

The NMM and ARW are rolling in now and keep the heart of the band generally offshore of IL, so it looks like it's the GEM (and RGEM) alone at this point with that more bullish/westward placement.

Quite difficult to get a good measurement with the wind whipping the dry/powdery snow around tonight.  I came up with an average of 1.1" a little while ago.  DVN and MLI both just came in with 0.7".  The enhanced bands the past hour or so brought very nice dendrites, but overall intensity remained light as it lacked the smaller flakes that would normally be mixed in to reduce visibility.  As Chicago WX said earlier it's nice to see the ground whiten up again at least.

No wind here, so it's easy to measure.  Unfortunately, this system underperformed a bit.  I finished with 1.5 inches from 0.10" liquid.  The models had it right a day or two ago before they started getting wetter.

Update:  I went out to measure just in time.  The front just passed through with a big wind gust.

Going to come in right around 3" for this event, so not too bad. Theme of the winter...ratios again were a disappointment here. Funny thing is, the last gasp snows this morning are producing nice dendrites...finally, lol. What could have been I guess. :lol: But I'll repeat, nice to see the landscape all covered in snow again. :D

Via CoCoRaHS, 5.0" in Somonauk IL (DeKalb) the winner so far.

Through 6:00 AM for the official sites in the LOT CWA: 1.8" storm total at ORD...1.9" at MDW...2.9" at RFD...3.0" at LOT

Snowing pretty hard here at the moment with big flakes. Very nice finish to the event. :D

Archived