Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 12-14 Kitchen Sink Storm Discussion

ORH_wxman

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Precip def raced out really fast. If we held onto it a bit longer I think this had potential to be pretty nasty but luckily it is drying out. 

No sir..Kevin says More is coming in from the SW lol.  He’ll be seeing freezing rain soon he thinks.  

Precip always races out very fast in these set ups it seems.  I wasn’t expecting any freezing precip due to that likelihood alone.  Figured the precip would be over before the cold air got a chance to rush in.  

Abd the whole flash freeze idea rarely works out...I take that nonsense with a grain of salt whenever I see that in these set ups. 

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It's basically a cold front. Earlier runs had the cold sliding from the north and from the west. By yesterday it looked like a typical fropa. 

Yeah it trended more and more into a stacked cold front without much sfc lead. Also when the drain was more out of the north it is better for low level moisture. As recently as a couple days ago there was a pretty good signal for FZDZ for a while after FROPA. Started trending against that but even yesterday it was still showing at least some potential for maybe like 2-3 hours of good LL moisture still around after temps dropped below freezing....flash freezes are always fickle...a couple hours can make a huge difference. It's def harder to get them the further east you are since moisture dries out quicker but I still was looking at potential over the interior yesterday...though admittedly the trend was negative for it. Obviously the most ideal setups are NE winds or n winds. Like in the cold tuck before Xmas. That was textbook for eastern areas. 

20 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

No sir..Kevin says More is coming in from the SW lol.  He’ll be seeing freezing rain soon he thinks.  

Precip always races out very fast in these set ups it seems.  I wasn’t expecting any freezing precip due to that likelihood alone.  Figured the precip would be over before the cold air got a chance to rush in.  

Abd the whole flash freeze idea rarely works out...I take that nonsense with a grain of salt whenever I see that in these set ups. 

Flash freezes are like big wind events here, they never pan out. 

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Impressive to see BTV down to 1/8 visibility with +SN.  I still can't believe it was in the 60s like 16 hours ago.

KBTV 131313Z 34014KT 1/8SM R15/2000V3000FT +SN BLSN FZFG

WUNIDS_map.gif.05a3a6239d5f387d332d3dcfd5dd9566.gif

I can definitely confirm the 1/8 at times. Finally a good low vis event :) I have only seen it lower in squalls and during Pi-Day

2 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

What a front. Trees roaring flash freeze up here. Make sure you can open close car doors, windows, keys etc.

Untitled.png

I had to put hot water in a pitcher and pour it on my windows and locks this morning to get into the car.  A solid glaze of freezing rain on everything and an ice scraper wasn't going to do it.  

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Not gonna lie it's a pretty exciting weather morning... some legit winter storm conditions out there even if just for a few hours.  

Wish I could send it to rotate through everyone.  

It kind of takes some of the sting away from friday anyways.

17 hours ago, dendrite said:

Adoption maybe?

I suppose. Just sounds like an odd way to say it.
maybe not even human.

...But I digress. 

Complete and total washout overnight.  Just large, piles from the plowing.  I can't believe how quickly it all went away, and for so many, even so much loss up north.  Funny that I am not bummed out about losing the snow as I have been in the past.  Mabybe because I am older and wiser (although probably not).  But, after having a pretty good December (especailly the Christmas day special) and first week of this month I am pretty satisfied with the way this winter has been going so far. Most years some kind of thaw or 2 is inevitable.  I am at the B+/A- range thus far this season.

Of course my tune will change if we don't truly reload / and or end up with a good ole fashioned winter-crap fest over the next 2 or so months. 

Archived