January 12-14 Kitchen Sink Storm Discussion

ORH_wxman

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Cold Miser said:

That is pretty awesome. 
Thanks.

Could be a couple hours later on all those times if the Euro is right...but 12z NAM was pretty quick with the front. The trend has been to speed it up a bit...but either way, should be quite a change from early morning to lunch time/early afternoon. Don't think they'll be much frozen precip though for SNE...Berkshires prob the most favored...we will likely see a bit of freezing drizzle or freezing rain.

4 minutes ago, MBRI said:

Was nice to see the cold hang tough in Warren NH,  34-35  in the afternoon yesterday.   The pack was intact.

Today  lots of slush and its going quick. 42 now up on the hill.

IMG_1572.jpg

IMG_1573.jpg

IMG_1574.jpg

IMG_1575.jpg

what a great spot!  get a lot of upslope there?  I'm not familiar with that area, but looks like west side of whites and good upslope?

16 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Incredible fog in the valley today.   There are stretches of I-91 where visibility is under 1/8mi.

I missed my left turn this morning and went right through the intersection and stop sign to the road across my street. I have’t driven in fog that bad since I was at LSC in the 90s. 

Banter, but I remember one massive melt event maybe ten or fifteen years ago where the freeze came through about 5pm and it was fairly entertaining to watch.  Rain to wind driven sleet and everything iced over in maybe ten minutes.  I really don't like the warm and if we have to have one dropping the hammer at the end is the only way to go in my opinion.  

56 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Could be a couple hours later on all those times if the Euro is right...but 12z NAM was pretty quick with the front. The trend has been to speed it up a bit...but either way, should be quite a change from early morning to lunch time/early afternoon. Don't think they'll be much frozen precip though for SNE...Berkshires prob the most favored...we will likely see a bit of freezing drizzle or freezing rain.

I know that this situation is no where near this, but do you know it it is true that there was a temperature change (warm to cold) so drastic that cattle died from it? 

20 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

There is a lot of ice on most ponds and lakes so probably but bring a chisel to check.   I would wait until Monday though.

Only upside to this is I have a rink cleared off and it is gonna be awesome come Sunday morning. With this rise in water levels may need a plank to get on until the edges freeze back up by Monday. Tons of ice though, lakes will be fine around here anyway. 

2 minutes ago, TheCloser24 said:

One of the greatest flash freezes: March 8, 2005

Yeah that's kind of the gold standard for recent times around here...this wont be like that though since that one also accompanied blizzard conditions.

Another variable that could make this less extreme is that we're drying out fairly quickly once the front comes through...but that first couple hours looks to have moisture still hanging back so that is the key...just how quickly do we dry out? Any moisture will just freeze solid. Typically in a strong frontal passage, the low levels dry out before the really cold air filters in so you end up evaporating most of the standing moisture...only larger puddles and such end up re-freezing. But if we are holding onto the low level moisture for the first couple hours tomorrow, then everything could become a glaze pretty fast. That's the big question...right now it looks like we may have low level moisture hanging on for the first couple hours, so the flash freeze threat is definitely there.

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

You know it's a bad cutter torch when dendrite is ripping +RA in the 50s and not rotting with drizzle and 34F....and this one has another 12-18 hours to go.

I wish the ground would thaw out faster so we could drain some of this rain and snow melt into it. There was a good 3-4" of liquid in the pack.

Archived