Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 12-14 Kitchen Sink Storm Discussion

ORH_wxman

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, PeabodyFlood said:

The mayor sent out robocalls today saying that the city is doing its best to prepare for expected flooding. They don’t usually do that, so he at least seems to think this storm will produce for us locally. 

No offense to the mayor but I highly doubt he personally is sitting there at his computer eagerly waiting for the next NAM run on TT. I'm sure he just gets all his information from his OEM people who in turn get their info from the NWS or something. 

This front is going to be incredible.

Some of this guidance like the HRRR and 2.5km RGEM or whatever that thing is called have like 20F drops within an hour.

BTV goes from 59F to 40F to 30F in like 2 hours, and then is the teens not long after that.  From tropical rain to freezing rain and sleet in a very short period of time.

But should be fun watching this slowly move across New England and trying to find the largest difference from NW to SE... teens to 60s?

hrdps_t2m_neng_28.thumb.png.cb523b8c019e48d162ede9312994ae8d.png

6 minutes ago, Yukon Cornelius said:

At least I'll be able to get all of the exterior xmas lights cleaned up tomorrow...maybe even by the end of the day today at this rate

I was thinking the same.  Fog was brutal driving into work today.      I can hear the snowflakes melting

Crazy that by 5PM Saturday it will be near 10F

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

This front is going to be incredible.

Some of this guidance like the HRRR and 2.5km RGEM or whatever that thing is called have like 20F drops within an hour.

BTV goes from 59F to 40F to 30F in like 2 hours, and then is the teens not long after that.  From tropical rain to freezing rain and sleet in a very short period of time.

But should be fun watching this slowly move across New England and trying to find the largest difference from NW to SE... teens to 60s?

hrdps_t2m_neng_28.thumb.png.cb523b8c019e48d162ede9312994ae8d.png

north bay from +6C to -13C in 4 hours!! currently SN- and blowing snow.....next up will be pembroke ON, and then ottawa ON and we track towards us...........temps are crazy warm currently, i knew it was going to be warmer than anticipated with the persistent flow despite the deep snowpack, even ottawa is up to +11C (they forecast 7C)...........its going to be an epic evening and overnight in these parts with the N winds crashing down the CPV, i feel very well positioned in far NW vermont....spring to deep winter

flash freezes are my favorite winter event, and always such high impact

Some melt at home but really it it more compaction than anything else.  Other than the crust from the 23rd, the pack was made up of very fluffy, low moisture snow which had not spent any time at or even near freezing.  It is compacted a fair bit over night- warm air causing the shrinkage for a change.  At least for me, the water will still mostly be in the pack, just glaciated.  I did have some pavement showing on the driveway at last however.  I am hoping that gets mostly cleared up before the refreeze,.

4 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

What is the timeline of the font moving from northwest to south east...picking to arbitrary towns...Starting in lets say, Williamstown, Ma in the far North-West of Mass, and crossing over through New Bedford, Ma, in the South East part of the state?

Front or when it actually freezes?

The front will move through but it may take an extra couple hours for the freeze to actually occur. It does look like a flash freeze though for many. We're prob talking Williamstown around 4am tomorrow...flash freeze around BDL at 7-8am...hits SE MA around 10-11am.

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Front or when it actually freezes?

The front will move through but it may take an extra couple hours for the freeze to actually occur. It does look like a flash freeze though for many. We're prob talking Williamstown around 4am tomorrow...flash freeze around BDL at 7-8am...hits SE MA around 10-11am.

That is pretty awesome. 
Thanks.

Archived