Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 12-14 Kitchen Sink Storm Discussion

ORH_wxman

11 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Those surface temps on the nam are real cold.

Surface temps north of the front have always been modeled as frigid.

Its like tickling the teens at the surface before 850 goes below freezing.

12z GFS SAT morning had 57F at ORH and 13F here at MVL.  That's insane.

IMG_8098.thumb.PNG.c995ab9c0dd3f3812e09ad1285d1af8f.PNG

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The wave heading into Quebec Friday, which will partly be responsible for all the warmth through Friday seems to be trending stronger on all guidance. It's a catch-22 of sorts - warmth likely outperforms tomorrow and Friday, BUT the deeper this wave gets, the more UL height falls (surface canadian HP) we get on the backside, out ahead of our developing winter storm... 

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Surface temps north of the front have always been modeled as frigid.

Its like tickling the teens at the surface before 850 goes below freezing.

12z GFS SAT morning had 57F at ORH and 13F here at MVL.  That's insane.

IMG_8098.thumb.PNG.c995ab9c0dd3f3812e09ad1285d1af8f.PNG

That's a crazy sharp gradient on temps........lol

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

Provided the Nam is right.................:lol:

I'm starting to lean toward the colder solutions again...for the torch solutions, by now I would have wanted to see most of the guidance riding this into SYR/MSS or thereabouts. We've seen these ambiguous tracks over ALB and then to PWM....now we're starting to see it get squashed to SE MA and even SE of SNE on a few runs now.

Obviously it could still trend back amped...but usually this goes the other way with that type of ridiculous sfc cold and the two streams not wanting to phase.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

I'm starting to lean toward the colder solutions again...for the torch solutions, by now I would have wanted to see most of the guidance riding this into SYR/MSS or thereabouts. We've seen these ambiguous tracks over ALB and then to PWM....now we're starting to see it get squashed to SE MA and even SE of SNE on a few runs now.

Obviously it could still trend back amped...but usually this goes the other way with that type of ridiculous sfc cold and the two streams not wanting to phase.

Those are the keys right here that you mention, Thats what we have been wanting to see happen to at least head off the flooding rains for some areas, Keep both separate, And it seems that qpf is getting cut back as well in some areas.

11 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

Euro would put down a pretty good strip on the backside too from N VT through Jackman to Caribou 

That is something we want to see, Some decent back end snows, Seems like all the model runs today are keeping the second wave weaker with less of a phase an tracking further east allowing the colder air to filter in as the pv is asserting itself more as we get closer in.

13 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah I like a southerly solution too. 

I think a flash freeze south of the Pike is more likely than an "ice storm".

38 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It's like we were talking about the other day... they either go up towards MSS or head towards the ocean.  But the BGM-ALB-CON track is an outlier.

47 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Yeah I like a southerly solution too. 

I think a flash freeze south of the Pike is more likely than an "ice storm".

Could be really nasty Sat evening...looks like a lot of moisture is hanging back so wouldn't be surprised at freezing drizzle...maybe eventually a light snow dusting to top it off...but def not ideal for driving on untreated roads.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Could be really nasty Sat evening...looks like a lot of moisture is hanging back so wouldn't be surprised at freezing drizzle...maybe eventually a light snow dusting to top it off...but def not ideal for driving on untreated roads.

Rain will wash all the salt away too. 

Lack of QPF is really the inhibiting factor in the big ice scenario....the southern stream has weakened...so we're not seeing a lot of QPF fall as frozen on the cold side. It's generally under an inch. Maybe that changes, but it's mostly below the threshold of damaging ice IMHO.

Archived