Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 12-14 Kitchen Sink Storm Discussion

ORH_wxman

2 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Not much we can do about it, free place to stay so we are heading north to MWV regardless of forecast.  I suspect I will spend some of my lift ticket $ at the Moat Pub & Brewery and be fine with it. Hopefully this trends better and we get the kids and adults up on he slopes at least one day. 

Get the brisket, It's excellent, and the beer is top notch also.

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The BTV discussion was not exactly what I was hoping to read. Could be a lot of power outages and damage:

Combination of isentropic ascent and frontogenetic forcing
across the low-level frontal zone appears potentially
significant per 12Z guidance suite, with warm layer aloft likely
remaining in place across the Champlain Valley and points ewd.
Better potential for snow/sleet across the St. Lawrence Valley,
where vertical profiles should be colder. QPF amts are
impressive...generally 1.5- 2" liquid equivalent in the 12z GFS,
and 1-1.5" per ECMWF. Could see significant travel impacts
Friday night and Saturday as a result. While it is hard to
pinpoint the location, axis of freezing rain bisecting the
forecast area could bring significant ice accumulations, perhaps
exceeding 0.5" ice

2 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Not much we can do about it, free place to stay so we are heading north to MWV regardless of forecast.  I suspect I will spend some of my lift ticket $ at the Moat Pub & Brewery and be fine with it. Hopefully this trends better and we get the kids and adults up on he slopes at least one day. 

I hit that place every time I hike Mt. Washington. Nothing like BBQ and beer after a long hike. That place also has the only blueberry beer I've ever liked. Hope the weather cooperates for you guys.

1 minute ago, CT Rain said:

Kevin's snowpack will look like a thin slice of swiss cheese come Saturday morning. 

We've all heard the famous saying: guys who brag about their endowment in presidential debates are usually the guys with the smallest endowment. It's safe to say tolland will not have a bigly snowpack this weekend. Sad!

I've sadly accepted my snowpack is Done by Monday.  VERY Sad.  Wish this storm came at the Beginning of the Historic Cold Stretch.  But I must say the piles around RI look like a 20"-22" Snowstorm him.  Not a 13"-16" one.  No idea why.  Dangerous intersections and off / on ramps everywhere.  The GFS gives us something to watch for next Wednesday, and then the 1/20-1/25 timeframe.  But I still believe in Ray's prediction of the whole middle of Winter being total blah.  

ALSO: If anyone is interested in a Patriots ticket Saturday, Do Tell Me.  

That's def pretty cold. Sfc is rapidly cooling too at that moment and it's being drained southeast. Actually looks pretty sleety for CNE in the 84H panel with 850s near 0C. Haven't looked at soundings though. They don't really matter on the clown range NAM solutions. 

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

That's def pretty cold. Sfc is rapidly cooling too at that moment and it's being drained southeast. Actually looks pretty sleety for CNE in the 84H panel with 850s near 0C. Haven't looked at soundings though. They don't really matter on the clown range NAM solutions. 

That's the coldest run of any model so far, It also had that second wave pretty far to the SE, But its clown range, So taken fwiw.

59 minutes ago, TheSnowman said:

I've sadly accepted my snowpack is Done by Monday.  VERY Sad.  Wish this storm came at the Beginning of the Historic Cold Stretch.  But I must say the piles around RI look like a 20"-22" Snowstorm him.  Not a 13"-16" one.  No idea why.  Dangerous intersections and off / on ramps everywhere.  The GFS gives us something to watch for next Wednesday, and then the 1/20-1/25 timeframe.  But I still believe in Ray's prediction of the whole middle of Winter being total blah.  

ALSO: If anyone is interested in a Patriots ticket Saturday, Do Tell Me.  

Even in a bad pattern, all you need is one oasis of PNA in a sea of $hit...especially in the middle of winter. Doesn't have to be snowless...but I'd tred with caution on big snows for now. 

Archived