Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Jan. 12-13, 2018 winter storm Nowcast and Forecast

nrgjeff

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, dwagner88 said:

I'm in Nashville at my in-laws for the weekend. Obviously I've chased off any chances of major snow in the area, but the roads around here are getting pretty slippery. Everything is coated with a light dusting of white on top of a glaze of freezing rain. Not enough to measure.

If you want to see decent snow just make a 30 minute trip to White House Tennessee tomorrow. Got probably close to 3 inches on the ground. We almost always do way better then Nashville due to being further north but also elevation is a big factor. Anyways it’s not far if you want to see a good snow.

MRX updated a few minutes ago and upped my forecast totals from near and inch to 1-3 inches. I don't see it by looking at the radar but I'm going to hope and see what happens. 
I noticed the latest surface map show the center of pressure located just across the apps from the Johnson City area. Maybe delays it lifting out and allows a couple more bands to flow through before racing NE.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

51 minutes ago, Olhausen said:

If you want to see decent snow just make a 30 minute trip to White House Tennessee tomorrow. Got probably close to 3 inches on the ground. We almost always do way better then Nashville due to being further north but also elevation is a big factor. Anyways it’s not far if you want to see a good snow.

Nice, I figured you'd do pretty well.  White House and Portland typically outscored Gallatin growing up, when it came to snow.....  going up on the hill has its benefits!

Light snow falling this morning here at my place.  Finished up with close to 3-1/2 to 4 inches of snow, and about 1 to 1 1/2inch of sleet.  Great storm overall for MBY.  I hate that everyone wasn't as fortunate.  It's much more fun when everybody gets involved and starts posting OBS.  I am cautiously optimistic that Tuesday will be a good wintry day for the Tennessee forum.  

12 hours ago, Olhausen said:

That's awesome!!  I wish I could post the video I took yesterday.  I'm not joking guys, the flakes for about the first hour of heavy snow were huge.  They were 2 inches long by 1 1/2 inch wide.  I've never in my life seen flakes that big.  You could literally hear the snow as it hit the ground from the flakes being so heavy.  I picked up 1 and 1/2 inches in just that first hour.

15 minutes ago, *Flash* said:

Yeah, we weren’t as lucky but overnight snow showers got us up to about 1.25” with that freezing rain layer underneath. Hoping for better things Monday night. Assuming we don’t have upper level convergence issues in play, we shouldn’t have to worry about dry slotting again.

I'm glad you guys got over the dreaded 1" hump then.  I'm sure you and your Son had a blast playing out in it too.  I with you on Monday night too, fingers crossed.

32 minutes ago, *Flash* said:

Yeah... the inch hump felt nice. Once you cross that threshold, it’s not so hard to engage most outdoor snow activities. Also, this is going to sound super vain, but I’m doing a late November mow next winter so if all we get is an inch, it will look like a lot more...lol. 

Glad you got an inch!  It was painful watching areas just west and northwest doing so much better...  I was really cheering you on over here to get thumped.

Yeah... the inch hump felt nice. Once you cross that threshold, it’s not so hard to engage most outdoor snow activities. Also, this is going to sound super vain, but I’m doing a late November mow next winter so if all we get is an inch, it will look like a lot more...lol. 

Not vain at all. I do it every year!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, *Flash* said:

This is so funny you mentioned this because I started doing it about 4-5 years ago when I realized it looks so much better when you don’t have grass sticking out of the snow. I usually do it with our last 70 degree temps in mid November.

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic

Archived