• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Weather Station

BornAgain13

Anything Davis is quality. I've had my Vantage Pro 2 since 2012 and I haven't had to replace a single part and it has only required minimum maintenance. What I've learned with weather stations is you get what you pay for and you might as well get something good the first time around.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2018 at 12:50 PM, calculus1 said:

I love the Davis Vantage Vue.  Had it for over ten years now and just updated the outside sensor set.

https://www.davisnet.com/solution/vantage-vue/

That's what I have.... You said you just updated the outside part, did it quit working? Also was wondering where you have yours mounted and what height?  Just wanted to see if I had mine in a good spot or not? Mine in direct sunlight shows temps much warmer than they are, that's the only thing I have a problem with? Maybe you got a suggestion for me!!! Probably had mine 5-6 years

29 minutes ago, BIG FROSTY said:

That's what I have.... You said you just updated the outside part, did it quit working? Also was wondering where you have yours mounted and what height?  Just wanted to see if I had mine in a good spot or not? Mine in direct sunlight shows temps much warmer than they are, that's the only thing I have a problem with? Maybe you got a suggestion for me!!! Probably had mine 5-6 years

I`ve got mine on the roof (30 ft.) With all the trees it a as one of the only places to get good wind readings. Been up there three years now. I have other temp sensors at ground level.

With the Vantage Vue you have to make some compromises. Mine is mounted off my deck. Thus, it's more than 6 feet off the ground (probably 15), but I wanted to be able to get some semblance of wind readings.

After ten years, the solar panels had gone bad. I was having to replace the battery about once a month. In addition, the humidity sensor was going bad. I had days at a time where it would read the dewpoint as a constant 1.

I was able to replace the outside sensor suite for around $170 through Amazon. The inside receiver has no issues and picked right up with the new outside unit. If I had had an extra $500, I would have gone for the Pro V2, but I couldn't justify the expense. I have been very happy overall with my Davis Vantage Vues.

Sent from my Alcatel 6055U using Tapatalk

Oh, and Frosty, maybe you should clean the radiation shields on the temperature gauge. I've been very happy with the new unit's temperature readings (also in full sun), but I thought the old one was reading a little high. I would clean the shields periodically on the old one to make sure I could get the most accurate readings.

I have a fully functional and gently used Davis vantage pro 2, with all the extras that were optional at the time.  Been in a box about 2 years.  Built a new home and can't get around the HOA restrictions to deploy it again.  If interested I'd make you a good deal on it.  Just let me know and like others said, anything Davis is high quality.

23 hours ago, calculus1 said:

Oh, and Frosty, maybe you should clean the radiation shields on the temperature gauge. I've been very happy with the new unit's temperature readings (also in full sun), but I thought the old one was reading a little high. I would clean the shields periodically on the old one to make sure I could get the most accurate readings.

Thanks for all the info, I have mine mounted to a mast pole in the back yard about 5 ft. high. I'm thinking I read or heard that temps should be taken 5 ft. above ground (not 100% sure though) but for some reason I had that on my mind... But the wind reading has never been right, maybe I have it mounted to low?? But like you said I really like mine also, it's been a good one. I would like to just get it where all my sensor were reading correctly!! (wind)? 

On 1/20/2018 at 8:52 AM, frazdaddy said:

I`ve got mine on the roof (30 ft.) With all the trees it a as one of the only places to get good wind readings. Been up there three years now. I have other temp sensors at ground level.

That might be what I need to do, so I can get a good wind reading!!! Thanks for the info!

Archived