Newest Member
    joxey
January 11-13 Winter Storm

Hoosier

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Stebo said:

Yeah the last 4 runs have something like that, it is overdone though with the wind being 25mph gusting to 40-45. Which btw this would be a bonafide blizzard for most of the snow area.

Yeah those winds would tend to hurt ratios a bit.  Nonetheless, a legit 2+ foot swath on multiple Euro runs is pretty impressive.

1 minute ago, Angrysummons said:

lol, that reminds me of a run the ECMWF had during the 72-96 hour timeframe with a upper midwest storm back in December 2009 where it bombed a 960mb bomb over Wisconsin. Same exact timeframe. It relaxed in later runs lol.

This is showing those amounts with much weaker SLP and different tracks, this is driven by massive amounts of moisture coming north, not uber dynamics, though dynamics would definitely be in play here. ecmwf_pwat_slp_detroit_18.thumb.png.0f480f42f9bfc20c4ce1c52846788928.png

Quite a Euro run, wow. Icing concerns Thursday night/Friday morning in southeast half of my CWA to a blizzard/near blizzard later Friday into Saturday for the same areas. High impact storm for a lot of people and keeps us in the tracking game in northern Illinois.

For my own perspective as a snow lover, need this to come back farther west even. This is giving off vibes of 2/24/16 and I want no part of that lol.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

Quite a Euro run, wow. Icing concerns Thursday night/Friday morning in southeast half of my CWA to a blizzard/near blizzard later Friday into Saturday for the same areas. High impact storm for a lot of people and keeps us in the tracking game in northern Illinois.

For my own perspective as a snow lover, need this to come back farther west even. This is giving off vibes of 2/24/16 and I want no part of that lol.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Yeah, there's an overlap area there that gets some ice followed by the massive dump of snow.  Even what would normally seem like modest amounts of ice could have an exaggerated impact with the kind of winds that the Euro is suggesting.  

Just now, Hoosier said:

Yeah, there's an overlap area there that gets some ice followed by the massive dump of snow.  Even what would normally seem like modest amounts of ice could have an exaggerated impact with the kind of winds that the Euro is suggesting.  

Most of those areas actually get .1-.3" of ice, though I feel this might be overdone and this might be a straight rain to snow type event, for the most part as the front shifts east. Once it stalls though someone will get a bad ice storm with this one.

2 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Most of those areas actually get .1-.3" of ice, though I feel this might be overdone and this might be a straight rain to snow type event, for the most part as the front shifts east. Once it stalls though someone will get a bad ice storm with this one.

Any particular reason why you feel it's more of a rain to snow transition?

5 minutes ago, blackrock said:

It seems more common to get ice when you have warm air overriding a layer of cold air. This will be dense cold air pushing in, which seems to favor a quick changeover.

Yeah the cold layer is deep plunging in from the northwest. Only when the front stalls out do issues really arise.

2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

The 850 mb front is modeled to lag the surface front by quite a bit though, so that icy/sleety transition zone doesn't seem that unlikely to me.  Just my 2 cents.

Initially back further southwest, I was looking more locally across the tri state area. The ice zone is much smaller this way, as the 850mb front surges east quicker up here compared to IL/MO.

Archived