Newest Member
    joxey
January 11-13 Winter Storm

Hoosier

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

Doesn't feel as bad to me for whatever reason. I've grown sort of numb to it.

Same here. As a lifelong Torontonian, I have grown accustomed to busts and the odd pleasant surprise (April 11, 1999, Feb 8, 2001 and March 5, 2001).

Back to this upcoming “event”, I’m not expecting anything major and if things somehow improve, it’ll be 2 to 3” at best for the GTA.

Just now, zinski1990 said:

just cant believe how bad these models are 2018 and we just manage this lack of consistency this close to a storm is pathetic

To be honest this is the thing that really needs to be looked at. I mean we were within 96 hours and had massive waffling. Hell it is still going backwards in some capacities that some of the watches issued will need to be reduced potentially significantly.

3 minutes ago, Stebo said:

To be honest this is the thing that really needs to be looked at. I mean we were within 96 hours and had massive waffling. Hell it is still going backwards in some capacities that some of the watches issued will need to be reduced potentially significantly.

As Ohio pointed out earlier in the thread there were 3 shortwaves coming together during this storm that caused the storm to be more amped. It looks like it just misses the the phase almost completely or farther east. Tough one for models to get until the last moment I guess? I was always worried about suppression with these types of setups. A coastal takeover the original low is more likely to go farther NW then modeled. This one however is more likely to be suppressed. 

7 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

As Ohio pointed out earlier in the thread there were 3 shortwaves coming together during this storm that caused the storm to be more amped. It looks like it just misses the the phase almost completely or farther east. Tough one for models to get until the last moment I guess? I was always worried about suppression with these types of setups. A coastal takeover the original low is more likely to go farther NW then modeled. This one however is more likely to be suppressed. 

Oh it is a complicated pattern but I also think the models aren't helping themselves. I don't know if maybe things are too detailed now and every little bird fart and gust of wind is getting magnified these days. To the point that there is actually too much going on in the models and you have runaway chaos. Honestly I don't know though, this one is above my pay grade.

49 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

I think we got slapped in the face last March too, lol. 

It's not winter without being let down couple times. 

Last March was a big slap for Toronto, Hamilton managed to get saved by very efficient lake enhancement plus an initial lake snake. Was one of the more impressive snow gradients I've seen. 

2 minutes ago, YHM Supercell said:

Last March was a big slap for Toronto, Hamilton managed to get saved by very efficient lake enhancement plus an initial lake snake. Was one of the more impressive snow gradients I've seen. 

Don't even get me started on that. It was the biggest slap in the face since the Feb 09 event. This is no exception now. We've grown accustomed to it. Question is, will this be the 4th winter in a row where YYZ fails to reach average? <_<

3 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

Don't even get me started on that. It was the biggest slap in the face since the Feb 09 event. This is no exception now. We've grown accustomed to it. Question is, will this be the 4th winter in a row where YYZ fails to reach average? <_<

Was hoping we'd manage down here with this, we usually do better with these gradient snow setups. Looking like a loss even for here. Might be salvageable in eastern Niagara region. 

Last year was pitiful with exception of the March 14th event. This year started with lots of nickel and dime events, but we need something substantial and alas our chances for this event are pretty well whiffed. 

2 minutes ago, YHM Supercell said:

Was hoping we'd manage down here with this, we usually do better with these gradient snow setups. Looking like a loss even for here. Might be salvageable in eastern Niagara region. 

Last year was pitiful with exception of the March 14th event. This year started with lots of nickel and dime events, but we need something substantial and alas our chances for this event are pretty well whiffed. 

I think Buffalo got 20-25" from that one. One of the biggest synoptic events here. 

5 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I think Buffalo got 20-25" from that one. One of the biggest synoptic events here. 

Was very impressive. Initial rates on the lake effect band in NE flow were some of the most impressive I've seen. Escarpment upsloping also played a significant role in totals across our area here. Almost a reversal of the Tug Hill area. (To a much less extent) 

17439578_10154619192808983_1212130024_n.jpg

Archived