Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 11-13 Winter Storm

Hoosier

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, snowstormcanuck said:

I was walking to work this morning when the front passed. It was pretty cool. The winds rapidly picked up, the fog that was in placed rolled out to the east with the front (there was this valley to my west that was mired in fog and almost instantly became visible) and you could feel the nip against your skin as the temps tumbled 4-5 degrees.

One of the stronger fropa's I can remember.

Yes, that front was something else. I'm glad we at least got a dusting of snow out of this.  By the way, tried to send you a PM, but it says you can't receive messages?

3 hours ago, buckeye said:

Pondo where r u?

yea man... i miss the good old days where it was just one forum and we fought over one storm lol....i ususally try to come in and troll you when there is an ohio valley storm...but i havent talked to you in like 3 years! Good to see your still chasing the weenie dream

3 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

What a garbage storm. By far the worst of the winter. Definitely p*ssed. We got 0.6" of snow atop a sheet and I mean a sheet of ice. I scraped what I could off the driveway and threw some salt down but theres only so much you can do. I imagine slips and falls on walkways will be plentiful. Looks like winter again but considering we had 6+ inches of snow on the ground most of the time since mid-Dec, I am not happy one bit. Wouldnt be so mad if it wasnt for losing a healthy snowpack due to 2 useless days of tropical dewpoints. This area is one of the last that should complain this winter, so I will leave it at that and give the complaint thread its first (and only) free pass of the winter. Clipper Monday looks good for a solid few inches of powder. We do clippers well here, so lets see. I have to work (took today off because of icy roads - what a waste of a day) but luckily traffic will be lighter than normal since its MLK day.

Wow, I'm not used to seeing you mad on here! Want to talk about losing a good snow pack? We had 16 INCHES of snowpack here at the beginning of the week. We lost almost ALL of it in 24 hours. Now just big piles and yards partially covered. 56 degree high, dews near 50, .85 inches of rain.... NOT amused.

Oh..and any "refresher snow" formed JUST southeast. Can't wait for the Clipper to cover up all the ugly snow.

Just took my dog out....brutal.   No idea how much but the wind has been just as much a factor as snow...,5 or 6 maybe still snowing and blowing.   My driveway is 80% clear and then one huge drift in front of garage.   Haven't seen a single snowplow all night roads vs. sidewalks indistinguishable.   Cold temps, high winds thru the whole storm and snow makes this the best storm (for me personally), since the biggie of March 08.. . I'm serious....I love these windy snowstorms, they're classic..  We haven't had a windy blowing and drifting storm in a very long time.  Amazingly a warning was never issued either.  I can't imagine what its like in rural areas. Looking forward,to tomorrow with all the wind.   This weenie is happy :)

1 minute ago, buckeye said:

Just took my dog out....brutal.   No idea how much but the wind has been just as much a factor as snow...,5 or 6 maybe still snowing and blowing.   My driveway is 80% clear and then one huge drift in front of garage.   Haven't seen a single snowplow all night roads vs. sidewalks indistinguishable.   Cold temps, high winds thru the whole storm and snow makes this the best storm (for me personally), since the biggie of March 08.. . I'm serious....I love these windy snowstorms, they're classic..  We haven't had a windy blowing and drifting storm in a very long time.  Amazingly a warning was never issued either.  I can't imagine what its like in rural areas. Looking forward,to tomorrow with all the wind.   This weenie is happy :)

Great to hear! That is awesome! :thumbsup:

My total was 4"..  No complaints other then the crappy roads around here..

8 minutes ago, buckeye said:

And as a cherry on top we are now in an absolutely epic band right now.  Absolutely pouring down snow.  What a storm!

7 hours ago, Angrysummons said:

Not enough snow fell and this is exactly what a advisory is for. Not strong enough for blizzard warnings either. It is what it is...........

Frankly, I don't get the big deal. This is about what was expected. A bunch of virga coupled with stronger bands once the snow started around 7. Very slow periods due to the poor formation. What could have been...........

It was strong enough for a  Warning! We received 6 inches of snow with very high winds...it was  snowing hard non stop four about 8 hrs...

7 hours ago, Angrysummons said:

Not enough snow fell and this is exactly what a advisory is for. Not strong enough for blizzard warnings either. It is what it is...........

Frankly, I don't get the big deal. This is about what was expected. A bunch of virga coupled with stronger bands once the snow started around 7. Very slow periods due to the poor formation. What could have been...........

What?  Lol.  I love the combination of wind and snow and once things changed over the wind never stopped.     The blizzard of '78 only gave columbus 7" of snow but was the most memorable disruptive storm in our history.  More so than storms that gave 2 or 3 times that much snow.  Maybe I'm just weird like that :wacko:

8 hours ago, Harry said:

Great to hear! That is awesome! :thumbsup:

My total was 4"..  No complaints other then the crappy roads around here..

Just goes to show you how everything is relative to expectations :P. I remember several storms this winter that you had similar amounts and were mad because more fell this side of the state. As I said total garbage storm here. Our 0.7" ties with 2 other events for the 9th largest snowfall this season lol. I would have taken what fell in OH in a heartbeat (and yes they certainly were due) because I never tire of snow. But for that ever present group of only wanting big storms, this storm was a joke compared to what was forecast by all models days ago. 3-6" with a band of 6-10". About 4 days ago the question was where will the 15-24" band set up? :lol:

6 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Just goes to show you how everything is relative to expectations :P. I remember several storms this winter that you had similar amounts and were mad because more fell this side of the state. As I said total garbage storm here, and I would have taken what fell in OH in a heartbeat (and yes they certainly were due) because I never tire of snow. But for that ever present group of only wanting big storms, this storm was a joke compared to what was forecast by all models days ago. 3-6" with a band of 6-10". About 4 days ago the question was where will the 15-24" band set up? :lol:

The 15-24" band set up in central New York. Reports of over 16" around the Rochester Metro area. 

2 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

The 15-24" band set up in central New York. Reports of over 16" around the Rochester Metro area. 

Once a final snow map comes out it will be easier to see, but there was no band stretching several states that was originally forecast by models. Not even close. Upstate NY (lake enhancement?) was to be the winner, that was clear yesterday. When I made that post that was after skimming pns statements from ILN, PIT, CLE, BUF. The highest report I saw anywhere was naturally in BUF and it was 10.6 at rochester.

Archived