Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 11-13 Winter Storm

Hoosier

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

Really?  That's way ahead of schedule right?  Just taking a quick glance at Euro precip maps it forecasts a changeover over to snow sometime between 12 and 3 pm.

That METAR has since been corrected to show rain.  Given 850 temps, I don't know how that would be possible.

Rain began freezing on surfaces here around 5 AM and slowly changed to sleet around 6:30. It was like someone flipped a switch at 8:30 when the sleet flipped to large dendrites, which are continuing. Had about 0.10" of ice, 0.3" of sleet and are now at over 1/2" of snow. BIG flakes. Love it.

And per my airport ASOS, it was the heaviest ever since I've been paying attention to it. This is the first time I've ever seen it register +SN which means it was actually more like ++SN 

Sadly, I'd left town to skate my way to the office, but it was bliz conditions around BC for the first 20 or so miles. Cars even on surface streets crawling at 25 mph due to the layer of ZR under the snow. WWA extended to 7 pm prolly shoulda been upgraded. GRR's Afd even said as much, yet they don't. What a bunch of chumps. Yet, they'll upgrade for 4" of fluff effect snow off the lake. 

20180112 KRMY morning +SN.PNG

Sleeting here just SE of Cleveland.  I've waved the white flag on my forecast from last night, this will be an east-central and SE Ohio jackpot into PA.  Northern stream shortwave behind the storm coming in a bit too quick and giving it a last minute shove east.  Egg on a lot of mets faces in Ohio.  One of the most frustrating storms I can remember.  Every model and most ensembles had a big storm with a lot of snow for a lot of OH/IN inside of 4 days.  So not sure what we could do, we can't ignore it at that point.  

57 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

And per my airport ASOS, it was the heaviest ever since I've been paying attention to it. This is the first time I've ever seen it register +SN which means it was actually more like ++SN 

Sadly, I'd left town to skate my way to the office, but it was bliz conditions around BC for the first 20 or so miles. Cars even on surface streets crawling at 25 mph due to the layer of ZR under the snow. WWA extended to 7 pm prolly shoulda been upgraded. GRR's Afd even said as much, yet they don't. What a bunch of chumps. Yet, they'll upgrade for 4" of fluff effect snow off the lake. 

20180112 KRMY morning +SN.PNG

Had blizzard like conditions here for about an hour before we got in between bands and reminded there unfortunately.  Briefly, it was the most intense snowfall of the season.   Looks to be over but the stiff North wind is blowing snow all over the place.  

Archived