Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 11-13 Winter Storm

Hoosier

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Well for the 2nd time this winter a useless thaw has ripped away a healthy snowpack to just piles. Looking like it could be an interesting morning tomorrow here in SE MI, we may salvage something yet.

I thought la Nina is Spanish for "snow and melt"

Brings back memories of a storm, (circa '94? maybe '95...january)... we had steady moderate to heavy sleet all day long, temps in the teens.   Then at nightfall it turned to a brief period of heavy rain and thunderstorms followed by freezing rain and a flash freeze.  The next day OSU students were skating on high st.     
For the record, an all day steady sleet storm yielded about 1.5" of sleet.   There is no greater waste of precip.
It's like having a hot sister

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, Ji said:

It's like having a hot sister

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

An oldie but a goodie.   I think you coined that phrase back in the wwb days.   When regions had no borders and a single forum was shared by all.  We all fought over the same storm and threads turned into raging dumpster fires.....

I miss those days

26 minutes ago, Ottawa Blizzard said:

Agreed. This storm was one that got away. There are plenty of storms in the sea, though.

Environment Canada seems to be calling for a chance of snow on Tuesday...

Just one of many disappointments. This was our best chance at any major accumulating snow as beyond a weak clipper, which may very well track SE of us and become another east coast special, there's nothing that intrigues me through Jan 22nd. Trash month. MJO moving through phases 3-4-5 means increased warmer risks, pacific jet extension, etc. This may mean more storms but also the risk of many cutters due to a tight gradient. 

Tired of the disappointments. 

Enjoy the storm guys! Especially Ohio.

38 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

Just one of many disappointments. This was our best chance at any major accumulating snow as beyond a weak clipper, which may very well track SE of us and become another east coast special, there's nothing that intrigues me through Jan 22nd. Trash month. MJO moving through phases 3-4-5 means increased warmer risks, pacific jet extension, etc. This may mean more storms but also the risk of many cutters due to a tight gradient. 

Tired of the disappointments. 

Enjoy the storm guys! Especially Ohio.

Better move or find another hobby then. Cause it ain't gonna get any better.

1 minute ago, Stebo said:

Interesting to see the HRRR have the low down south inching NW run to run for the last several runs. Certainly the snow band in this area is going to be in the area longer than originally expected. I guess the massive magnet in Wyandotte is on tonight.

No doubt. Just peeked at the 23z HRRR and it’s lolipoping 5-6” in and around the Ann Arbor region. Frontogenetic banding keeps getting more robust and expansive with each subsequent run. 

After an exhaustive review, some thoughts...

Temps are a bit warmer in the warm sector ahead of the front than modeled and also cool a bit quicker right behind the front. Heights are running a little higher ahead of the trough than 12z and 18z models had, though it's a small difference. The northern stream shortwave may be diving SE a bit less aggressively than modeled as well. This is supported by WV loops showing the southwestern vort max with the northern stream shortwave clearly diving in a bit behind the shortwave that becomes our storm as opposed to towards or ahead of it (which would tend to force the storm farther east). At the moment, the models appear to be perhaps a tad too far east with the developing surface low over western LA/AR, though it's messy right now and not well-defined. I also don't like that some models have the low moving ESE across AL/GA tomorrow despite the trough being slightly negatively tilted...not sure if they're jumping around due to a bit of convective feedback.

All in all, although there aren't huge differences these obs suggest the farther SE models may be incorrect. I ended up going a bit NW of the Euro for that reason. Keep in mind the GFS, UKMET, and some hi-res models (especially the ARW which is way overdone) have snow a good bit NW of the Euro, so it's not like there's no guidance support. It may ultimately come down to whether or not there's enough of a positive feedback with the developing cyclone tonight into tomorrow to force enough of a negative tilt to keep the low west of the Apps a little longer. Obs suggest it may occur and a lot of higher-res stuff shows it, but the models that are farther SE still create a good bit of uncertainty. Ultimately, here's my forecast snow/sleet.  Included 2-4" for far NW OH due to short-term models showing a beefier fgen band in that area late morning into the afternoon, and this does extrapolate towards Detroit and Fort Wayne too.

5a58053b341ce_1-12snownobanner.png.51a3251af30f195792f2b7dc1107f665.png 

Archived