SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 11-13 Winter Storm

Hoosier

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The run to run model shifts with this setup have been quite significant, shows how sensitive it is to small changes in initial conditions that get carried out through the runs. Seems pretty likely that we're out of the game out this way barring a huge change but for areas east of here that we're in the prime big dog threat zone until tonight's 00z runs, there's still room for this to come back. The secondary Pacific wave being sampled tomorrow should finally clear up how this is gonna go.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

The run to run model shifts with this setup have been quite significant, shows how sensitive it is to small changes in initial conditions that get carried out through the runs. Seems pretty likely that we're out of the game out this way barring a huge change but for areas east of here that we're in the prime big dog threat zone until tonight's 00z runs, there's still room for this to come back. The secondary Pacific wave being sampled tomorrow should finally clear up how this is gonna go.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

In all my years of doing this i have never seen anything like this especially with the euro. Can never recall a single time it showed what it did last night and the night before inside of day 5 and simply vanish or miss as the GFS and others would suggest! Crazy!

1 minute ago, Harry Perry said:

Intrigued to see tomorrow’s runs after 18/21z.

Oh I will wait until then as well, but seeing the northern stream rearing its ugly head is one that will be hard to change away. Lack of data being added to the models from Alaska is really killing their ability to model the atmosphere in the US.

9 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Happens more often than people remember.

I never recall this model showing a storm hitting like it did two nights in a row inside of day 5 and just about lose it! We have been doing this alot of years and i cannot recall it? Feel free to point out whatever i may have forgotten.

Oh well! Pretty wild to say the least. :lol:

10 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Oh it is insane, feel like I just wasted several days chasing nothing.

I almost thought I was looking at the wrong model/run.  Had to double/triple check.  00z Euro definitely a big eastward shift/move toward *relative* mediocrity (compared to what it has been advertising)

4 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Oh I will wait until then as well, but seeing the northern stream rearing its ugly head is one that will be hard to change away. Lack of data being added to the models from Alaska is really killing their ability to model the atmosphere in the US.

This right here! I doubt it comes back as well.

10 minutes ago, Harry said:

I never recall this model showing a storm hitting like it did two nights in a row inside of day 5 and just about lose it! We have been doing this alot of years and i cannot recall it? Feel free to point out whatever i may have forgotten.

Oh well! Pretty wild to say the least. :lol:

The original question by the other poster was not very specific.  When there's not a storm (especially a modeled huge one like this), what model had which solution at which time tends to not be remembered as well.  There's been plenty of times when the Euro has shifted to the GFS... certainly the case if you include patterns in the long range, etc. 

As far as what you're saying, the February 09 phantom bomb may be a candidate?  That one started unraveling right around 4 days out iirc. Would have to think more for examples.

8 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I almost thought I was looking at the wrong model/run.  Had to double/triple check.  00z Euro definitely a big eastward shift/move toward *relative* mediocrity (compared to what it has been advertising)

I mean it is insane how much has changed in one model run almost to the point that it isn't believable.

Archived