• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 11-13 Winter Storm

Hoosier

Evening Area Forecast Discussion from the National Weather Service in Cleveland...

.LONG TERM /FRIDAY THROUGH MONDAY/...
Overall pattern shaping up to send us back into the deep freeze for 
a period of time. Upper level trough will dig into the eastern 
United States once again and allow arctic air to return to the 
region. A surface low pressure system will develop near the 
Oklahoma Panhandle and then track northeast through the Ohio 
River Valley. This is the favored track for ideal synoptic snows
for northern Ohio and northwest Pennsylvania provided warm 
conveyor belt from the Atlantic Ocean does not penetrate too far
west into the storm system. All indications are that this will 
indeed take place causing copious amounts of moisture to track 
back west along the northern and eastern periphery of the 
surface low pressure system. Along with the moisture will come 
the warm air in the middle levels as arctic air slides southeast
across the area. This will set the stage for a potential 
isentropic lift producing liquid precipitation that will become 
a mixed bag of precipitation across the southeast half of the 
forecast area. Depth of the cold air in the northwest half 
should support all snow. So, this storm will have to be 
monitored closely for the makings of a potential winter storm 
for northern Ohio and northwest Pennsylvania.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're different storms but two I can think of that may or may not be good analogs?

1. The Boxing Day storm (I think 2012).  That trended a bit southeast from early model runs.  Was a mixed bag here but blizz warnings from southern IN into western OH.

2. The early January 2014 storm.  Heartbreaker here but plastered IN and MI pretty good.  That one was bullseyeing us 5 or 6 days before but   slowly and steadily  trended north and west. 

I haven't posted in a long while. But, I like the potential for this system considering with that we're going to have a negative tilt. My only worry is that the warm air will stick around and that this system can trend back to the west. We're supposed to get into the low to mid 60s Thursday and based on what I've witnessed, warm air always wins out in my neck of the woods. 

47 minutes ago, buckeye said:

They're different storms but two I can think of that may or may not be good analogs?

1. The Boxing Day storm (I think 2012).  That trended a bit southeast from early model runs.  Was a mixed bag here but blizz warnings from southern IN into western OH.

2. The early January 2014 storm.  Heartbreaker here but plastered IN and MI pretty good.  That one was bullseyeing us 5 or 6 days before but   slowly and steadily  trended north and west. 

The 12/26/12 storm was actually on the CIPS list.

3 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Yeah and that front is still moving east, I don't agree with the extrapolation above, you can see it on the p type map/temp map that the front hasn't stalled.

There's a band of decent snow amounts through mby through 84 hrs, but I think heavier snow totals would end up occurring farther east beyond the end of the run. In any case, there is only so much analysis that should be put into the later panels of the NAM. 

7 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

Nam @84 hours is far west of the GFS/GGEM and very progressive. If extrapolated, Chicago and surrounding areas would see the heaviest amounts with rain/ice elsewhere.

That low in KY isn't even the main secondary. Energy starting to go neg tilt is down in AL by the GOM.

3 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Yeah and that front is still moving east, I don't agree with the extrapolation above, you can see it on the p type map/temp map that the front hasn't stalled.

Yes, I agree. My mistake. Would probably be similar to the 18z GFS, give or take. H5 looks similar at 84 hours. Progressive run!

I can't draw right now to illustrate this but one of the changes since 18z is in the northern stream.  See the 540 and 546 contours and how they are farther south into the trough on the 00z run?  The 18z GFS made a similar move in that regard but not to the same extent as the 00z NAM.  

namconus_z500_vort_us_51.thumb.png.30ba819c69209408fb5c264b7476beec.png

namconus_z500_vort_us_53.thumb.png.0e820744202760f0f54c46ef0502f1cb.png

Big thing i am looking for is the strength of the Plains low ( first low ) as the strength of it may determine how far east our main system gets shoved. A weaker first low should help keep everything moving slower ( cold front etc ) which should allow the main system to come in further west.

Archived