• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Tn Valley Severe Weather

jaxjagman

Just watched the entire ariel coverage from News 5 Nashville, and I gotta say, this reminds me a lot of Joplin. The damage is nothing short of astonishing. Entire condo duplexes leveled. Many homes swept completely off their foundation, ground scouring, debarking... you name it. Just horrible. Absolute tragedy. 

This is just so awful to look at.  I woke up at 3 in the morning, and saw the warnings on the plateau then.  I went back to bed, because I figured it was "radar indicated" and surely it wouldn't get bad further east while we were only under a "marginal" risk.  I was shocked when I awoke to this news. 

As far as I know, this was mainly one supercell that wouldn't die.  Even after the tornado dissipated, high winds and hail were reported as far east as Jefferson Co in east TN, caused by the same storm. 

My takeaway from this is you don't need an "outbreak" of tornadoes to have devastation over a wide area.  One supercell thunderstorm can accomplish that on it's own when it travels this far and lives this long. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Witness Protection Program said:

Starting 14:55 into the video, that's probably EF4 damage, right?  Home after home blown down to their foundation.

Horrific! That's the scenes I remember from Joplin and Moore! Unfortunately, the strength and the fact this struck in the middle of the night, early March, people were not prepared! My prayers go out to these folks! Just heartbreaking!

1 hour ago, Witness Protection Program said:

Starting 14:55 into the video, that's probably EF4 damage, right?  Home after home blown down to their foundation.

It depends on quality of construction. There were 3 homes in a row swept clean in the 4/10/09 Good Friday EF4 in Murfreesboro, the strongest tornado of the year, but were given EF3 rating because of the crappy construction. 

Cookeville is clearly EF3, and maybe low-end EF4 if homes were constructed of somewhat better build.

• Like 1

Some good radio work being done by 94.1 out of Cookeville, TN.  Been some great information all day on the station.  Survey team reported 175+mph winds and was on the ground for 50 miles.  Nashville area was listed as an EF3.  They will be in Putnman Co tomorrow to investigate the damage there.  So, we should get some updates about the intensity on the Plateau after their work there.

https://newstalk941.com

• Like 3

There is a remembrance service at 6:00PM central in Cookeville.  A press conference will follow immediately which will provide updates.  Local authorities are still trying to locate dozens of people in an effort to determine their whereabouts.    They may very well be in hotels or with family members.  Trying times for sure.  If folks on the forum know a displaced person due to the weather events of last night, make sure they have checked-in with local authorities.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jaxjagman said:

Channel 2 said a car was parked in a 3rd floor apartment.Had to be at least a EF3.Death toll is up to 10 and people are still missing

https://thebig98.iheart.com/content/2020-03-03-nashville-tornado-hurls-car-into-3rd-floor-of-apartment-building/?keyid=WSIX&sc=editorial&pname=local_social&fbclid=IwAR0HgORxm8GrfO1c6LQcDIZxQNApsLmOb3JlqXVrysv9ZBak0jQjlUe1TyY

17 minutes ago, Wurbus said:

Cole Sullivan, from WBIR, tweeted that there are still 77 people missing in Putnam county. This is awful news and I'm praying for everyone that was affected in these storms!

https://www.wbir.com/article/weather/77-people-reported-missing-in-putnam-co-after-overnight-tornado/51-ef7324c7-c380-4a56-8f07-0c760cec3de1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Per WBIR yesterday, this supercell travelled over 300 miles and lasted over 6 hours.  All this damage and destruction caused by one single storm that nearly traversed the whole state west to east.  Further, it's amazing that this one storm was so long-lived in an environment that wasn't supercharged similar to events like 4/27/11.  It has changed my attitude toward "marginal" events.  It only takes one storm.   

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, JayCee said:

Per WBIR yesterday, this supercell travelled over 300 miles and lasted over 6 hours.  All this damage and destruction caused by one single storm that nearly traversed the whole state west to east.  Further, it's amazing that this one storm was so long-lived in an environment that wasn't supercharged similar to events like 4/27/11.  It has changed my attitude toward "marginal" events.  It only takes one storm.   

It is a little bit of a wake up call. I'll admit I usually see lower-end threat events as "Oh, maybe a quick spin-up or two." I don't ever think of them as producing long-track supercell tornadoes. I guess that's just been recency bias. Now the pendulum has swung the other way on the bias.

• Like 2

• Mr Bob locked this topic