Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Tn Valley Severe Weather

jaxjagman

10 minutes ago, Calderon said:

The Nashville/Mt. Juliet tornado is likely EF3 minimum based on multiple nearly completely destroyed structures. The completely destroyed homes in Mt. Juliet may warrant an upgrade, pending structural review. 

Channel 2 said a car was parked in a 3rd floor apartment.Had to be at least a EF3.Death toll is up to 10 and people are still missing

The cell moved directly over the top of my area but had obviously lifted by then. My dog that is def started barking and that’s when the Warning went out. I got up to take a look and the winds were probably 40ish mph directly out of the north. What’s really wild is we’re talking mid 60’s temps and upper 50’s DP at night feeding a long track super cell that’s probably high end EF3 at the least. How does that happen?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

What’s really wild is we’re talking mid 60’s temps and upper 50’s DP at night feeding a long track super cell that’s probably high end EF3 at the least. How does that happen?

I believe the lapse rates were pretty high with this severe weather event.  That could have compensated for the lower temperatures and dewpoints somewhat.

This also seems to be the first really bad tornado this year.  It’s only been a few months since we had a tornado go through north Dallas on October 20th, so it has not been too long since we last had a tornado go through a densely populated urban area.  Unfortunately this time around people lost their lives (unlike in Dallas, despite that being one of the costliest US tornadoes monetarily, and that tornado was probably weaker than what moved through Nashville), and the late-night timing could not be worse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Matthew70 said:

My family is safe but my brother lost his house and my mom has damage in Lebanon. My sis is 4 miles from devastation and knows several who have passed in Cookeville.

So sorry to hear that Matt...just an awful night. Hopefully something is set up so others from outside the area can donate or help. Loss of life is tragic always but sad that it was in literal middle of night, just awful situation.

Those homes on Mt. Juliet will be the dictating factor if this is upgraded to EF4 or not, and given the immediately adjacent damage to the foundation, the construction was probably not the best. The cars are barely displaced and the trees that fell right beside them aren’t even partially defoliated, even if they are pines. It basically looks like the house just got shoved right over into the backyard.

39 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

19 people were sleeping at home in their beds and didn't wake this morning. Pretty crazy to think about a nighttime tornado in early March with low 60s temps creating a tornado strong enough to do that type of damage. Was it 10% hatch tornado last night in that area? 

Why's that? It's honestly pretty commonplace to see that up here in Ohio, especially in the Fall

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

19 people were sleeping at home in their beds and didn't wake this morning. Pretty crazy to think about a nighttime tornado in early March with low 60s temps creating a tornado strong enough to do that type of damage. Was it 10% hatch tornado last night in that area? 

No... 5% TOR

• Thanks 1

• Mr Bob locked this topic